3-Legger not adjusting - I'm close to giving up

zeppelincat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry, this is long.... My cat (7 yrs old) had to have his front leg amputated last year. At first it seemed he was fine with it, but the last several months have shown otherwise. Zeppelin was a very lazy cat to begin with, so I was afraid he'd be too lazy to adjust to being 3-legged.

We moved into a two story apartment. The litter box and food were downstairs. He did not take to the stairs very well and pooped upstairs and wasn't eating, so I moved his stuff upstairs. We ended up moving to a single story apartment. He hid under my bed 24/7 only coming out late at night to eat. He's pooped outside the box and when he does go in the box, he doesn't cover (that's been since the surgery).

The biggest problem is that he is too lazy to come out of my room, so he just pees on everything in there. My $2,000 bed is ruined, bathroom floor ruined, carpet ruined, clothes ruined, washer/dryer reeks of cat urine. And for what, for him to just hide all day?? What's the point of having him? I tried bringing him into the living room as often as I could for exercise and socialization. I noticed he doesn't have good balance anymore, probably from not being active.

My final solution has been to put a child-gate on my bedroom door keeping him out so he's forced to be out and about with us (can't just close the door b/c of the A/C). So far he's using the box, but he still just lays on the couch 24/7 and just seems miserable. There's plenty of places to hide out here but he stays on the couch, so I don't think he was hiding under my bed to feel safe. I've saturated him with love and affection, treats, and attempts at playing with him. My room smells like a cat urinal and it makes me resent the cat, especially because other than that, everything is covered with his hair and he's pretty useless.

Before you judge me, know that I have moved mountains to keep this cat in my life over the years and I paid a lot of money to take his leg instead of take his life. He has no good quality of life and I'm stressed. I'm a single mom of a child with medical problems and I have a very stressful job. This cannot continue. Maybe I should find someone else who doesn't work and doesn't have kids and can devote more time and effort to my sweet cat? Any other ideas? Thoughts? Would it be cruel to put his harness and leash on and take him on "walks" to get him to use the leg more? He has no interest in his favorite toys anymore. He's given up on life.........

Last edited by a moderator:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Sounds like a very frustrating situation indeed. Adjustment to a loss of limb is easy with a kitten but as you're seeing, an older cat can have a much harder time, both physically and mentally. It can take years and you'll have to be very very patient. He needs you and needs your help and your stress levels could be affecting him and vice versa. I wrote a piece about that vicious circle a while ago:

You, Your Cat and Stress

There are things you can do to lower his stress levels but I think you should also look into dealing with your own stress as it probably affect your cat. Here is an article about how to reduce stress in cats - 

Six Surefire Strategies to Reduce Stress in Cats

I think your general idea of physical therapy is a good one. I'm not sure about using a harness, it may or may not work and if it doesn't work for him, it could be too stressful. I would suggest starting with some interactive playtime on a regular basis. Start with short 5 minute long sessions and work your way up to 15-20 minutes -

Playing with Your Cat: Ten Things Every Cat Owner Needs to Know

I understand your frustration but you've done so much for this cat until now and you are his only hope. Surrendering him to a shelter is a death sentence and like you said, Zeppelin would need a very very special kind of home to accept him and help him heal. It's not just a question of not working and not having kids, it's a question of being willing to accept a special-needs cat with potential litterbox problems. If you can find such a home then maybe re-homing would be an option, as long as the new owners are fully committed to helping him because sounds like he does need a lot of help. Moving to a new home would be extremely stressful for him, so you'll have to be 100% positive that it's going to be a forever home.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Anne has some great advice there!

Though have you taken him to the vet?

What litter are you using? Try Cat Attect litter- it's supposed to help gear cats to the boxes.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Anne has some great advice there!

Though have you taken him to the vet?

What litter are you using? Try Cat Attect litter- it's supposed to help gear cats to the boxes.
I was going to suggest the same thing. The fact that he just goes to the loo where ever he is makes me think he is in pain and finding it too difficult to move. I've heard that cats experience phantom pain after having a leg amputated just the same as people do. Have you tried talking to your vet about this?

terri9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Zepplincat,

I'm also new here, but as I am just about to embark on amputation for my old girl, (she's 15, and has just been diagnosed with a fibrosarcoma on her font leg)wanted to read your post, to find out what was happening.

It sounds like you are all having a tough time, and I feel for you.

I noted that you said Zepplin seemed to be ok with his leg loss to begin with, but has changed over the last few months, I cant help wondering if the stress he is feeling might be due to the two moves, you say you moved to a two storey, then a one storey, maybe he is finding all the changes difficult to cope with? I think those sort of changes for any cat are confusing and stressful, but being a special needs kitty, he may be having difficulty adjusting to new surroundings, and just tends to stay where he feels safe and comfortable.

After all the time and money you have been through trying to keep Zepplin in your life, I think it would be vey sad for all of you, to give up now, you obviously love him very much.

How long have you been in your new place now? Has Zepplin had enough time to get used to everything, maybe he just needs more time to realise he is safe and to find his way around.

Its just a thought, I know how stressed kitties can get when they go to a new home, and having now done this twice, maybe Zepplin is just feeling confused and dis-orientated.

I agree with one of the other comments, you also must try to get your own stress levels down, as this will impact on how Zepplin feels, they are amazing on picking up on our moods, I know this must be very difficult under the circumstances, and sympathise completely.

Ultimately, if you really feel that you are starting to resent Zepplin, then maybe finding him a new home would be best, but PLEASE consider this option very carefully, and if you do decide to go down that route, be 100% sure he goes to someone who has the time and patience to give him everything he needs, and that you are completely sure that is the right choice, so that you do not end up hating yourself for giving up on him.

