3-Year Rabies Vaccine

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not saying that vaccines aren't important. . .they are very important, especially for kittens (and puppies). And for lasting immunity, they do need to have one vaccine after 6 months, so that maternal antibodies don't interfere with the immune response. But frequent re-vaccination of adult animals is not important. Their immunity does not get stronger with repeated vaccination.

An adult cat vaccinated against rabies once IS protected from rabies for at least 7-10 years, probably for life. For legal protection, yes, the rabies vaccine has to be given according to the requirements of the municipality. So I would never advise anyone to go against the legal requirements of their area, especially if they have a lot of visitors to their home, increasing the chances of an "incident". I just think people should know that repeated vaccination is not necessary, and puts a strain on the immune system. Which causes problems in some cats.

The problems associated with repeat vaccination aren't always easily identifiable as vaccine reactions. For instance, my mom's old cat was fully vaccinated yearly until she was 8. She had irritable bowel disease her entire life. After we stopped vaccinating her, it started getting better, by the time she was 12 it was gone entirely. She's 21 now and is fine. Also, my first dog--that vet did an every-other-year vaccine schedule. In the years the dog was vaccinated, she would be far more aggressive with other dogs. In the off years, she was much less aggressive. It took me a while to link her aggression to the vaccines, but it was unmistakeable once I figured it out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxiecat03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

$40 for a fecal? You're being ripped off there. It costs $13.50 at my vet.
I know...that's why I say that I forgot to get a sample. I suppose I could take a sample in any time for testing....if I suspected something.
I have two cats...so if the first test did show parasites, I imagine that they'd ask me to bring in a sample from each...for further testing to see who had the parasites.
Offhand, what are the chances of either cat getting parasites? They are both indoor cats. We don't wear out outdoor shoes in the house. I frequently vacuum and wash the tiled floors. They eat only canned or dry food.

Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxiecat03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

I'm not saying that vaccines aren't important. . .they are very important, especially for kittens (and puppies). And for lasting immunity, they do need to have one vaccine after 6 months, so that maternal antibodies don't interfere with the immune response. But frequent re-vaccination of adult animals is not important. Their immunity does not get stronger with repeated vaccination.

An adult cat vaccinated against rabies once IS protected from rabies for at least 7-10 years, probably for life. For legal protection, yes, the rabies vaccine has to be given according to the requirements of the municipality. So I would never advise anyone to go against the legal requirements of their area, especially if they have a lot of visitors to their home, increasing the chances of an "incident". I just think people should know that repeated vaccination is not necessary, and puts a strain on the immune system. Which causes problems in some cats.
Willowy...why can't the Vets admit this? Why do they insist upon a vax every year? I'm hoping that my Vet will not give me a hassle about letting it go so my cats don't get vax every year. And certainly, not in the same year as their other vax.
One time I tried to protest (with another cat), they told me that they knew about a bat who flew into someone's house, bit the cat, and the cat died of rabies. Not sure if the cat had been vax or not.....but that's what they say to scare people. What the heck are the chances??? My cats would be under the bed...LOL...

I'll see what happens at their Vet visit next week. Wish me luck!!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by maxiecat03

I know...that's why I say that I forgot to get a sample. I suppose I could take a sample in any time for testing....if I suspected something.
I have two cats...so if the first test did show parasites, I imagine that they'd ask me to bring in a sample from each...for further testing to see who had the parasites.
Offhand, what are the chances of either cat getting parasites? They are both indoor cats. We don't wear out outdoor shoes in the house. I frequently vacuum and wash the tiled floors. They eat only canned or dry food.

Thanks!
Depends on the parasite... for the old basic roundworm my vet says no they cant unless they are cleaning each others rears or eating poop...

Zoey got out for less than 3 minutes and got a tapeworm... Fleas bring tapeworms and they can come in on your clothes... I do one fecal a yr per kitty

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

The thing about titers is that the antibodies will only be present if the cat was recently exposed to the disease. So they aren't 100% accurate. . .an indoor cat who is never exposed to diseases will show no/low antibodies, and an outdoor cat who is frequently exposed to the diseases will show high antibodies, while in reality both cats are equally protected. So I'm not sold on the value of titering, especially for indoor cats. Plus they usually cost around $70 so it's hard to justify the cost.
Originally Posted by sharky

This is very true... There are three parts in rabies immunity and the titers only show one... but while I wont do it in an area that is strict on vax you may think about it
Titers here are legal for cats over five years old, and my vet says it generally works. For a cat like Bugsy who gets tremendous vaccine reactions, and with some, even if very small risk of cancer involved with vaccination, I do think it is worth it, and I am doing it for all my cats once they hit that age...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Titers here are legal for cats over five years old, and my vet says it generally works. For a cat like Bugsy who gets tremendous vaccine reactions, and with some, even if very small risk of cancer involved with vaccination, I do think it is worth it, and I am doing it for all my cats once they hit that age...
Titers are great if they can legally get you out of vaccinating your cats. I'm all for that. If someone is relying on it to tell them if their cat is protected, it's unnecessary. Although if it makes a cat owner feel better and isn't a financial hardship. . .more power to them.

cs2008

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this thread is old, but I wanted to update it with more current (and accurate) information regarding vaccines and tumors in cats for those who read through these old threads for info now. TL;DR: Recent research indicates no difference in 1 year and 3 year vaccines, regardless of adjuvant content in vaccines, in risk for sarcomas in felines.

See the 2013 AAFP Feline Vaccination Advisory Panel Report (Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery, 15(9), 785-808): http://jfm.sagepub.com/content/15/9/785.full.pdf+html (it is free access).
"Update on feline injection-site sarcomas (FISS)

Vaccine-associated sarcoma was first recognized as an issue in cats in the early 1990s. While initial studies suggested a risk of sarcoma development in around 2/10,000 doses of vaccine administered, which increased to 13–36/10,000 doses in other studies, current estimates based on larger epidemiologic studies (published between 2002 and 2007) suggest that the risk of sarcoma development following vaccination is actually very low (probably well below 1/10,000 doses of vaccine). Although initial reports linked development of sarcomas at vaccination sites with the use of inactivated rabies or FeLV vaccines, and aluminum-based adjuvants, more recent studies found no relationship between vaccine type, brand or use of inactivated versus modified-live vaccines and the risk of subsequent sarcoma formation.

When considering vaccine type, the Advisory Panel recommends that the following be taken into consideration. Recent studies demonstrate that all vaccines carry some risk of inducing FISS, as do at least some other injectable products. Although current information as outlined above does not clearly show differences in risk of FISS development between modified-live and inactivated vaccines, some Advisory Panel members consider that, on balance, risk might be mitigated by the use of modified-live vaccines. There are also other factors that may influence the choice of live versus inactivated vaccines (see Table 6 and Appendix 1 [General FAQs], page 803). Overall, however, the Advisory Panel concluded that, at the current time, there is insufficient information to make definitive recommendations to use particular vaccine types to reduce the risk of FISS."

Last edited by a moderator: