3 month old kitten with suspected cold--not eating

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just adopted a stray kitten 2 weeks ago and he has stopped eating despite being offered all different foods, tuna, mackerel, raw chicken. He is not eating since yesterday. He managed a few ounces this morning but nothing since. He is about 3-4 months old.
I suspect he has a cold even though he has no other symptoms other than not eating. He is sleeping a lot too. He is a very active and playful kitten and this behavior is unknown to us.
His companion, one and a half year old, is sneezing a lot but eating normally.
Currently, I am keeping them separated but what should I tell the vet when I see them tomorrow? I suspect both cats have a cold. I am keeping my 14 year old isolated in case he comes down with it too.
Should I suggest antibiotics? Appetite stimulants?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Just adopted a stray kitten 2 weeks ago and he has stopped eating despite being offered all different foods, tuna, mackerel, raw chicken. He is not eating since yesterday. He managed a few ounces this morning but nothing since. He is about 3-4 months old.
I suspect he has a cold even though he has no other symptoms other than not eating. He is sleeping a lot too. He is a very active and playful kitten and this behavior is unknown to us.
His companion, one and a half year old, is sneezing a lot but eating normally.
Currently, I am keeping them separated but what should I tell the vet when I see them tomorrow? I suspect both cats have a cold. I am keeping my 14 year old isolated in case he comes down with it too.
Should I suggest antibiotics? Appetite stimulants?

Yes to both. If he can not smell his food he will not eat it and cats can go downhill rapidly if they stop eating. Has he had all of his kitten shots?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I suspect that both have a URI and am glad that you will see the vet tomorrow. In the meantime, try to get the one who is not eating to try something including Gerber's baby food meat..the stage 2 sitter food. Try to keep him hydrated as well. Make a list of all the symptoms and send them in to the vet in writing as I assume that you will not be allowed in. If you are not seeing the vet face to face or through a decent phone conversation it is imperative that he understand what is going on in case he does not take it seriously enough. Ask if they need antibiotics, both cats, and appetite stimulants. The latter only do that though, so just getting those and not rooting out the problem will not make the kitten better. Keep them separated and away from your other cat. If it is a URI or something contagioius, ask about how long they cats should be separated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes to both. If he can not smell his food he will not eat it and cats can go downhill rapidly if they stop eating. Has he had all of his kitten shots?
He has had his first set and will go in for a booster right before or after Christmas.

Thank you for all your suggestions. I tried baby food (we always keep some for cat emergencies) but he wouldn't touch it. He is alert and curious but sleeping a lot. I have tried a bit of force feeding but he spits it all out.
I will be able to see vet face to face (with mask), thankfully. So, I intend to explain the problem and hopefully, get some help. Thanks for alerting me to what to ask for. I couldn't think of all the questions.
Will giving Lysine help in any way? I have some that I use for the ferals I feed.
How can this develop with indoor only cats?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Some use lysine and you can ask the vet about that, but I am concerned that you might need antibiotics first of all.

I suggested URI but we don't know that for sure until you see the vet. The only outbreak I had of that in my house was about 10 years ago when I rescued an evidently sick kitten who was taken to the vet for meds. She was also kept outside (it was summer) in a huge dog crate to protect my indoor cats. When the vet cleared her, I brought her inside and had a massive outbreak. The vet was even prescribing over the phone without asking to see my cats as one by one got it. The source is hard to tell but vet may have some ideas. My cat vet always says that things can be brought into the house easily which I take more in theory than practice (and probably should not) as I only ever had that one episode of a clear infection from a defined source.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try warming up his food to see if that helps. Sometimes the Fancy Feast kitten food with some kitten milk replacer added to make it like oatmeal and then warmed up for a little bit will entice him to eat. If he's congested, he can't smell his food, therefore he's not eating. You could also get your bathroom steamy and then sit with him in there until the steam dissipates to break up any congestion in his nose. You can try plain saline nose drops in his nose, too, just one or two in each nostril to help ease congestion.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
He has had his first set and will go in for a booster right before or after Christmas.

Thank you for all your suggestions. I tried baby food (we always keep some for cat emergencies) but he wouldn't touch it. He is alert and curious but sleeping a lot. I have tried a bit of force feeding but he spits it all out.
I will be able to see vet face to face (with mask), thankfully. So, I intend to explain the problem and hopefully, get some help. Thanks for alerting me to what to ask for. I couldn't think of all the questions.
Will giving Lysine help in any way? I have some that I use for the ferals I feed.
How can this develop with indoor only cats?

