30 days equals 1 pound

blackcat416

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it unrealistic to get a cat to gain 1 pound in 30 days?

On Dec 28th I adopted 2 more cats, a total of 8 now, a 4 month old kitten named Sophie and a 10 year old boy we named Murphy from a local animal shelter where I have adopted all my cats from present and past. This sad story is about Murphy the 10 year old. Murphy was given up to the shelter 8 months ago by his elderly owners who could no longer care for him. The was adopted within a week, the new owner, although they signed an agreement to do no harm or alterations to Murphy did, they first had him declawed then neglected him because he started biting them. After 6 months he was returned to the shelter, declawed, under weight, skin acne under his chin and so flea infected that he hardly has any fur left on his body. He still has scabs from flea bites from his neck to the end of his tail. So I have taken on the responsibility and challenge to make Murphy once more a happy cat in a living and caring home. On the day I picked him up from the shelter we went right to my vet for shots, a full exam and blood work. He is free of flea's but not the damage they did to him both physically and mentally. He was very good at the vet, no hissing or growling but more traumatized then anything. My vet cleaned his ears which though disgustingly filthy had no ear mites just heavy wax build up. For a full grown cat, who is a nice size male, he only weighed in at 8 lbs. Every rib of his is showing. His feet for some reason has ulcers on them, my vet said it could have been caused by him sitting in his cage at the shelter in his own pee because he is so traumatized, as I know the shelter very well and all cages are cleaned daily. My vet also told me he is probably very depressed. So after the vet, we head home. The little kitten went into my house first, since I had to set her up in a private room so she could relax after being fixed the day before I picked her and Murphy up. I left Murphy in the hallway, behind closed doors, in his carrier until I was done with the kitten. I always believed in immediate introductions with newbies but Murphy was a special cat. So I tried my usual way and decided if it went bad I could snatch Murphy up and put him in his own room as well. So I placed him in the middle of the living room and opened his carrier. Murphy walked right out of the carrier into my Virgil's nose, they did sniff sniff and all was well as Virgil walked away, next Matthew, sniff sniff nose to nose and Matthew was done. Now coming down the steps is Ryan the Alpha cat in my house, sniff then lots if hissing and growling by Ryan. Murphy just stood there looking again traumatized. So for 2 days their was lots if hissing and growling by Ryan, finally on day 3 Murphy hissed back and things started to settle down, except I couldn't get Murphy to eat. I tried hard food, canned food, raw food. I put hard food in doggie bowls on all 3 floors and in 5 different area's. Finally I got him to eat some hard food out of my hand while gently rubbing his face only on the side. Day 4 the blood work is back, all is some what ok, vitamin deficiency only so me and Murphy head back to the vet for a B12 and a vitamin shot. Now it's 12 days later, kitten is free doing her thing, running and jumping on everyone and anything. Murphy is still not eating good, he is only eating handfuls of IAM's dry. We go back to the vet on the 22nd and I was hoping that I can get Murphy to gain a 1 lbs in 30 days. Please I am looking for any advise or recommendations you can offer. Some other things Murphy hasn't missed the liter box once, I showed him the basement with 9 litter boxes. Also Murphy is drinking plenty. I have big water bowls in every bathroom and even one in the basement. So if you have any suggestions, comments, etc. I would appreciate hearing from you. Thank you, Rose

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, bless you for giving Murphy a second chance at a loving home. From your description it sounds as though he has gone through a lot. First the declawing which removes a cat's primary defence mechanism, and then to be neglected and end up having to suffer through an untreated flea infestation. Poor kitty. Grrrrr. But he now has you and what sounds like a loving and responsible home.

With so much that has gone on with Murphy, the surrender, neglect and skin issues from the fleas, it may take some time before he feels like himself again. Stress can keep some cats from putting on weight. You should consider supplementation to help boost and support his immune system like some L-Lysine which may help with stress but also help to improve the skin damage from the fleas. Coconut oil applied externally may also help heal damaged skin. As far as food I would suggest good quality wet food of different flavors in case there is something he prefers and to just keep trying to get him to eat.

Wishing you both all the best in the days ahead.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

blackcat416

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I will give the L-Lysine a try. Do you know if it's over the counter or from the vet. I am very fortunate to have a great job, nice large house and a man that helps me with my addiction to cats. I make sure that I get to play with them every morning for 30 mins then at night for at least an hour or until I am too tired. Then 5 minutes each of hugging and kissing before bed. I am fortunate and very fulfilled. As you can well imagine I have no biological children, just my furrie kids.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I will give the L-Lysine a try. Do you know if it's over the counter or from the vet. I am very fortunate to have a great job, nice large house and a man that helps me with my addiction to cats. I make sure that I get to play with them every morning for 30 mins then at night for at least an hour or until I am too tired. Then 5 minutes each of hugging and kissing before bed. I am fortunate and very fulfilled. As you can well imagine I have no biological children, just my furrie kids.
That sounds lovely Rose .. You should be able to get the L-Lysine through your vet as well as online and at health and whole food stores.

kittleherder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so glad you decided to add Murphy to your family.  I love seeing older cats find good homes!

