3 month old kitten vomitting

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello

We have a 3 month old Maine coon ragdoll mix and she just threw up. I know that her and my male dsh get into each other's food and they eat different food. Is this something I should be concerned about? Or something to just keep an eye on?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
First, is there a specific reason the two cats eat different food, i.e. does one have an allergy or other health issue? If so, they should be fed separately. All cats throw up at some point, sometimes they eat too fast, have a hairball, etc. I would wait awhile before feeding the Maine Coon/Ragdoll mix again and then when you do offer food don't go overboard and keep an eye on her. If she continues to vomit put in a call to your vet and ask their opinion. Best of luck, please keep us posted on her progress. :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello

We have a 3 month old Maine coon ragdoll mix and she just threw up. I know that her and my male dsh get into each other's food and they eat different food. Is this something I should be concerned about? Or something to just keep an eye on?
She also has loose stool. I think it's due to food being switched too fast because she eats the other cats food. Should I keep her on nothing but dry food until she has solid stools?

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First, is there a specific reason the two cats eat different food, i.e. does one have an allergy or other health issue? If so, they should be fed separately. All cats throw up at some point, sometimes they eat too fast, have a hairball, etc. I would wait awhile before feeding the Maine Coon/Ragdoll mix again and then when you do offer food don't go overboard and keep an eye on her. If she continues to vomit put in a call to your vet and ask their opinion. Best of luck, please keep us posted on her progress. :alright:
They eat different food because we just adopted them from different places and they each were on different foods. We are going to transition the other cat to eating Penny's (Maine coon) food so they are eating the same food.

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know the vomiting and diarrhea are probably food related. She just ate some dry food of hers and is lounging.

After she vomited and defecated she curled up in my arms for about 20 minutes and just purred. We have only had her a week and she is the biggest suggle bug!

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
She also has loose stool. I think it's due to food being switched too fast because she eats the other cats food. Should I keep her on nothing but dry food until she has solid stools?
You have to transition her to another food slowly or else it will affect her stools. The best food for her would be canned not dry but as I mentioned one thing at a time. Once her stools improve then slowly transition her to canned food. Here is a TCS Article about it:
Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food – TheCatSite Articles

Just out of curiosity, since you've only had her a week has she had an exam by your vet? This might help clear up any problems with vomiting and diarrhea.

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You have to transition her to another food slowly or else it will affect her stools. The best food for her would be canned not dry but as I mentioned one thing at a time. Once her stools improve then slowly transition her to canned food. Here is a TCS Article about it:

Just out of curiosity, since you've only had her a week has she had an exam by your vet? This might help clear up any problems with vomiting and diarrhea.
She was seen by the vet before we adopted her and she is scheduled for a visit with our vet next weekend, which is the soonest we could get her in. Vets here are slammed right now.

catdadMI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I'm also not trying to transition her to a new food. She keeps getting in our other kittens food. I've been trying to feed them together to build positive associations but my house is kinda hectic and I haven't paid close enough attention during meal time.

I'm going to start feeding in separate rooms which should solve the problem.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
She was seen by the vet before we adopted her and she is scheduled for a visit with our vet next weekend, which is the soonest we could get her in. Vets here are slammed right now.
I completely understand, it's not easy to get a vet appointment here either. Write down all your questions and concerns beforehand and talk with your vet next weekend. Good luck, please let us know how the vet appointment goes. :crossfingers: