3 Week Old Sick Kitten

Wardha19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have been caring for a feral mom and 4 kittens since July 1st. Littlest kitten was severely sick and mom ended up rejecting so I took on role of mom. Started with clavamox and after no improvement switched to azithromycin. That antibiotic course ends this Friday 7/19 and we've seen good improvement on that in terms of snot/congestion. My issue is that despite bottle feeding KMR every 2-3 hours and this kitten being hungry and eating every time, it's not gaining weight. We went to the vet at 1 week old with everybody and at that time this little one weighed 4.6oz. Now at 3 weeks old we're only weighing in at 4oz. Fluctuating some between 4.2 and 4 but at least maintaining 4 oz but not gaining anymore. The other kittens are almost triple it's size now and it eats vigorously every 2 hours. We'll be doing more vet trips as well but I'm just looking for any advice on how to help this little thing out.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can feed it a little more often! Esp as he takes all he gets. You can dilute the kmr with half pedialyte half water, iinsteas of just water. It will give some calories for free.
Or dilute the powder with goats milk, ratio 1:3.

You can give BeneBac probiotic, or mix in a little full fat organic unflawored yoghurt with this kmr.

W Wardha19

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds as though you are doing all you can. Hopefully once the URI clears the kitten will begin to gain. As Stefan said, maybe feed every 1-2 hours instead.

Which brand kitten formula do you use? Are you using powdered or pre-mixed? Are you using the 1:2 ratio of powder and water?

W Wardha19

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There could be an issue with the kitten, a bad liver, something genetic that caused mom to reject it. I hope the vet can find out what is wrong. It may be a virus teh little one has too, so antibiotics will not help. I would feed it more calories more often and see if you can get it to start gaining, it just may if it starts feeling better. Have you tried again to get mom to nurse it? I will pray for the precious one, miracles still happen!