3 Weeks And No Progress With Recently Rescued Stray/feral

Kriskopop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
3 weeks ago I trapped a feral/stray I had been feeding/providing a heated house for and brought her to vet and then brought her inside my home. She is about 4.5 years old, do not know her previous situation. Anyway, very quickly I felt like I was making great progress, (I had not yet been able to touch her or get too close) but within days she was coming out and eating in my presence, slept across the room from me on an ottoman while I quietly sat reading etc. But then on day 5 I threw some treats towards her on the floor in front of her and she freaked out and ran into her hiding spot. I think she thought I was trying to hurt her :( Since then she does not want to come out when she anticipates me coming in the room. There were a few times she perhaps didn't hear me coming and stayed on her perch in the cat tree but most times she's back in her hiding spot in a cabinet I keep in the room. I have a baby monitor in the room so I can see when she is out and what she is doing so that is how I know she was "Out" and that she has run into her hiding spot if she hears me coming. It has now been about 10 days since the treat throwing incident and I just don't know what to do. The room is very peaceful, I have soft music playing all the time, I have a feliway diffuser plugged in, I sprinkle catnip in certain places and have tried the Feline Rescue drops in her food. She has a tall cat tree as well as a horizontal cat scratcher, she has 2 beds, an ottoman in front of the window, she has her one super safe dark hiding spot where I know she feels safest (but I can still access her if needed). She does come out after she realizes I probably won't be visiting anymore and she hunts around the room for treats I leave in various spots, she checks everything out and then washes herself on the ottoman in front of the window and then lounges on the cat tree. I try to visit a few times a day and quietly sit and read or talk to her but no more progress is being made. Perhaps I am too anxious about it all? Can she tell that I feel so guilty and sad that I scared her? I would love some suggestions on what to do differently or do I just continue to do what I'm doing? I do have a resident 11 year old female kitty that is very interested in what's going on in the room and who also did see her through the door when I had it open to clean the litter box once. She has not hissed or acted differently at all but wondering if she is scaring the new kitty perhaps? Gypsy, the resident kitty will sometimes scratch the carpet outside the door when I am sitting inside the room and I'm sure Ollie (new kitty) hears that. Anyways would love to hear feedback from those with success in rescuing strays. Thank you!!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no experience in strays, ferals but have had nervous cats. I used to sit in the room and read out loud so that they became used to my voice. I also used to play with a ball of wool or feather. They used to show interest and eventually came our to play. It sounds as if you are doing everything right in my eyes but a lot of patience is needed. There are plenty members on this site who will be able to offer good advice.

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like the treat incident spooked her. Some people are cruel and throw things at feral cats, and she may have thought that was what you were doing.

I'm afraid it's back to square one now. She can forgive you in time, but you will have to work to rebuild the progress you had made. Leave catnip on areas that have your scent. Put her on a feeding schedule if you freefeed, making her associate you with food more. And when she comes out of hiding, just ignore her. Act like she isn't there. The last thing you wanna do is stare at her, especially in the eyes, as this is a sign of aggression in cats. Being a member here, though, you probably know that. Just try to get her used to your presence and build positive associations via food and scent, and go from there. And remember, always remember, you don't know what she's been through. Anything like throwing or sudden moves could scare her. You were well intended last time and I don't blame you. I'd have probably done the same. Now you know. So when you get back to this level, set the treats down. Start it as a usual thing, maybe, a little closer to you every time. . . but only when you think she's ready. It takes a lot of love and patience to do this.

Lastly, but certainly not least, thank you so much for saving her, and for working as you are to help heal her psychological wounds. The world needs more people like you.

liathum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I might be able to offer some advice. Two of my kitties were abused—my eldest, Cleo, was about a year old when I rescued her from a terrible situation. She was an “outdoor” kitty, part of a household that ran a daycare and preschool. One of the kids told me that her favorite game was “hide and seek” and that she made funny noises when he’d pull on her tail. I immediately rescued her the moment I could.

My second kitty, Wadjet, came from a home where the parents said their two-year-old was “too rough”. She was maybe nine weeks old. About two months after adopting her, my apartment was burglarized and she’s never quite recovered. Though she trusts me, she’s still a very nervous kitty.

Cleo took about a year before I could pet her but she was still extremely skittish. It helped that she absolutely loved can food and would set aside a lot of her fear when I’d feed her the cans. I made sure to feed her the can food in areas I frequented—near my computer desk, near my bed, and in the little “home” I made for her in the walk-in closet. After a few months and a few setbacks—me pushing her faster than she was ready—one day she just...flipped a switch and jumped in my lap. Five years later and she was still skittish around new people but was far more comfortable in our home.

Now, ten years later, unless the guests are loud, she’s actually comfortable enough to hang out in the same room as them. While she wasn’t feral, she definitely distrusted humans.

Wadjet is a slightly different and a bit less positive. She is skittish around others, even to the point of swatting if they go too far petting her, but trusts me implicitly.

