3 of my 4 cats have soft stool with blood?

curliegirlie777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so around the middle of March, one of my 4 cats, BlackBerry, starting having diarrhea with blood in it. She pooped once a day, and it was either completely diarrhea or a mixture of regular poop with soft poop, and it always had blood. She would poop and then she would be straining a lot and making little noises, like it was hurting her to poop, and she would push for a long time and no more poop would come out, just blood. We took her to the vet after about a week of this, and she said it was probably worms and she told us to send in a stool sample and they would test it. So we did, and it came back negative for worms or anything. She said we could still give her the worming medication anyways, but we said we would just wait and see. That was March 29. BlackBerry has continued to have soft poop with blood every day. Now, the last couple days 2 of my other cats, Booger and Pennywise have soft poop with blood. So that's 3 of my 4 cats that have it. When we took BlackBerry to the vet, she said that if it was worms, then if one cat has it then they probably all do, and so now my Mom wants to get the worming medication for all the cats. BUT I'm not sure if it's a good idea to get them dewormed when we're not even sure that they have worms.  I just don't understand what is causing this if it's not worms though. Back in October for a couple of weeks all four cats had the same thing, soft poop with blood. We never took them to the vet and it just kind of stopped. Once in a while, one of the cats would have soft poop but there was never blood again until now. So I'm very confused to what it could be. I don't know if it's their food or something else? Should we just get them dewormed anyways? If anyone could help that would be very appreciated! 

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ok so around the middle of March, one of my 4 cats, BlackBerry, starting having diarrhea with blood in it. She pooped once a day, and it was either completely diarrhea or a mixture of regular poop with soft poop, and it always had blood. She would poop and then she would be straining a lot and making little noises, like it was hurting her to poop, and she would push for a long time and no more poop would come out, just blood. We took her to the vet after about a week of this, and she said it was probably worms and she told us to send in a stool sample and they would test it. So we did, and it came back negative for worms or anything. She said we could still give her the worming medication anyways, but we said we would just wait and see. That was March 29. BlackBerry has continued to have soft poop with blood every day. Now, the last couple days 2 of my other cats, Booger and Pennywise have soft poop with blood. So that's 3 of my 4 cats that have it. When we took BlackBerry to the vet, she said that if it was worms, then if one cat has it then they probably all do, and so now my Mom wants to get the worming medication for all the cats. BUT I'm not sure if it's a good idea to get them dewormed when we're not even sure that they have worms.  I just don't understand what is causing this if it's not worms though. Back in October for a couple of weeks all four cats had the same thing, soft poop with blood. We never took them to the vet and it just kind of stopped. Once in a while, one of the cats would have soft poop but there was never blood again until now. So I'm very confused to what it could be. I don't know if it's their food or something else? Should we just get them dewormed anyways? If anyone could help that would be very appreciated! 
This sounds very much like Coccidiosis.  To be absolutely frank, you need to find a veterinarian who'll make a certain diagnosis, not a, "probably," and have your kitties treated appropriately, and in a timely fashion.  Coccidiosis is easy to diagnose pathologically, and equally easy to treat, but allowing it to continue places the cats' intestinal tract at risk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

curliegirlie777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This sounds very much like Coccidiosis.  To be absolutely frank, you need to find a veterinarian who'll make a certain diagnosis, not a, "probably," and have your kitties treated appropriately, and in a timely fashion.  Coccidiosis is easy to diagnose pathologically, and equally easy to treat, but allowing it to continue places the cats' intestinal tract at risk.

Thanks for replying! I was reading about coccidiosis and saw that kittens can get it from their mother while nursing. 3 of our cats are actually littermates and the 4th is the mother (we took in a stray and she ended up being pregnant, and we kept all of them) so I'm guessing Booger (the mom) had it and gave it to her kittens. 

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some types of worms don't show up in stool sample tests.  I would take the vet's advice and give them a wormer.  If that doesn't solve the problem, then investigate another cause.  Wormers are relatively inexpensive and safe.

How old are the kittens, and have they been wormed before?

curliegirlie777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Some types of worms don't show up in stool sample tests.  I would take the vet's advice and give them a wormer.  If that doesn't solve the problem, then investigate another cause.  Wormers are relatively inexpensive and safe.

How old are the kittens, and have they been wormed before?
The kittens are 8 months old and the mom is a year and 2 months. She had then when she was only 6 months old so she was still a kitten herself. Booger (mom) has been wormed once, before she had her kittens (we didn't know she was pregnant). But the kittens have never been. 

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The kittens are 8 months old and the mom is a year and 2 months. She had then when she was only 6 months old so she was still a kitten herself. Booger (mom) has been wormed once, before she had her kittens (we didn't know she was pregnant). But the kittens have never been. 
Most kittens are born "wormy".  I would think you would have had problems before 8 months, but if they have never been wormed, it's not a bad idea.  The wormer that the vet dispenses is a broad-spectrum wormer that will kill more than one type.

curliegirlie777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Most kittens are born "wormy".  I would think you would have had problems before 8 months, but if they have never been wormed, it's not a bad idea.  The wormer that the vet dispenses is a broad-spectrum wormer that will kill more than one type.
Well, they have had soft poop with blood in it before, but never for this long. We're planning on calling the vet on Tuesday and getting stool samples sent it and tested for all of them. 

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm brand new here, but when I read this post, I had to jump in.  I foster for a local shelter and am fighting either Coccidia or Giardia.  The shelter vets don't know because it takes many fecal samples before a cyst will show it's ugly face.  Is the poop foul smelling?  And by foul smelling I mean the worst thing you've ever smelled and that's all you smell.  Also, is it yellow colored?  These are the top signs.  If the vet confirms either of these you need to be sure and isolate them for cleaning purposes.  10% ammonia solution, bleach will not kill Coccidia.  Also, keep in mind that Giardia is transferable to humans and other pets, so wash your hands.

I hope it's just a food allergy and you get it under control since either of these two can reinfect and live in the environment for years.   Good luck.