3 Year Old Female Just Started Spraying, Help!

Pocket13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! Ive had my girl Fatty since she was born and she is now almost 3 years old.
Last week she suddenly started spraying, or straight up peeing I cant tell; on every thing. Shes well fed, gets constant affection, I clean the litter box everyday; so I dont know what is causing this behavior or how to stop it.
She's not fixed yet, but I have a vet appointment in 2 days to get her up to date on shots and schedule her spaying. Is there any advice to stop this behaviour in the mean time???

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, you'll want to get a good enzymatic cleaner and thoroughly clean EVERYWHERE she has peed/sprayed. That will keep the scent from attracting her back there. If you are unsure about all of the spots, get a black-light urine spotter. They are pretty inexpensive, and will tell you when you've done a good job of cleaning.

I think that this is probably hormone-driven, even if it is a new issue. You may have strays (either dogs or cats) that have started coming around outside, and a queen is VERY territorial. She has to be. Her territory means life and death for her kittens, even if those are future kittens.

If she can see outside, you might try blocking those windows until a few weeks after the spay when her hormones have settled back down. That's about all you can do that I can think of for now.