3 Year Old Persian Has Blood In Urine

Jzk220

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 3 year old female persian, has clumps of blood mixed with a milky white substance in her urine.
Feline veterinary care in my country is quite unprofessional and isn’t helpful.
We’ve been keeping the ph in check at 6.5 and giving L-methionine and D-mannose in case of stones.
Doxycycline 2mg/lb for a week seems to fix the issue for about a month but it’s recurring. This is the third time it’s happened in the past year.

She urinates normally with a normal ph at first but then continues to visit the litterbox every minute trying to urinate again, it’s only then when the blood shows up. She seems to be in pain during the process as well.
We’re constantly trying to get in touch with a professional but it’s not quite promising yet.

Would love some suggestions from someone who’s faced a similar situation or dealt with this before so we know what to do next.
Thanks!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
but it’s recurring.
This isn't a cure, but are you feeding her canned food? Are you using filtered water?

There's this that may help as well;

Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – TheCatSite Articles
This is from todaysveterinarynurse .com
Feeding canned diets that are high in moisture (>75% as-fed basis), adding water to the existing canned or dry diet, and making sure all water bowls are cleaned daily may encourage water consumption. Circulating water fountains can be provided for cats that like to drink running or dripping water, and multiple water bowls should be offered throughout the home. Also, the size and depth of water bowls may need to be considered, and different types of water (e.g., distilled, warm, cold) may need to be tried. Canned diets are preferred because of their water content. If further diluting diets to increase water consumption, it must be taken into consideration that the calorie:volume ratio is also being diluted, and pets may need to consume a greater volume of food to maintain body weight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jzk220

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definitely making sure her water intake is appropriate. I feed her wet canned food 4 times a day and have been since i got her, i add extra water to the wet food as well. She’s been only drinking filtered bottled water as well.

Absolutely no stones have been unturned when it comes to diet, cleanliness and care.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would suggest that the antibiotic is not being given long enough and/or it is the wrong antibiotic. Identifying the most effective antibiotics can only be done through a urine culture, after the urinalysis detects bacteria in her urine.

The only other thing that comes to mind is that this is what they call feline idiopathic cystitis (FIC), a sub-set of FLUTD (Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease). I've included TCS articles below (see links) in case you are not aware of them. Many times, the issue is inflammation in the bladder, which can lead to an infection, but not always. And, the inflammation can cause blood in the urine, and make it hard to pee. The cystitis can also cause bladder spasms as well, which can also affect a cat's ability to urinate.
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis – How To Improve Your Cat’s Quality Of Life – TheCatSite Articles
Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (flutd) – TheCatSite Articles