3 new little kittens to feed

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
First of all, it doesnt sound for ONE minute like you didnt want to look after them! you're being hard on yourself you have done a fantastic job because the chances are if you didnt have them, even for those 2 days, none of them would be here today.
Its sounds very selfish of the girls parents to keep the kittens outside when they wont allow the mother to be spayed. If they are not responsible enough to get this cat fixed, or because of their religion, whatever, then they should be keeping this cat indoors so she cant go out and get pregnant because this is just going to keep happening.
The thing is its not your responsibility but I would be doing the exact same thing. You just can't help it as you are their only hope. You deserve something really special for your compassion towards these poor babies.
Im so glad the mother is getting on better with the kittens now. Lets hope it stays like that and they can go to their new homes as soon as they are ready and live happy healthy lives. They will always have a special place in your heart, as you will in theirs.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tom, I agree - thank you for having such a big heart and the commitment to these kittens.

Honestly, I would strongly recommend talking the people into letting you adopt the mother cat. Refusing to get her spayed is bad enough (and incidentally, I suspect that if this person would talk to her pastor, she'd find that actually it was not against her religion to spay a cat!), but not letting the cat indoors and even worse, allowing kittens to be born and suffer and die in the cold is truly cruel. (Incidentally, I wonder if this religion that doesn't want cats to be spayed really thinks it's just fine to allow kittens to be born and suffer and die unnecessarily...somehow I don't think that's the case.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She was here tonite again and she told me she let the mom cat out today because she had been locked up with her babys for a day an a half. In about a hour she said the mom wanted to go back in by her babys so it sounds like all is well.

I asked her if the mom always walks away from her kittens and she said no, just these two times, then I said that both times were in cold weather so maybe the mom felt she could not handle careing for them in the cold. I could see the wheels turning in her head and she said that never dawned on her, so with the kittens inside and the mom not going for food or whatever she is a mom again. she sais all 3 kittens are doing great, I was worried about the one that was real bad when they got here but she said he is doing great now.

My problem is I always get attatched to the problem ones so if they don't make it thats real hard on me.

Our cat rusty is from the same mom and he is one of the last winter kittens the mom walked away from, we lost 2 of those little guys and almost lost Rusty, I sat up all night watching and helping Rusty and the owner felt so bad when the one little one died that I wanted to keep she let me keep Rusty, but now Rusty barely lets me touch him and most times won't have anything to do with me, It bothers me sometimes but I can't change that. I tell him if not for me he would not be here right now, I know he has no clue as to what I am saying but thats how I feel some times.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tom thank you for the update. Keep working on her slowly about the importance of getting this momcat spayed-

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, I saw some pictures on the girls phone of the little kittys, they all looked great and are tearing around now raising heck with mom cat. She was worried one day that the mom wasn't feeding them again but was taking care of them real good otherwise, maybe they are getting big enough to where they don't have to feed so often? I didn't ask if they are starting to eat any kitten food yet. I don't know how old kittens are before they start to eat things besides moms milk.

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by semiferal

Tom, I agree - thank you for having such a big heart and the commitment to these kittens.

Honestly, I would strongly recommend talking the people into letting you adopt the mother cat. Refusing to get her spayed is bad enough (and incidentally, I suspect that if this person would talk to her pastor, she'd find that actually it was not against her religion to spay a cat!), but not letting the cat indoors and even worse, allowing kittens to be born and suffer and die in the cold is truly cruel. (Incidentally, I wonder if this religion that doesn't want cats to be spayed really thinks it's just fine to allow kittens to be born and suffer and die unnecessarily...somehow I don't think that's the case.)
I couldn't agree more!