3rd Cat or Not?

mek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

We currently have 2 cats, a girl and a boy. They are 1 and 1/2 years old and we got them as kittens from the street.

While they don't fight viciously their play can get pretty rough with some squeeling from the girl who is quite a bit smaller. I don't think he knows how strong he is and may pin her down and nip her. She is pretty bad also though, often chasing / stalking / pouncing him. There has never really been a lot of stuff like hissing or blood drawing or scratching or anything like that however.

On top of this semi fighting issue, the girl is extremely jealous when it comes to attention especially from my partner. Obviously this is a fairly common thing but she specifically has to give our girl cat more attention or she gets very jealous. One issue may be that when she was very small we actually had a different male kitten with her. He died though in a freak bad reaction to anesthetic. He was a very sweet cat and laid back and got on extremely well with her. When he died I felt she was changed a bit and now with a different cat instead with a slightly different temperament, they just don't get on as well at all.

I'm getting a bit derailed but basically we were thinking of getting an additional boy cat. Something extremely laid back like a ragdoll. Perhaps as kind of a peacemaker or someone that could take attention away from each other. I'm worried it might make more jealousy issues or generally just make the dynamic even worse. I also wouldn't want to bring a kitten in if he would just get bullied.

I probably make the situation sound a lot worse than it is. I just want to be really sure we make the right choice if it comes to getting another cat because I don't mind either way, it is more for them than for us.

Any input welcomed.

Regards

//Philip

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Every cat you add to the household increases the chances of problems. However, what can I say? We have four of our own, and two fosters. Right now the foster kittens are in the "get swatted and cower" stage, but soon they will be romping with Flambe, getting loved on by "mama" Sterling, and staying out of the way (mostly) of Ella and Punkin.

Another boy that can use up some of the over-enthusiasm of your boy might be a very good idea.