Both kitties took a lot of time and a lot of patience. The can food trick might work depending on the kitty, make sure though to leave dry food near their safe spot in case they won’t eat the can.

Oh. I should add—when I first rescued Cleo, she spent four days hidden in my stairwell. She wouldn’t even leave at night to eat or potty. She pottied right next to where she was rather than explore. Now she’s the queen of a 9 cat household and loving every minute of it.

I do recommend spending time in the room with her, just not really interacting with her. Read a few chapters in a book, bring a laptop or tablet or phone and do some browsing or something. Just let her get to know you, the scent of the new place, the sounds, etc.

Let her come to you. As long as she’s eating and pottying okay, I think you should be good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kriskopop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your responses all of you! It helps so much to hear these suggestions from others who have been there. I understand that 3 weeks is not a long time in the kitties eyes and I have to have patience! I will continue to try leaving my scented clothes in her room with treats on them and just taking it slow :) Should I hold off on introducing her to Gypsy before she's comfortable with me?

liathum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That’s a good question. Cats are pretty territorial and it truly depends on the cats.

Cleo took to Wadjet like she was her own but required quite a bit of work to get her and Taco in the same room without Christmas-Tree-Tails.

I kept Squeaker quarantined for like five months before I even started introducing her and the brats to the rest of the brood here, due to pregnancy and itty bitty wittle kittens.

You could probably start by at least slowly introducing scent markers on items each use but aren’t attached to. Like a blanket or towel you switch out regularly. Pretty sure at the very least it’d help.

WoodstockGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think you're doing a great job! Thank you for rescuing her!

Patience is key. Let her set the pace. She will come to you when she's ready. You really don't know what she experienced and cats can be traumatized just as easily as people.

Kriskopop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks again everyone! I guess I'll play it by ear. Part of me feels like my kitty Gypsy is so good with other cats she might make Ollie more comfortable but it's hard to say of course. I'm definitely doing the scent exchange, we shall see how it goes.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be time to try a little more by trying to pet her. The best way to do this is during feeding. When she is busy eating, lay your hand on her back. At first she will run off but in time will accept you. But first you have to get closer and closer while she is eating!

Kriskopop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She was initially eating while I was in the room but after the treat tossing incident she hides if I come in the room, sometimes she will stay on cat tree if that's where she is when I come in AND only once since the treat tossing incident did she actually come out of hiding to start eating while I was cleaning the litter box but for past 10 days her usual is to hide in her cabinet if I come in. I WAS considering closing the cabinet so she couldn't go in there so she would have to stay in the room while I was in it but I don't want to stress her too much by taking that hiding spot away??? I don't know, perhaps I'll give her a few more days with her cabinet door open but then close it if I can get in there while she is still on her cat tree. I won't force the issue by approaching her but allow her to just be on her tree or somewhere in the room while ignoring her? Not sure what is best.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Thank you VERY MUCH for saving her.

I would go through the formal introduction process in order to introduce them. I will include the links at the bottom and am available to help you through them and answer any questions for as long as needed. For now, I would keep them totally separated.

I deal with ferals outside and all my cats have been ferals off the streets. So I have met my share of skittish ferals.

The main thing is to build trust. I do a few things to do. Food is the greatest trust builder. A good wet food, hard food. For outside ferals I use those and I use warm chicken thigh meat. For indoor cats I give them the food then leave the room to begin with. If they come out and want to sniff the food I go away from the food and sit on the floor. And look elsewhere. The goal is to create a positive association.

Also, our emotions and body language is very important for cats. Cats take on our emotions. SO I try to be as normal, calm and confident around cats and ferals as much as possible. If we make sudden movements or move slower than normal a cat will pick up on this and wonder why the person is acting differently. So just calm, confident and reasonable movement. It is amazing how my body language and emotions can impact (and calm and put at ease) ferals in the wild.

Also, we never want to look down or stand over a feral. We also don't want to stare at a feral.

I also will sit in the room and talk softly. lovingly and confidently to the cat. Just to show I am not a threat and to get them comfortable with me.

I always let the cat initiate contact with me. SO a cat might start to come up to me I just let them. They might sniff. Then eventually they may rib on me quickly. Then eventually they may give me a headbutt.

If the signal is ok to reach out I always approach from below them, not from above. I want them to feel in control.

I also make sure there is a cat tree in the room for the new feral. Also a scratching post. And warm and comfy bedding. I want them to start to "own" things by feeling secure and getting their scent on things. And to go high in the world as height builds confidence.

I don't rush this, I go at the cat's pace. Some cats build trust faster than others. It can take a short time and sometimes it takes longer depending on the history and the interactions of the cats.

I have yet to find a cat that didn't respond to being loved. Some show it in different ways (as to closeness) but so far I have had success in building trust.

As you new cat builds confidence then it will be more likely to get along in the introduction process. A confident cat is more likely to accept another cat and be accepted by another cat. A confident cat is less likely to attack another cat or be attacked by another cat. So building confidence at the appropriate time is very important (as is going through the formal introduction process).