He could have well been exposed to the virus before he came to your house. All of my cats are indoors but just about every year a one of them will get a upper respiratory infection and then it spreads like wildfire throughout the house. Lysine is good and I would urge that you discuss using it with your vet. Hopefully you won't need to use it and that antibiotics will solve the problem.

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
There have been a few studies now that not only shows Lysine not to be helpful but actually may be harmful. (Lysine supplementation is not effective for the prevention or treatment of feline herpesvirus 1 infection in cats: a systematic review)

So most likely this is feline herpes. Over 95% of cats have feline herpes – including our indoor only cats as they were infected from mother as kittens. This virus is a retrovirus – meaning once our cats are infected they are infected for life. The virus hides out and during periods of stress can cause URI symptoms. So either your 1.5 year old was stressed over your new kitten causing the symptoms or your kitten was stressed and also caused the symptoms in your 1.5 year old.

As long as the discharge is clear you shouldn’t need antibiotics since this is a viral disease. (Overusing antibiotics causes restraint bacteria to develop. Antibiotic resistance is a major problem in human and veterinary medicine.)

Supportive care such as subQ fluids can be helpful and depending antiviral medication such as famciclovir. Seeing the vet tomorrow is the correct choice and hopefully they can get your two kitties feeling better soon!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There have been a few studies now that not only shows Lysine not to be helpful but actually may be harmful.
BlackCatOp BlackCatOp - I'm aware of only one "study" that suggests (not demonstrates) possible harm from Lysine, the one you referenced by Bols & Bunnick.

However, since that was published, I have read a number of rebuttals from veterinary professionals giving it short shrift, among which is this from a Diplomate - Ophthalmology:
"...this review casts aside positive results of Lysine on FHV clinical signs, and provides the unhelpful conclusion that “cats suffering from an active FHV-1 infection may be given extra palatable food and some extra love and attention”. The preeminent veterinary ophthalmologists currently studying FHV, Thomasy and Maggs, concluded in 2016 that “lysine is safe when orally administered to cats and, provided that it is administered as a bolus, may reduce viral shedding in latently infected cats and clinical signs in cats undergoing primary exposure to the virus”.​
Clinically, the author [writer] therefore still recommends L-lysine in any cat with herpes that will tolerate its administration; i.e. if the act of giving lysine creates further stress or inappetence for the cat, it may then be contraindicated. Client education about the controversy is also clearly important."​
The Thomasy & Maggs study referenced: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4930706/

In the 20+ years of postings on this site, and in the 20+ years experience of the specialized online community Feline Herpes Yahoo Group there have been no known cases of harm coming to cats from the administration of L-lysine. Surely, if the B&B theoretical concerns bore any merit, cats would have been 'dropping like flies' during this time. Yet, the opposite of that appears to have been demonstrated - cats have benefited from this drug therapy and have thrived.

So, oyster oyster - I'm sure you'll ask your Vet's opinion tomorrow - why don't you either print a copy of Dr. Coster's article (my first link there) or send the link along. Personally, I agree with BlakCatOp that it appears to be herpesvirus and likewise I wouldn't be accepting of antibiotics unless the effects were severe (Dr. Coster speaks to this in there). Ultimately you will have the treatment decisions in your hands. Hopefully, now you'll be better informed!

Oh.........don't forget the TCS kitty tax for services rendered :lol:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha! white shadow white shadow Kitty tax! Lolololol Send me a bill!

I can only say that the vet is your best reference for medication and that my vet started my Felv cat on LLysine almost thirteen years ago. At that time Felv cats were often PTS. He is still here and not demonstrating symptoms. I have also been told to use it on some of my rescues with colds or viruses. All are okay and it seemed to help them. I hope your vet visit was good and that kitty is feeling better. You did the right thing keeping the older cat away until you talk to your vet. Sending healing purrs! :vibes::redheartpump: Please do update us.

