3day old kitten

emuishere

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so my father in law refuses to get his female fixed. She had a third litter of kittens and completely rejected them. Shes an out door cat. At this point she has just become feral. So my aunt and I (she has been fostering for over 15years) took in the kittens because he doesnt care about them at all and was just going to let them die. Originally there was 5 now there's only one. Two had died before we got there and the other two died from not beinh fed for two days. The one we have now seems to be doing pretty good. He eats well but as of
A few hours ago hes doing the whole only taking a few drinks then stopping. Is this ok? He takes a few every three hours. I have helped him poop and pee and burped him. He's not cold and loves to wiggle around lol. Any suggestions? Will he be ok?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok so my father in law refuses to get his female fixed. She had a third litter of kittens and completely rejected them. Shes an out door cat. At this point she has just become feral. So my aunt and I (she has been fostering for over 15years) took in the kittens because he doesnt care about them at all and was just going to let them die. Originally there was 5 now there's only one. Two had died before we got there and the other two died from not beinh fed for two days. The one we have now seems to be doing pretty good. He eats well but as of
A few hours ago hes doing the whole only taking a few drinks then stopping. Is this ok? He takes a few every three hours. I have helped him poop and pee and burped him. He's not cold and loves to wiggle around lol. Any suggestions? Will he be ok?
Ouch, you have a crisis here.  Red alert is on.

What kmr did you used, exactly?   When you say he is just drinking now, you mean, plain water?   A few swallows every three hours is too little.  It may be enough with feisty, healthy kitten, but not with a kitten in crisis

Smear a little glucose sugar on his gum, it will give him some energy.   If you dont have real glucose sugar, then something which do contain glucose sugar. For example, white caro syrup, honey, maple syrup, or almost any half-liquid syrup... 

Give him more water, preferably something along pedialyte, bought or home made.  Because deydration is one of the dangers.   A nice basic home made pedialyte may be, you use minerale water of some sort, containing different salts.  You see it on the label.  Perrier, Polish water, almost any. Let the koldioxide bubbles out. Dissolve in there some glucose sugar, as above.  And give with a dropper or needleless syringe, in the corner of the mouth.

Do you use a bottle or a needleless syringe?  A syringe is in some ways easier if they are reluctant.

You must try to give, even if he seems he doesnt want.   Its tricky of course, and double so if he dont swallow actively...

Tummy down, head a little up, in the corner of the mouth, carefully so he wont get any fluid into the lungs.  Although I presume your aunt knows this, being an experienced fosterer.

The kmr we do recommend, is: PetAg´s  KMR in powder as first choice.   There are others good, Royal Canin baby cat milk is good, they have a good bottle too.

GNC has several good, made on goat milk as base.

Raw goat milk is excellent, you can use it if you can get it.  Bottled full fat goat milk  (ie 3-3,2%) is OK too.

The kitten needs minimum 8 ml / Oz.   If we take a smallish, but fully normal newborn of 90 grammes = 3 oz, it will give  a minimum of 24 ml kmr or goat milk a day.

If you give it every 3 hours, it means 8 ml every time.

Althoug I recommend every 2 hours, or even more often, as long as he isnt stabilized and the alert flags aren down.

I see he hasnt problems with eliminating - good.

Him wiggling is of course a good sign.  Its much more difficult to save them when they had begin to crash.

As he wiggles, he has still some resources and life in him,

So fight on, do what you need, but be sure he gets kmr or or goat milk inside him.  Minimum 8 ml / 30 grammes.

He shall gain every day minimum 6- 8 grammes, about a quarter of an Oz,  if he is smallish, minimum 10+ (about one third of an OZ)  is he is normally weigh at birth, ie had about 90 grammes or more. = 3 Oz.

This means of course, you must have an reliable scale, preferably an electronical scale measuring in grammes.  And weith ghim every day.  Now  when he is in crisis, every 12 hours.

Re the mom.  Cant you kidnap her and spay her yourself??  Without asking this nonchalant and not caring "owner"?    After all, being his close relative, you do have some extra rights, which an outside wouldnt have.  There are almost surely some low cost spay clinic nearby, so it doesnt even cost a fortune...

End of THIS message.

Please come with reports, and further questions.

Good luck!

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok done.  Please renew your picture.

And please come with the answers asked for.  You are welcome with further questions.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What does he is not cold means exactly?  Does he have a heat source?   Its not enough for him to be in a warm room, or have some blanket to hide in.

Small kittens cant keep their own body warmth, they must be warmed up actively.  By mom, a heat source, or you.  For example if you carry him at your chest.

A fleece blanket is good, it feels almost like moms fur.

A stuffed animal as compoanion, may also be useful.  He wont feel as alone,  and it will give him more will to live and fight for live.

Good luck!

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can't carry him at your chest as @StefanZ   suggests a heating pad is usually the nest best thing.  He has to be warm before you try to feed him- it actually can also be disastrous if you try to fed a cold kitten.

How is he doing now?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It may be one reason the kitten is not eating, because it is not warm enough. We are rooting for you & the kitten, but you must be vigilant & do what StefanZ says with regard to feeding.

Please try to trap this mother cat as StefanZ suggested & have it spayed. It is cruel to deliberately let it go wild, and even more cruel to deliberately let kittens die.

Bless you and your aunt for being so caring!