3 year old cat that had been vomiting blood - details

emie868

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I'm new here and also very concerned.

Our 3 year Kissie started vomiting blood yesterday. She had thrown up some of her food and I thought that maybe something didn't agree with her. Then she threw up two more times after that, each was liquid and red tinged. I called the emergency vet and they told us to bring her in straight away So we did.

We thought maybe she had gotten into tinsel but she has never ever touched it before, and we had informed the lady on the phone of this possibility so they were thinking that maybe she had tinsel obstructed somewhere.

We get her into the emergency vet and they give her and x ray to rule out tinsel. The vet said she was backed up some and that there was this oval mass in her stomach that is either a hairball or something oval shaped that she may have swallowed. She said that if it's a hairball it'll pass if it's something foreign then she'll have to have surgery.They said that they were sending us home with medicine to coat her tummy so it would settle and medicine to soften her stools to help her go. And to also separate her from the rest of the cats so we can monitor her intake and output and to also check in with our main vet today.

We went about 5:30 pm last night, and I've given her two doses so far of each medicine...no vomiting..she's eating and peeing but not producing any BM's. I called our main vet today and told them about what was going on and they said that if she hasn't had a BM by the morning to call to have her come in, but I'm just really concerned about her not having a BM. Is there anything that I can do besides her medicine to help her? She's alert and is wanting attention...she seems to love when I massage her tummy which is rare for her because she normally tries to "extend and rip" when you do.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry! I don't know if there's a store near you that carries egg yolk lecithin, but if it is a hairball, egg yolk lecithin may help - but not that quickly, I don't think. It emulsifies the fat that binds up the hair in the stomach. This helps them pass the hair. A number of us are using egg yolk lecithin regularly (some 1/2 a capsule 2x a week. For two of my kitties with the worst problem, I'm using a whole capsule daily). There are two available: Swanson and Nature's Plus. If it is hairballs, for future, they can be purchased on Amazon or at Swanson's site.

Other than that, at this point, there's really not much you can do that I'm aware of other than follow the instructions you've been given. :( The problem is that if it isn't a hairball, she won't be able to pass it herself.

FYI, the blood in her vomit is most likely from her esophagus - the vomiting can be rough on the surface of the tract. If the blood were coming from her stomach, the vomit would look like coffee grounds. So this is most likely superficial damage, from the stress/irritation of vomiting.

Hairballs can be a real problem, and sometimes even they need to be removed surgically if kitty can't pass them or get them up.

Vibes for you and your girl! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emie868

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the advice. She hasn't thrown up since I've started her on the medicine. But I'm almost positive that she hates me because of having to dose her with two different meds twice a day.

I'd like to think that it's a hairball, we don't have anything oval shaped and she's never been known to take things that don't belong to her.

She still hasn't had a BM and I called the vet this morning and with my boyfriend's work schedule there wasn't any appointments available after his shift so we have to wait until 2 something tomorrow to take her in if she hasn't had a BM by then. The ladies and the vet seem confident that she'll go to the bathroom before tomorrow and I'm hoping so too.

She doesn't seem to be in any pain, she's actually quite vocal with me and protests being back in the bedroom. She's happy and loves on me when I go back to the bedroom which is almost constant to check on her. Poor girl doesn't know why she has to be away from us and the clan. *sigh*