3 yr old cat starting to "knead" me!

marinalena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, so I have always heard that cats that knead were ones that were taken too early from their mommas, but she has NEVER kneaded before last week. And the only time she kneads is early morning whe she decides to give me luvvins. Ok, I can handle that because it is my shoulder, side, etc. BUT this morning she was kneading my chin/double chin (blushing), and her claws were sort of coming out, so it HURT and I was afraid I would have scratch marks on my face so I had to stop her.

The weird thing is that our other cat who is getting neutered tuesday(On my wedding anniversary! lol dh is asking me to change the appt! lol) is kneading too- was kneading before she started (with dd11), but now on me as well, and he is our other cats SON. So, if the rule is true......

But I just have to say, we got these cats July 2, and they were shy, scared, not loving at all, and now we have 2 very wonderful pets that will let anyone pick them up, carry them around, and every where I walk during the morning after the kids leave for school, they follow and lay in front of me for pets. Oreo one day was meewing for me, so I followed her to the front door. She wanted me to open it so she and Merlin could play/lay in the sunshine! lol as was my habit! lol

anyway, time to get kids off to school!

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually trained one of my cats to wait until I am under a blanket or some sort of covers to knead me. I love Sonny but he is a big cat and he was leaving scratches all over me. He still kneads on me but it does not hurt me anymore.

Sonny was raised with his mom and siblings and was separated at the correct age. My friend fostered the entire family.

reversedpolarit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Arc does it only very occasionally, mostly if i'm about to fall asleep and he's curled up with me. My cat that lives with my parents will do it ALL THE TIME. But Otto is a mega cuddly lap cat, and is so thrilled when anyone sits down for more than a minute that he has to leap on them and show his appreciation. Otto will happily knead for half an hour to an hour before settling down to snooze. 

When my very first cat (about a decade ago now!) was getting near the end he'd knead a lot, unfortunately he was quite incontinent and would dribble a lot, so I'd have to have a towel ready before he settled down to knead.