I know this sounds like a really silly question and maybe I missed it above, but have you tried treats?  I know it's not an ideal substitute for food, but secluding yourself and a scared cat with a bag of treats is a great opportunity for bonding.  It really sounds like he is depressed.  You never know the experiences he's had in ten years with other cats or people, so giving him some time alone and with your undivided attention (and treats) for a half hour or so every night may help.

Treats are also pretty high in calories and are irresistible to just about all cats.  If he's not too skittish you can turn it into play time, tossing them or sliding them across the floor to him.  It will help distract him from what's on his mind and encourage him to play more.  Raising his spirits will raise his appetite. 

I've made friends with a lot of cats, feral and domestic, through treats.  It doesn't make them lap cats right away, or often ever, but it does provide and very pleasant and repetitious association with you as a source of comfort, which builds trust.

Good luck with Murphy, please keep us updated!

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This might be a silly question but have you tried giving him people food?  We have a lot of elderly clients who think that is what cats should eat.  Did the vet check his teeth and they were okay?  Have you tried Feliway to help calm him?  Have you tried feeding him Tuna Fish or kibble or canned with tuna juice?  He may be in residual pain from the declaw, that is EXTREMELY old to be declawed.  Have you asked your vet about that?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Rose!

Gosh, I have so much to say!

I have a cat rescue group, and quite often am pulling cats and kitten litters off of death row here.

All sorts of reasons, if nothing else no space so they die. Horrible, it certainly is, it's one of the biggest and most bothersome things that come with rescuing. I don't do well at all with the saying, "you can't save them all".......

Anyway, there is nothing more tragic to me than seeing cats there who have been either surrendered by the people/person, or by the family when someone dies. Same goes for abandoned, once thought they were loved and wanted, cats, only to end up on death row, can you imagine their thoughts? What have I done, and so on.....it aches my heart.

I KNOW all too well how difficult it is for senior cats to find homes. Often times that one home they had is all they will ever know.

So, I just ADORE you for saving Murphy!! 

Now, he definitely sounds depressed. Who could blame the poor guy?!! Jeez..

I think things are going rather well for them all, adjusting fine, etc. Even your top cat boss, he is simply stating his position in the home to the new kid on the block. He also knows distinctly that Murphy has no intent on threatening his position either, where a younger male might just try.

So all that is good, however rather than the long time it will take for him to forget his past and re-adapt and get secure, perhaps it's a good idea to spend lots of one on one time with him, allowing him to grow fond of you, a bond. Away from the others though. I don't mean always, but maybe half of each day, allow only him to be with you in your room or someplace, where there aren't any distractions or anything, just the two of you.

Baby him, treat him well, talk lots to him, kisses and hugs, you know :)

He will heal and gain weight just fine, especially if a cat is underweight and they get back to eating daily, as he adjusts emotionally, he will turn around physically as well.

Natural Balance Ultra Premium dry food is great, affordable, and has 470 calories per cup. High calorie content, as well as alot of great nutrients he needs.

I would supplement him with a dinner of canned food too.

As another poster said, treats are calorie dense too if he likes them. 4 treats are 5 calories. That's a good amt in cat calories.

The declawed part, very sad and unfortunate. One of the big drawbacks pet owners find out the hard way is, many cats become biters, their only defense left! It's no wonder right?

Not sure about the flea meds given, but they will need repeating often until the eggs/larvae are gone. The scabs will clear soon enough.

As for the question, whether you can get him to gain a pound in 30 days? Absolutely, more than 1 lb even, but that is, once he is comfy enough to gain his normal appetite back.

blackcat416

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you decided to add Murphy to your family.  I love seeing older cats find good homes!