I wish you all the very best in whatever decision you make.

Terri.

meplus5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Everyone above has some excellent comments and suggestions. Your boy has gone through a tremendous life change, one that most people have a very hard time adjusting to, never mind a cat who relies on his legs to survive in the wild.

You have invested so much time, energy and money into him already, that it would be not only sad for him to go, but sad for you. It would certainly be a death sentence for him to go to a shelter, or given to a home that isn't prepared for what he needs. Would you be able to live with that decision?

I think taking him to the vet for another work over to check everything out is a good start. Cats are highly adaptable and I've seen many learn to live with 3 legs. It's unusual for a cat to soil themselves or be so unmotivated to not do anything at all, that it makes me think it's also a medical issue. Phantom pain is a good point.

Good luck, keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zeppelincat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry it has been so long since I have updated on the situation. I tried all of your recommendations and to no avail. Alas, I think we are currently in the end zone. Two nights ago, while in bed, I heard him flopping around in the living room (didn't realize that's what that sound had been until what happened the next day...see below) and then proceeded to cry for hours despite going and talking to him a few times.

I came home yesterday from work and found him sleeping in his litter box. When I tried to talk him into coming out, he started flopping around and couldn't get out. Looks like he didn't have use of one of his back legs. He has been sleeping on my bed ever since with no ability to get up.

So it would seem that this whole time perhaps he was having issues with his back legs which is why he wasn't getting up to go to the litter box when he was in the back bedrooms because it required more than normal effort.

Sad to say that I have made an appointment to put him down. A cat who cannot walk does not have a good quality of life. On the bright side, he was never a cuddler but today I get to cuddle with him until it's time to go....

Here's to happy eight years, Zeppelin Cat!!!! I love you!!!! I hope you get to pounce around chasing cockroaches in kitty heaven :)))

Thanks everyone!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zeppelincat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For those reading this thread looking for answers for your own situation, I must a few things. I took him to the vet last Thursday and talked about the urination problem. Everyone at the clinic kept talking me it was behavioral and blah blah. I knew in my gut that something was wrong. Besides, I would be more inclined to believe it was behavioral if it wasn't for the fact that I found him lying in his own urine several times. They usually do it and walk away when it's behavioral. The vet gave him a full physical and didn't find anything out of the ordinary.

Looking back on all the times I brought him to the vet for this issue (even switched vets), I wish I would've been more insistent on the fact that it was NOT behavioral and not allow them all to dismiss it as such. Had they found the root of the problem earlier, the end result would've been the same, but I'm hoping he hasn't been suffering all these months.... Plus, to see him like that, flopping around like a fish, was very sad to see... Moral of the story, TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS!!!

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry this has happened to you and your cat. Might it be worth trying going to a different vet to see why he is having issues with his back legs in case it's just a simple sprain or arthritis? Why did he have a front leg amputated--could there be a link?

Last edited:

terri9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Zeppelincat, I've just read your post, and had to reply. You may remember I was about to have my girls leg amputated when you first started posting on here. She had the op, recovered well, and seemed to be getting on pretty well to start with. She has bad arthritis in her remaining legs, (she is a senior lady!) and the past couple if months as the weather has got colder and wetter (UK) she has seemed to have gone backwards, she is now kept on one level as stairs are impossible, and recently started to show signs of discomfort. We tried acupuncture which seemed to help initially, but after several sessions, she started to appear very sensitive along her spine, and not really improving. Back to vet, where she was given a 24hr drip to infuse keratin before being started on gabapentin for the pain relief.(the infusion was to help the sensitivity as the gabapentin takes a week or so to get going)Got started on gabapentin and she was spaced out and falling about to begin with, reduced dose, and she now seems to be adjusting and improving slightly, hopefully this will be the answer. I guess what I'm trying to say here is, with a decent vet on the case, many of the hurdles can be worked through, I would definitely try and find a good vet, that can talk through all of Zepplin's issues,look at all the options available and advise you what's the best route to take. I'm sure there is a good explanation for his behaviour, and with the right course of treatment you might have a better outcome, but a decent vet is essential in these situations. Please let us know what you decide. I am thinking of you, I know how difficult it can be, especially watching them suffering. I wish you good luck in deciding what to do.
Terri. Xx

meplus5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ugh. reading your post broke my heart. I can't imagine what it's like to see your furbaby in that condition, but I do understand the hard decisions you have to make, and the feeling of not knowing if they are suffering or not.

Something just doesn't sound right. Cats do not soil themselves without a medical issue. This is not behavioural.

As for sleeping the little box, it's also uncommon.

But your boy just sounds like a very odd situation. Cats adapt very well to having 3 legs. Something else is going on but without a vet telling you what, it's hard to make an informed decision.

People will keep telling you to get another vet opinion, but only you can determine if that makes sense. I know it's not cheap, and it's not fun, but a physical examination won't tell you what's going on. I almost thing you need to find a vet who specializes in orthopedics or something. A simple x-ray could show something going on.

If it's a matter of him just not having balance or not learning how to cope with 3 legs, there are ways to help him with that too. Think of it like cat physiotherapy. There are things you can do at home.

I agree with you that his current state is no quality of life and a cat shouldn't live like that. But I also agree that someone out there will know what's going on with him and it's a matter of finding the right veterinarian to help you make an informed decision. You know your boy best, and you have to be ok with whatever you decide.

Please keep us posted, and we'll be thinking about Zeppelin.