3 Week Old Kitten Sucking And Kneading

Mrs.Whiskers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I adopted a kitten when she was 12 weeks old. I know that she was separated from her mother around 8 weeks of age, which was probably too early. This may be the reason why the kitten now sucks and kneads on shirts and blankets. I have read that this may be a form of comfort for her. She often does this before she falls asleep. She might also be doing it when she is hungry. At other times it could be when she just feels like it...like a child sucking their thumb. The frequency of this behavior is increasing, and I am becoming concerned. Perhaps she will grow out of it? Or should I try to stop her by redirecting the behavior somehow?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know of no reason to be concerned about it unless the cat is ingesting fibers or stuff is getting ruined. Like you said, its something akin to sucking a thumb, afaik totally harmless. Many cats keep doing it to some degree as they get older.

I do find it a little gross in my cat's case because his preferred object is a Christmas wand toy with 3 fabric dangly things -- from like 5+ years ago, to the point the fabric things are beyond gross at this point. Its a little disconcerting regardless, and I don't think there is anything wrong with trying distraction. I just find it tough to sit quietly and read or have a conversation with the wife while its going on, and he doesn't seem to mind or be any the worse if diverted. He is a brave adventurous 3 year old, so I think its just a habit and not anything deep seated. Some times we read to much into these things!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mrs.Whiskers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks ArtNJ! I appreciate the input. It seems really harmless, except our blankets and shirts get wet and like you said, it is kind of gross. I am thinking of trying to get her to only suck on one blanket. Maybe every time I catch her doing it I will transfer her to the object I want her to use (instead of my sofa blanket!)

Also, I want to thank you for responding to my previous post about my other cat chasing this kitten. I left them alone to work things out, and now they are getting along really well! They play and take turns chasing one another and actually seem pretty inseparable now (in a good way). What a relief!