I know this sounds like a really silly question and maybe I missed it above, but have you tried treats?  I know it's not an ideal substitute for food, but secluding yourself and a scared cat with a bag of treats is a great opportunity for bonding.  It really sounds like he is depressed. 
OMG. I got Murphy to eat about 10 Temptations - mixed beef treats. I put them on the end of his sofa chair that he calls home that has a real soft cat blanket on and just started petting his face and scratching his head a little harder then I normally do, then he walked over to the treats and ate them. Then he got scared, spooked and ran upstairs but I still got him to eat something. Don't know what spooked him because I don't even have a TV in the cats living room. But we have a good result. Now I know I have to be careful with Temptations because it gives my other cats diarrhea. So they only get 5 each. I will keep you posted.

blackcat416

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This might be a silly question but have you tried giving him people food?  We have a lot of elderly clients who think that is what cats should eat.  Did the vet check his teeth and they were okay?  Have you tried Feliway to help calm him?  Have you tried feeding him Tuna Fish or kibble or canned with tuna juice?  He may be in residual pain from the declaw, that is EXTREMELY old to be declawed.  Have you asked your vet about that?
I tried turkey but it was unsalted so I going to the market today and get the real processed turkey as real as processed meats can be. Also I have 3 Feliway's plugged in. Kitchen were all the other cats eat, bathroom that has a big water bowl that Murphy drinks from and the cats living room. I think I will pick up some of the store tuna in water as well as I tried our tuna that the white albacore not much water in that. Also vet said is teeth are awesome surprisingly enough so he must have eaten lots of hard food. Thank you so much for your recommendations. I need all the help I can get.

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG. I got Murphy to eat about 10 Temptations - mixed beef treats. I put them on the end of his sofa chair that he calls home that has a real soft cat blanket on and just started petting his face and scratching his head a little harder then I normally do, then he walked over to the treats and ate them. Then he got scared, spooked and ran upstairs but I still got him to eat something. Don't know what spooked him because I don't even have a TV in the cats living room. But we have a good result. Now I know I have to be careful with Temptations because it gives my other cats diarrhea. So they only get 5 each. I will keep you posted.
That's awesome! Yay Murphy!

@kittleherder: The idea to give treats as a means of bonding and adding weight, was a brilliant suggestion!
And the one on one time that catwoman suggested is a really good idea too, to help Murphy feel more connected and bonded with mom.

Last edited:

blackcat416

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Rose!

Gosh, I have so much to say!
I have a cat rescue group, and quite often am pulling cats and kitten litters off of death row here.
All sorts of reasons, if nothing else no space so they die. Horrible, it certainly is, it's one of the biggest and most bothersome things that come with rescuing. I don't do well at all with the saying, "you can't save them all".......

Anyway, there is nothing more tragic to me than seeing cats there who have been either surrendered by the people/person, or by the family when someone dies. Same goes for abandoned, once thought they were loved and wanted, cats, only to end up on death row, can you imagine their thoughts? What have I done, and so on.....it aches my heart.

I KNOW all too well how difficult it is for senior cats to find homes. Often times that one home they had is all they will ever know.
So, I just ADORE you for saving Murphy!!  :clap:

Now, he definitely sounds depressed. Who could blame the poor guy?!! Jeez..
I think things are going rather well for them all, adjusting fine, etc. Even your top cat boss, he is simply stating his position in the home to the new kid on the block. He also knows distinctly that Murphy has no intent on threatening his position either, where a younger male might just try.

So all that is good, however rather than the long time it will take for him to forget his past and re-adapt and get secure, perhaps it's a good idea to spend lots of one on one time with him, allowing him to grow fond of you, a bond. Away from the others though. I don't mean always, but maybe half of each day, allow only him to be with you in your room or someplace, where there aren't any distractions or anything, just the two of you.
Baby him, treat him well, talk lots to him, kisses and hugs, you know :)

He will heal and gain weight just fine, especially if a cat is underweight and they get back to eating daily, as he adjusts emotionally, he will turn around physically as well.

Natural Balance Ultra Premium dry food is great, affordable, and has 470 calories per cup. High calorie content, as well as alot of great nutrients he needs.
I would supplement him with a dinner of canned food too.

As another poster said, treats are calorie dense too if he likes them. 4 treats are 5 calories. That's a good amt in cat calories.

The declawed part, very sad and unfortunate. One of the big drawbacks pet owners find out the hard way is, many cats become biters, their only defense left! It's no wonder right?

Not sure about the flea meds given, but they will need repeating often until the eggs/larvae are gone. The scabs will clear soon enough.

