3rd vaccine never mentioned by vet, kittens are now late for it. Advice

SoftAries

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so very stressed about this, but I just found out today while trying to arrange spaying for my two female kittens that they require a third vaccine shot, and absolutely no one told me until today. It makes no sense that neither of the vets I went to mentioned it to me, nor did any of them try to reschedule for the third one. And my kitten knowledge is 17 years old, my first girl I only recall getting 2.

Here's more info on their last shots:
My one girl got hers 7/14/23
My other girl got hers 8/28/23

Is this going to impact them? Can I still get them vaccinated? Will their spay appointments the first week of October effect the vaccines?
I'm really scared I messed them up for a healthy long life, I'm in tears.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
My cats only got two initial vaccine shots when they were kittens too.

Do the vets insist that the kittens be vaccinated 3 times before they can be spayed? Or will they spay first and the let you schedule another vaccine? Are they having their core vaccines or is it something else?

Cat Vaccinations: A Quick & Useful Guide - TheCatSite

There's no reason your kittens won't be able to get spayed and vaccinated. Some vets don't like to do both at the same time, because the anesthesia given for a spay will affect the kitten's body temperature, which affect how well the vaccine works. However, cats that I've TNR'd have been spayed/neutered and then vaccinated a few hours later with out any problems.

I don't think you need to worry about having caused any long lasting problems for them.

:hugs:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always heard of two vaccines in the first months, the booster after a year from the second shot.

What I also know is that a vaccine isn't advised shortly before or after a surgery, say at least one month apart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SoftAries

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats only got two initial vaccine shots when they were kittens too.

Do the vets insist that the kittens be vaccinated 3 times before they can be spayed? Or will they spay first and the let you schedule another vaccine? Are they having their core vaccines or is it something else?

Cat Vaccinations: A Quick & Useful Guide - TheCatSite

There's no reason your kittens won't be able to get spayed and vaccinated. Some vets don't like to do both at the same time, because the anesthesia given for a spay will affect the kitten's body temperature, which affect how well the vaccine works. However, cats that I've TNR'd have been spayed/neutered and then vaccinated a few hours later with out any problems.

I don't think you need to worry about having caused any long lasting problems for them.

:hugs:
I really appreciate the reassurance, I was really panicked. I was just wracking my brain all night wondering if I had completely misremembered the vaccines being 3.

I actually did end up getting in contacting a vet this morning the second they opened and they said the same about the spay and vaccine combination, they also assured me that the third one isn't as time sensitive as the first two, which they both got on time.
It's sucky because a lot of the literature I was reading on this was a little doomsday saying that not getting all three in a timely manner would result in having a cat that's not really protected like they would have if they got them all at the right times. But then others just said two 😥

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm sure they're going to be fine. Lots of my semi-feral cats were outdoors until they were 4 to 6 months of age. All they've had is the initial vaccine, a spay or neuter and then a second vaccine. They're all 10, 11 or 12 years old now and they're very healthy

Thank you for taking such good care of your kittens. They're really lucky to have you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SoftAries

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sure they're going to be fine. Lots of my semi-feral cats were outdoors until they were 4 to 6 months of age. All they've had is the initial vaccine, a spay or neuter and then a second vaccine. They're all 10, 11 or 12 years old now and they're very healthy

Thank you for taking such good care of your kittens. They're really lucky to have you.
Thank you so much for the additional comfort! That's actually the same for the one feral kitten the colony here had. Again why I was confused initially.

And aww, that's sweet of you to say! Cats are my life 🥺💕