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, the vet requested we not show up today as they are slammed with patients. They have asked us to monitor the little one and come in tomorrow, if needed.They think it might be his teeth. And have asked me not to give the kitten Lysine--yet.
Meanwhile, I have administered Lysine to the older cat (1 1/2 year old) while keeping the 14 year old cat isolated. The "middle child" as we call him, whose name is Truffles, is much better already. I put him in the bathroom today so hopefully, the steam helped too. He has sneezed twice all day. His appetite remains unaltered.
The little one--Nutmeg, ate his morning meal--nearly all of it. But he is refusing to touch anything else. I tried raw chicken, broth, 3 different foods. He will eat them if I feed him by hand. So, that is what I have been doing. If he doesn't start eating independently by tonight, I will take him to the vet tomorrow. He has also been playing all day and hardly stopped to rest. So, I don't think he is sick.
Our recently departed cat had FeLV so I am familiar with that disease.
I will keep everyone updated. Thank you all for all your suggestions.

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
BlackCatOp BlackCatOp - I'm aware of only one "study" that suggests (not demonstrates) possible harm from Lysine, the one you referenced by Bols & Bunnick.

However, since that was published, I have read a number of rebuttals from veterinary professionals giving it short shrift, among which is this from a Diplomate - Ophthalmology:
"...this review casts aside positive results of Lysine on FHV clinical signs, and provides the unhelpful conclusion that “cats suffering from an active FHV-1 infection may be given extra palatable food and some extra love and attention”. The preeminent veterinary ophthalmologists currently studying FHV, Thomasy and Maggs, concluded in 2016 that “lysine is safe when orally administered to cats and, provided that it is administered as a bolus, may reduce viral shedding in latently infected cats and clinical signs in cats undergoing primary exposure to the virus”.​
Clinically, the author [writer] therefore still recommends L-lysine in any cat with herpes that will tolerate its administration; i.e. if the act of giving lysine creates further stress or inappetence for the cat, it may then be contraindicated. Client education about the controversy is also clearly important."​
The Thomasy & Maggs study referenced: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4930706/

In the 20+ years of postings on this site, and in the 20+ years experience of the specialized online community Feline Herpes Yahoo Group there have been no known cases of harm coming to cats from the administration of L-lysine. Surely, if the B&B theoretical concerns bore any merit, cats would have been 'dropping like flies' during this time. Yet, the opposite of that appears to have been demonstrated - cats have benefited from this drug therapy and have thrived.

Just because something isn’t healthy or not good doesn’t mean it will cause instant death. Take feeding a dry food only diet. I hope we can all agree that dry food is unhealthy and causes negative health effects but kitties don’t drop dead like flies. Heck, I’m sure there’s probably some antidotal evidence of someone feeding their cats dry food only their entire lives and all their cats lived for 20+ yrs.

I didn’t list all of the papers as not all of them are open source. But since you asked – here are two more. ;)

Drazenovich TL, Fascetti AJ, Westermeyer HD, et al. Effects of dietary lysine supplementation on upper respiratory and ocular disease and detection of infectious organisms in cats within an animal shelter. Am J Vet Res. 2009;70(11):1391-1400.​

“Results of the present study suggested that cats fed the lysine-supplemented diet ate sufficient quantities and absorbed sufficient lysine to significantly increase their plasma lysine concentration to values similar to but somewhat lower than those yielded through bolus lysine administration. Despite the increase in plasma lysine concentration, there was no significant reduction in severity of IURD or FHV-1 DNA detection rate in the supplemented cats. Rather, at certain points throughout the 4-week study, more cats fed the lysine-supplemented diet had moderate to severe illness and FHV-1 DNA detected in swab specimens collected from their oropharyngeal and conjunctival mucosa than did cats fed the unsupplemented basal diet. When these results are considered together with data from 2 other studies8,10 in which lysine supplementation was provided to cats in IURD-endemic populations, the data suggest that neither 5% to 6% dietary lysine supplementation nor once-daily bolus administration of 250 or 500 mg of lysine in cats within a shelter environment is effective in reducing severity of clinical signs of IURD or the probability of FHV-1 DNA detection. In fact, dietary lysine supplementation may exacerbate clinical signs of IURD and detection of FHV-1 DNA at some time points in a feline shelter.”​