I build confidence through Play, Food, Height and Love. Some of which is mentioned with the new cat above and some of which needs to be expanded upon for your resident (existing) cat. Which I am happy to explain and expand upon.

3 weeks is not a long time and given a minor setback (which we always have some) I am not worried. As I said, your new cat will respond to being loved, I am highly confident of that.

I am happy to help you through this for as long as needed so please feel free to ask anything anytime.

Here are the links to the formal introduction process. It is important to follow this in order to help the cats adjust to a new cat (potential threat in their eyes initially). I have found it is usually the resident cat (existing cat) that has the toughest time adjusting as it is "their territory being invaded by a potential threat". SO working to build the confidence of all cats is also important.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-ultimate-yet-simplified-guide-to-introducing-cats

A Simple Little Trick to Use During New Cat Introductions

Cat Care

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cat-to-cat-introductions/

Don't worry, I am confident we will find success. Always here for you.

Kriskopop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right now her favorite spot is a low cabinet that has sliding doors on the front, and I cannot see her when she's in there unless I slide the doors over to the other side. And I'm assuming she can't see me either. My question is "should I close this cabinet so she cannot hide in there while I'm in the room?" I feel like any attempt to get her used to me is pointless if she can't at least see me? I feel like if she were up in the cat tree and she could see me I could ignore her but at the same time start slowly playing with a feather toy to perk her interest but if she can hide and can't see me, will she really ever start getting used to me when I'm in the room if she's too hidden? Does that make sense to you?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
No, don’t close the cabinet. She needs some places where she feels safe and when she is ready she will start peeking out at you. You just can’t rush her or force her to be in the open. For my semi feral girl it took several months before she was ready and even then she zoomed for a hideaway as soon as I moved. When she isn’t in there you might try laying down a piece of your clothing in her hiding spot. This will give her comfort and also your scent.

Kriskopop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I agree, I shouldn't rush her :)

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am with susanm9006, for now let's not do anything with the cabinet. At some point we may want to close it off it just depends.

I would get an old shirt with your scent on it and have it by her food for positive association. And you may want to (at some point) get another old shirt with your scent on it and have it in the cabinet but the tricky part will be getting in it there. We don't want to force any issues right now.

I would put some stinky wet food near the opening to the cabinet and see if she will come out for it. If we can eventually get her out that would be great.

And be in there and talk softly, lovingly, and confidently to her. "It's ok" and "good girl" and "I love you". And just anything. Soothing calm and confident tone.

It is tricky because I typically close off any areas where they can hide but that is before they are put in the room. Depending on where the cat is on the confidence level I recommend closing off areas. But at this point I think we need to build her trust and confidence up more before we close off hiding places.

The fact she did come out and eat in front of you early in her coming in is very encouraging and tells me we will get there again. We just need a little time and effort. She'll understand you want what is best for her. We will get there. Don't worry. She'll see you love her.

Kriskopop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, all good suggestions. I do already love her!!!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw your love for her immediately. I know she can see it as well. She'll come around again.

Keep up the great work, always here for you anytime.

Kriskopop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So it's been another 2 weeks and no progress. Last night I slid open the cabinet door where she hides just to see her and give her more treats and she hissed at me :( I'm heartbroken and feel like no progress is being made. Seriously if it wasn't for the baby monitor in there I wouldn't see her at all. Do I do something different or just keep going as is and hope in a few months time she'll come out? I hope this wasn't the wrong thing to do........bringing her inside to live with us :( The thing is when she knows I'm not coming back she hunts the room for all of the treats I hide for her, she plays with balls or play mice that I leave in there for her, she sits on the window sill, sleeps on the cat tree, is generally out and about but ALWAYS runs for her cabinet when she hears me coming in.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have the doors on the cabinet almost completely closed, with only a little open for her to enter/exit? I would open one of the doors, so that she only has one side of the cabinet closed completely off to hide behind and the other side more open.

I would also consider carrying Gypsy into the room, just for a minute at a time, but several times a day. I'm convinced that my very laid back senior domestic tabby helped reassure the feral I brought home last February. The feral looked rather amazed and intrigued that the tabby was purring and letting me rub his belly and hold him. If Gypsy will stay calmly in your arms long enough, try to let Ollie see you holding Gypsy. If Gypsy would sit in your lap for a while in the room even better. (Obviously, this could backfire if Gypsy is the type to struggle to get put down, but if she's a calm cat it's worth trying.)

Kriskopop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Half of the cabinet front is always open and the other half closed so she can hide behind the doors at one end. Unfortunately Gypsy won't really let me hold her for long, if I'm carrying her somewhere she's ok but is not big on being held while I stand still. And she'll lay on my lap if I'm on the sofa but if I bring her in that room she will want to investigate and nose around, she knows something's going on in there and wants to get in. She's never shown any aggression towards the other kitty (as I mentioned Gypsy has seen her briefly), she only shows interest and curiosity.