3 Months Old Male Kitten Do Mating Movements On The 6 Months Old Male

Zsu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our smaller cat is 3 months old, we adopted him when he was probably 4-5 weeks old(he is a rescued cat) so he is with us 2 months ago.
The other one is a 6 months old male who was neutered 2 months ago.
They had always getting on well, but 2 days ago I realised that the small cat is getting on top of the other one and grabbing the fur on the back of his neck and doing mating movements.
If I understand well he wants to show he is the dominant one?
And do you think we need to get him neutered earlier?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One cat jumping on the back of another cat and gently biting is totally normal and kittens do this all the time to play. Dominance has nothing to do with it, they just like to play and don't care if the older cat wants to or not. Kittens cant reach the neck of a bigger cat so they may seem to be in a mounted position (I guess? never thought of it that way myself), but you are not actually seeing thrusting are you??? I'd be seriously shocked if there was anything sexual in what a 3 month kitten is doing, and certainly that would be abnormal and something to discuss with your vet. Absent an unusual medical issue, I don't think any vet would do a spay/neuter anywhere near that early.

Bottom line, no offense meant, but I think you are probably seeing something that isn't there. If you are really seeing thrusting, and not just trying to get better position to sink a gentle playful bite in, either take to the vet or at least video it and ask a friend that is more experienced with cats.

P.S. Rereading your post, I'm wondering whether you are very wrong on the kitten's age, because shelters don't adopt out kittens at 4-5 weeks. If the kitten is actually a lot older than you are thinking, maybe you are actually seeing sexual-related activity. Probably not, as far as I know you'd have to be off by several months at least.

Last edited:

Alypashong01

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree at that age a kitten wouldn't even be producing the hormones to make him want to mate anything either the age got confused because shelters won't adopt kittens until at very least 8 weeks of age tends to be closer to 10-12 weeks. He may be trying to just play not intentionally thrusting just trying to get a good position to harass his sibling! If the thrusting is obvious like whoa I'd say he is probably a tad older than you think more like 5-6 months of age

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zsu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the answers.
Yes, he is a rescued kitten(not from shelter), as we found him in a very bad condition without the mother and any other kittens, on of our walkes with my fiance. We took him home and to the vet as well. He was 320 gramm on that moment and the vet said he is probably around 4 weeks old. So we kept him, and now he is arond 13 weeks old and 1900 gramm :) He is on my profile picture.
So I think we rescued him. :D
And he is doing the thrusting as well, I have a video about it... and one time I quickly checked and seen his penis out as well.
I will pop in to the vet today to ask them what they think about this because as you said its probably not normal at 13 weeks age?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, take him. Bring the video you mentioned on a phone. I suppose you could see if they will look at it via email, but make sure to get their input one way or the other.

It is abnormal for a kitten to be separated from its momma that early and though I have not read about this as a side effect, perhaps there could be some hormonal consequences, especially if the kitten didn't get fed on a proper formula designed for orphaned kitties.

Just read up a bit, and apparently, early spay/neuter is now considered safe, its just that many vets were trained when it was considered unsafe to do so before 5 months or so. So that may be something your vet recommends -- but may or may not be comfortable doing at their practice.

I wouldn't think anything would be done other than early spay or neuter, but perhaps they will want to run some tests to make sure nothing else is going on.

Last edited:

Zsu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will ask the doctor about this, the practice is very close to me, so I will pop in in a few hours.
I did gave him supplement which made for little kittens for about 2 weeks after that he didnt want it any more.
My vet did the castration for my older cat when he was 4 months old, so they doesnt have a problem with this, but the little one has only one of his testicle down at the moment and the vet wanted to wait untill he is 6 months old... Its so complicated

Zsu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone.

I wanted to write an update.
The doctor said it is a hormonal thing but later can be an issue(bad behaviour)
One of his testicle still hasnt arrive and he still jumped on his brother several times a day so we decided to have him neutered
He has 2 incisions on his belly, because the undescendent testicle was hard to find. And the surgery cost me £300(I almost had a heart attack)
But he is very playful and looks happy :D
I will give you an update in few weeks about the "jumping on" behaviour.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Just another idea, but maybe because he was separated from his mom he didn't learn proper.... cat manners?

Still, go with what the vet says. If you have hormonal problems later with him I believe there are homeopathic remedies that can help.