Andrea J. Fascetti, David J. Maggs, Marc L. Kanchuk, Heather E. Clarke, Quinton R. Rogers, Excess Dietary Lysine Does Not Cause Lysine-Arginine Antagonism in Adult Cats, The Journal of Nutrition, Volume 134, Issue 8, August 2004, Pages 2042S–2045S​

“The mean body weights of the cats did not differ significantly among or change within the dietary treatment groups throughout the study. However, there was a reduction in food-intake amount in the cats that consumed 111 or 131 g of lysine/kg of diet, and by d 14, this difference approached significance. A longer study period may have yielded a statistically significant difference. Two likely causes for this reduction in food-intake amount are the increased quantities of water needed to incorporate the higher amounts of lysine into solution in the 111 and 131 g of lysine/kg of diet concentrations, or toxic effects of high concentrations of lysine in these two diets. There was no change in dietary dry-matter intake when equivalent amounts of water only were added to the basal diet. Therefore, the reduction in food-intake level in the cats that consumed 111 or 131 g of lysine/kg of diet was most likely the result of the excess dietary lysine and not the water used to incorporate it into solution.​
It is hypothesized that the reduction in food intake in this study was the result of an amino acid toxicity. A reduction in food intake can be the result of amino acid imbalance, toxicity, or antagonism (12). Excess dietary lysine was shown to antagonize arginine in chicks (13), rats (14), guinea pigs (15), and growing dogs (9). An amino acid imbalance resulting in a reduction in both food-intake and weight gain was reported for young pigs that consumed diets that contained 34.5 or 46.5 g of lysine/kg of diet and 5.3 g of arginine/kg of diet (11). A reduction in food intake coupled with the absence of reduced plasma amino acid concentrations and clinical signs of arginine deficiency support an amino acid toxicity at the two highest dietary lysine concentrations fed in this study.”​

In addition, the review paper you referenced by Thomasy and Maggs, while the authors summarized that lysine was safe and may reduce viral shedding in latently infected cats; the papers they cited that conducted the primary research did not come to the same conclusion.
For example: The authors of the review suggest bolus administration and yet the paper cited using bolus administration showed lysine to be ineffective at reducing clinical signs.

Rees TM, Lubinski JL. Oral supplementation with l-lysine did not prevent upper respiratory infection in a shelter population of cats. Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery. 2008;10(5):510-513.​

“Lysine supplementation is commonly used in shelters empirically as a method to suppress or prevent URI, with the assumption that a large percentage of URI is caused by FHV. Although these findings are specific to one shelter and one set of circumstances, these findings suggest that lysine supplementation may not be effective in preventing URI in a stressful shelter situation. Time, staffing, and money may be better spent in working toward developing infection control practices, limiting fomite transmission, and general stress reduction.”​

In addition: The authors report that viral shedding may be reduced. However, reduced viral shedding does not correlated with reduced clinical signs of URI. And actually the study cited showed lysine supplemented cats had worse clinical signs and also viral shedding.

Drazenovich, Fascetti. “Effects of Dietary Lysine Supplementation on Upper Respiratory and Ocular Disease and Detection of Infectious Organisms in Cats Within an Animal Shelter.” American journal of veterinary research 70.11 (2009): 1391–1400​

“Results of the present study suggested that cats fed the lysine-supplemented diet ate sufficient quantities and absorbed sufficient lysine to significantly increase their plasma lysine concentration to values similar to but somewhat lower than those yielded through bolus lysine administration. Despite the increase in plasma lysine concentration, there was no significant reduction in severity of IURD or FHV-1 DNA detection rate in the supplemented cats. Rather, at certain points throughout the 4-week study, more cats fed the lysine-supplemented diet had moderate to severe illness and FHV-1 DNA detected in swab specimens collected from their oropharyngeal and conjunctival mucosa than did cats fed the unsupplemented basal diet. When these results are considered together with data from 2 other studies8,10 in which lysine supplementation was provided to cats in IURD-endemic populations, the data suggest that neither 5% to 6% dietary lysine supplementation nor once-daily bolus administration of 250 or 500 mg of lysine in cats within a shelter environment is effective in reducing severity of clinical signs of IURD or the probability of FHV-1 DNA detection. In fact, dietary lysine supplementation may exacerbate clinical signs of IURD and detection of FHV-1 DNA at some time points in a feline shelter.​

Finally, the review cites a study where lysine is administered PRIOR to feline herpesvirus exposure. Obviously, this is impractical with any of our house cats (morbidity of FHV-1 is nearly 100%) and negates the decreased in conjunctivitis seen in the lysine treated group. This study does not (IMHO) at all support the use for lysine as a treatment for herpes.

