3ish Week Old Not Pooping

Rae17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had a 3ish week old female kitten for 5 days now. She was found in a box and monitored for 7 hours before it was assumed there was no momma (looked like she had been dumped) and I offered to take her in. Her ears are starting to come up, and today her walk isn't as wobbly.

She is on KMR and started eating on day 2 and has had a great appetite since then. However, she has not pooped once. She might have had some come day 1-2 on her own, but has not had any since then with or without stimulation. Urine output has been really good as well.

Today she started to have a funny meow and threw up once after a feeding. Her tummy is distended and seems to be getting worse (wasn't hard yesterday, is today). She's had two small amounts of enema given since Friday night but nothing has come with it. I've added TINY amounts of oil to 1 bottle a day (2-3 drops) as well the past two days.

Any further recommendations? At this point I'm not sure what else the vet could do for me and I'm out of ideas.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can add oil to each bottle. You can also try a sliver of a glycerin suppository for infants.

How are you stimulating her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rae17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can add oil to each bottle. You can also try a sliver of a glycerin suppository for infants.

How are you stimulating her?
I mostly have tried wipes, warm wash cloth, or cotton balls and rubbed in a circular motion while holding her upright. I have also tried holding her on her back so I could see more of what I was doing, and gently squeezing with my thumb and index finger to massage her anus.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of our advisors, @catwoman707 , recommends holding the kitten on its back under a gentle faucet of warm water. If you tap the anus with your finger while under the water, this will sometimes be relaxing enough for them to go.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A vet will know how to get poop out of her. If she is to the point of being sick, she needs medical intervention.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rae17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of our advisors, @catwoman707 , recommends holding the kitten on its back under a gentle faucet of warm water. If you tap the anus with your finger while under the water, this will sometimes be relaxing enough for them to go.
I just tried your recommendation with no results, but it did relax her after a minute or so. I'm wondering if I should try it again later. I also just added some more oil to this bottle and will continue to do so with future bottles!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try the sliver of an infant glycerin suppository. Insert it and wait 10-15 minutes, then stimulate. The glycerin usually works well.

Oscar&Copper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My baby needed an enema at that age :( We had such a hard time with pooping. After 2 vet visits for bowel movements we ended up giving him a vitalax supplement daily and watering down his formula slightly, very slowly over a course of 2 weeks he became regular. Pooping was our biggest struggle. Good Luck!