3 nails on 1 bed?

Meowüf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a stray that I’ve taken in since mid August.
Today I notice that he has 3 nails in one nail bed. Anyone else seen this or something similar?

Attachments

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like he's broken a claw and it's partially grown back.

Cats' claws grow from the center, out, sort of like the rings of a tree. The center part of the claw, called the "quick", is the part that grows. If a claw gets broken from a fight or an accident, the outer parts will be missing but the quick will regrow a new claw from the center.

What I think you're seeing is the new claw growing back from the quick. The parts that look like extra claws are parts of the old, broken claw.

If the claw is not infected and the cat isn't hurting, I don't think you need to do anything but keep it clean and wait for the claw to grow back, completely. It will probably take a long time.

If you've got a vet visit planned, certainly show it to the vet and get their opinion. You can always call your vet just to be on the safe side. They might even be able to give you an answer over the phone. At least, they can tell you whether it warrants a visit or if it can wait until your next appointment.