Stiles J, Townsend WM, Rogers QR, Krohne SG. Effect of oral administration of L-lysine on conjunctivitis caused by feline herpesvirus in cats. Am J Vet Res. 2002 Jan;63(1):99-103.​

“The findings of this study suggest that orally administered lysine in a dosage of 500 mg administered twice daily is well tolerated and lessens the severity of FHV-1–induced conjunctivitis. Although a shortened course of disease has been noted in humans, cats that received lysine in our study had conjunctivitis for the same time period as cats that received placebo. Prevention or early treatment with lysine may be more efficacious in cats than treating an infection that is already established.”​

Now, I understand that two of the above studies are using shelter cats. But if improvement in clinical signs aren’t noticed with the most “severely stressed” cat population then my logic is results are probably not going to be noticed in normal house cats.

My intent by posting the info regarding lysine supplementation was not to misinform anyone or cause a huge disagreement but to inform the OP that there are two sides to the lysine debate. I have taken my cat to the vet in the past for URI and been told just to give her lysine. I didn’t pay an exam fee and go thru the hassle of getting her to the vet (prior feral) just to be told to supplement lysine. There is no clear evidence that it actually works and it is NOT a true antiviral like famciclovir.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted you to know that we all have you and the kitties in our thoughts. Hoping that things improve. Hand feeding? Whatever works, right?!?! Very glad that there is food intake. Truffles is better? Yay! Keep eating Nutmeg! :happycat:

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: Took Nutmeg to the vet today. They did a decent examination and could find nothing wrong with him other than a distended stomach. He got a shot for possible stomach ache and one appetite stimulant shot. He has been without food for about 6 hours and I was told to feed him normally in the evening. And if he still doesn't eat, I will have to take him back tomorrow for a detailed examination and tests.
His testicles haven't descended either and the doctor thinks it will be a difficult surgery when it is time to neuter him in a few months.
For now, Nutmeg is behaving normally--playing and sleeping, and begging for food. No URI, no inflammation in gums.
I asked the doctor what could be wrong with him then. He thinks Nutmeg ate something that disagrees with him or something toxic. I can't imagine what as we keep all plants, chemicals, etc. out of reach of cats and children.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he ate something toxic, you would probably see vomiting, diarrhea, and extreme lethargy. It could be that he's constipated, which makes them not want to eat. You could add some plain canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) to wet food to keep things moving along. He could also not like the food offered or he could be cutting teeth

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They examined his teeth and there didn't seem any problem. But I think you hit the nail on the head--he IS constipated. I am going to add some pumpkin tomorrow. We don't have canned pumpkin. I puree my own pumpkins so have some in the freezer. I didn't realize constipation decreases appetite. He ate a bowl of homemade chicken broth and half a can of wet food. Won't touch any more. I hope to get in more broth because liquid helps with everything, right?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Make sure you're feeding him wet food at least twice a day. I always add a little bit of pumpkin and a little bit of water to food to make the consistency like thick oatmeal. This gets the fiber in them and the water. Both are needed to keep bowels moving. You should be able to defrost the pumpkin puree pretty easily and quickly in water, if it's not a large amount.

If he's constipated, there's nowhere for his waste to go once he eats, so it just kind of backs up. Keep an eye on him and if he doesn't start pooping regularly, he might need to get to the vet for an enema.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Constipation makes them feel pretty uncomfortable but it sounds like you have gotten the advice needed already. You are right that the liquids should really help. I hope the litter box is used VERY soon! Very glad you got Nutmeg to the vet.

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long should I wait to see the results before I need to head back to the vet? He is still not eating as before--only half a bowl and that too when I hand feed him. I have to be at work and I don't know how long this can continue.

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Very frustrating! He is not eating at all.
He only eats his bowl of food (about 1.5 oz) in the morning and that is all for the day. I manage a few bites with hand feeding in the afternoon.
I cannot afford to take him back again so soon. Just spent a 100 on him yesterday. He was eating all the foods before Sunday. He has not pooped today. He is playing like he normally does. Has no fever. I am baffled.