3 y/o male cat urinating on bed!! need advice!

neko7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok I'm not sure to put this in the behavior forum or cat health...

Back in February 1, 2010 we discovered my male cat, Rivers, peeing on my dogs dog bed. I was immediately angry but when I pushed him off noticed a very small red puddle of urine. I've read a few cat books and knew instantly he was having a UTI. Literally that same week my relatives were visiting from out of town and brought their shih tzu puppy with them who kept pestering my cat day and night(they were in my home for about an entire week because of a death in the family). My cat didn't want anything to do with the dog (the only dogs he tolerates are mine because he grew up with them...plus they could care less) That afternoon they left we came home and saw him peeing blood. We took him to the vet and he did infact have a UTI and crystals. We got him on antibiotics and new prescription cat food. The bloody urine was gone pretty instantly but the crystals were still present when he would go in for testing every two weeks. It took a month and a half until he was cleared. We asked the Vet what could be the reason he was only 2 at the time and he looked like he was in pain. We explained the story of my relatives dog and she said it could possibly stress induced but there is no way of knowing.

Fast forward to present day. The past 3 weeks these stray cats around my neighborhood have been wandering into my yard and my mom assumes they are my neighbors cats and they were very thin looking so she bought some friskies cat food and puts it out in bowls so they can eat something. Well these two cats are very vocal. So much that my cat looks like he is lightly hissing when he knows my mom just walked out and then he can hear the meowing. Well, he peed on my parents bed. My mom bought one of those plastic covers just in case. He did it again earlier this week. And just tonight my mom fell asleep and woke up when she felt yep you guessed it PEE. ALL OVER THE BED! The relatives that were here with their dog in February arrived this night BUT they didn't bring their dog with them.... Could this have set them off because he knows if they're here the dog might be here too? or is it the cats outside that are making him angry?

Being that he's had a UTI in the past and looking at the urine it is literally the size of a pizza pan or cookie baking sheet and there is no blood I don't assume he's having any kind of problem urinating...but I'm not sure. Is it possibly a cat with a UTI could pee THAT much. Is this all behavioral because he's jealous, can smell the cats on my parents, ect...

Advice is very much appreciated. I'm thinking of getting feliway or some kind of calming spray to spray around the house.... but my cat is quite odd he doesn't even seem to be interested in catnip. Not sure how well that would work out.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go ahead and get the feliway diffusers - make sure you get enough for the whole home.

Your mother has got to stop feeding the strays unless you guys are going to get them spay and neutered and vaccinated. She also needs to feed them away from the house.
Right now, if they're intact they're going to be spraying the side of the house. This aggravates many cats, enough so that some will start peeing outside the litter box or even induce UTIs.

I suggest you get him back in to see the vet because it is possible he's having a flare up. Large amounts of urine is a sign of this. It's even possible that his script food may not be working for him anymore.

All peed on spots and items need to be washed with an enzyme cleaner.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since he had urinary problems in the past, it is quite possible he is having it again. The very first thing to do is taking him to the vet ASAP to rule out this possibility. Is he still on urinary diet?
Also, go ahead and get an Enzyme cleaner - I only trust 2- Nok-Out and Anti-Icky-Poo.
Feliway is not catnip based, it is an artificial pheromone, and I highly recommend it. The best place to get it IMO is on Amazon, it is the cheapest. The plug in is the best way to go. Put one in the room where he is peeing, and another where he hangs out the most. Spraying feliway on the bed is also a good idea.
Replace your litter with Cat Attract litter, and add a second litter for him.
Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neko7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies, I got a few cat cleaning products to clean up the mess and just picked up my little one from the vet.

It turns out he does have struvite crystals in his bladder again. The vet sad they were very light but it was like the little snow in a snow globe just floating around. He's back on antibiotics and hopefully the naughty peeing will cease soon.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by neko7

It turns out he does have struvite crystals in his bladder again. The vet sad they were very light but it was like the little snow in a snow globe just floating around. He's back on antibiotics and hopefully the naughty peeing will cease soon.
There seems to be a lot of UTIs going around lately.

You didn't mention his current food. Does he get any wet? What does he drink from - bowl or fountain?

While the antibiotics will help any secondary infection that could be present and (depending on the antibiotic) could help inflammation a bit, they'll do nothing for crystals. That's something that is controlled strictly through diet. It may take a few weeks on a diet that works for him to fully clear them up. He'll need another urinalysis to check for that.