3 successful pediatric neuters!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My foster boys Wit (15 weeks), Dylan (13 weeks) and Eugene (13 weeks) were neutered today! They came through with flying colors! Now they are up to date on their vaccinations, neutered, and even microchipped!

I wish I would have had my camera in their room after I let them out of the carriers. Wit sat down with his front paws on the floor, hind legs splayed out, tail sticking straight out in front of him as he tried to clean himself! He looked totally goofy!

Anyhow, if anyone out there is wondering if pediatric speuters are a good idea, my boys say "YES"!

hdizzy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I was raising my first bottle baby, my personal vet wanted to wait till he was about 6 months old I think.

The shelter fixed my boys and girls at 9 weeks. They seemed way too small and fragile. Daisy didn't even weigh a full pound and a half at the time!

Everything turned out good for me in both situations.

Glad to hear your boys are doing great!

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My little dude was about 15 weeks old -- he come home and acted like nothing had happened (except maybe for some licking of the incision). Why do some vets insist on waiting until 6 months?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is just a mind set. In the past, speuters (spays and neuters) were always done after 6 months, so that is what some vets continue. Yet as Rescue groups got involved, it became obvious that adopting out intact animals with a spay/neuter certificate led to more pregnancies, as people did not get the animals surgery done in a timely manner.

Now there is adequate research to support early speutering, but some vets just haven't done it yet. However, as more and more people push for it, I believe it will become much more common. Vets will become skilled at these surgeries. And as a result, there will be less unwanted animals PTS in shelters.

I have fostered 17 kitties in 2006...that is 17 more animals that will never reproduce again! And am facilitating the speuters of 14 more cats, 9 of which are under 4 months old. Again...a good result in ending (in this case) inbreeding. (Yay Second Chance Pet Adoption
!)

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Plebayo

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/repo...ly-neuter.html

That website is interesting, it talks about why some vets want to neuter later vs. earlier.
That article, to me, showed why early alter is not a bad thing. Sure it stated reasons why they wanted to alter later, but in the results of the study it proved those fears unwarranted, as far as activity levels and weight

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The main problem I'm finding in my area is that the vets here aren't trained to perform speuters on very young cats and dogs, so they insist on waiting until 6 months, even though they're aware of such studies.

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats! My 2 boy kittens have theirs next week. Hope it goes as well as it has for your kittens.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

The main problem I'm finding in my area is that the vets here aren't trained to perform speuters on very young cats and dogs, so they insist on waiting until 6 months, even though they're aware of such studies.
I assumed this was the reason. If a vet hasn't had training, I guess for a lot it's easier to say to wait until 6 months rather than learning how to do early spay/neuters....

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
for posting, Becki. I think the more education the better, and the more people who can find out about this procedure the better. I am so glad everyone did great, and you deserve a pat on the back and BIG ((HUGS))
for doing this.

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by minxie

Congrats! My 2 boy kittens have theirs next week. Hope it goes as well as it has for your kittens.
I have done many boys over the past few years, and so far, (thank goodness), we have never had a problem ever, not with any of our girls either. I know as any other Meowmy that anytime our babies have to go to the vet for something major, we get nervous. Try to relax, and I am sure everything will go as well for you as it has Becki and I in the past. Also, it is great that to see you having both of yours neutered as well.