3 Month Old Kitten Starting Her Heat??

infireskay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two kittens, both 14 weeks, brother and sister. my female kitten has been doing the mating call... the low rumble meow. and her brother has been hissing and growling at her recently.. does this mean she's going into heat?? and if so when would be a good
time to get them fixed??
thank you! ☺☺ and Merry Christmas❄

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's a bit young, it is generally no earlier than 16 weeks, but...apparently no one told your kitten that. She is either entering her first heat, or preparing for it. The sooner you can get her spayed, the better. Males only rarely mature earlier than six months, but if he is responding to her, why take chanced? So...ASAP, to the vet.

And a very Merry Christmas to you, as well!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have only heard about a 14-week-old going into heat once. . .but yes, it's possible! Yikes! Yes, get them to the vet right away. The male probably won't know what to do for a couple months but you don't want to take any chances. If the vet only has one appointment (or you only have the funds for one surgery right now), have the female done first.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, yes! Female first! IF the male is maturing at the same rate, he can impregnate her for several days after being neutered!

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats mature at different rates. (For example, Toad had her first and so far only heat at 6.5 months.) It's unusual for a cat as young as yours to go into heat, but it's not impossible. She's old enough to be spayed safely, so I'd do it now. Don't wait.