As for the question, whether you can get him to gain a pound in 30 days? Absolutely, more than 1 lb even, but that is, once he is comfy enough to gain his normal appetite back.
Hi Catwomen, I am very fortunate, my house is huge and in my world I would have a cat in every room I walk into. I got Murphy on Dec 28th and his termination date was set for Jan 16th. The shelter gives every animal 90 days to be adopted out before... So it was a no brainier for me to get him out of there. Murphy and the kitten both even went to adopt a pet shows but nobody wants a 10 year old that's got bald spots all over him and the kitten is black so I've heard nobody wants black cats either whereas I already have Sally who is black and all my cats over the bridge were black. But I started this message some 20 hours ago, when I went to sleep tonight I laid down in the humans living room which is on the 2nd floor and where Murphy likes to sleep at night. So I get comfortable on the sofa, turned on the TV on low and cover up. No lights just the TV reflection, Murphy comes in and lays on the carpet right in front of me. He see's me, so I dropped my hand down and he walked over and rubbed his head on my hand more importantly he licked me several times. So I rubbed his head and scratched his neck then fell asleep. When I got up about an hour ago, he was still on the rug in front of me. He followed me downstairs and ate a full handful of IAM's. So we are making some progress. Thank you so for your note and I will keep you posted.

catman8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well with black cats comes stupid kids on holloween. Some kids try to kill them on holloween, other people adpot a black cat near Halloween bring the cats tohelloween parties to just return them afterwards. You ever try ti adpot a black cat in October? You cant......... and its for that reason. I think its is also why people dont adopt them. people dont want the troubled. How ever I love black cats. Use to one and would not mind having another.

By the way great and inspiring work your doing and have done with murphy.

Last edited:

blackcat416

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's just awful to hear. We only have 3 or 4 strays in our neighborhood they are TNR cats. A neighbor around the corner built a shelter for them right against his house in his flower garden. You wouldn't even know it was there with all the flowers and grass growing around it. It's really a nice cat house with a waterproof roof. At night he lines up 7 or 8 bowls of food on his top step for the strays. It's funny you say that because all of a sudden I am now seeing a little black kitten in his window, guess he thought best to keep the black one out if harms way. In the summertime they strays hang in the cemetery across the street from my house where I leave some nice hard food for them. But none are black.

catman8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was mad when I first found out about the Halloween thing too.I found out throw online chat posts ment for black cats ever science then I been telling people whom just got a black cats to so they will know. Maybe is litter will give me one. I am appecting my cats last pregnancy. But I am not think I will get one. Grandmas litter was all different color greys and was planned. Grandparents all grey brothers 2 grey sister 1 grey. So the sister and brother mated unplannedly while hanlding other problems. So I am pretty sure it will be a grey litter. :(

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Same here, all of our black cats, even ones with a bit of white are held back from adoptions the second half of October, just to be safe.

There's alot of sick people in this world, just can't tell by their looks. They are all around us everyday.  

The fact is, black cats are wonderful, and in studies of personalities, black cats rated the top cat to get along with everyone in multi cat homes. 

Plus, they are so slimming when you hold them against you :))  I think they are beautiful.

It's not so much that people don't adopt black cats, some may be superstitious thinking they are bad luck, but c'mon now, a silly old wive's tale from back in the dark ages.....

What I see is, when we have adoptions and there are all these different colors of cats, calicos, tabby's, siamese mix, white, orange, etc etc it seems people see colorful ones more attractive, not always, but often times. Which means the blacks are slower to be adopted.

Blackcat416, you and me both! I would fill my home with cats if I could.   

It sounds like progress in the making with Murph :))) Great news. 

blackcat416

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Murphy Update:
I got Murphy to actually purr yesterday while rubbing his head and neck. Haha. He has a purr box. Also got him to eat some fancy feast grill beef about a 1/2 oz. but when he stopped licking the ff he went over to the IAM's and ate the handful I have been placing on his blanket when I go over and talk and rub him. Yesterday I took my Saturday nap on one of the sofa's in the cats living room. When I got up I had Ryan behind my butt, Virgil on my pillow, the kitten Sophie out cold in the hockey net, Momma Pooch on her blanket on the other sofa, Matthew and Sally each in their own cat bed stand and Murphy on his sofa chair, Rachel out of site, she's the basement cat. Funny everyone was sleeping with their heads upside down with their paws over their face, even Murphy. More importantly it was so quiet in the house, not a noise from anywhere, it was like "the night before Christmas" story, not a creator was stirring. So I went into the kitchen to make myself a cup of coffee and just let them sleep. It was neat. Today I plan on trying the processed turkey on Murphy. Will keep you all posted.

kittleherder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yay!  I'm so happy to hear Murphy is happy and eating! 

A group nap session just means that everyone feels content and no one is on edge.  It's downright glorious sometimes!

Bravo for making him feel safe and loved!

blackcat416

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update:
Murphy ate some turkey. He wouldn't come into the kitchen yet to get his food but that's ok because I had 7 other cats screaming for the turkey also. I once I gave the troops their turkey I brought Murphy his and he ate it up. At night now My Jim has been finding him sleeping on his settee at the end of his bed, so we added a bowl of IAM's in Jim's room. Things are looking up. Will keep you all posted.