3 kittens euthanized within 7 months of each other for FIP

lionandlamb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is a long story that involved a painful experience with a rescue person that I entrusted some kittens to.  I'll try to condense it to this basic question -- What are the chances of 3 kittens, 2 of them held in a garage for 7 months, developing FIP?   The first was from a different litter than the other two, who were sibling brothers.

Was it just a run of bad luck, or would you feel in your gut that the rescue person was remiss in some way and the mutation for FIP for the other 2 siblings may have been avoided?

Thanks in advance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lionandlamb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I am so sorry to read about the little ones,  I just did a search on this site's search engine 'what is FIP?' lot's of links to read, here is one that seems to hit basic stuff. From the little bit I've read, probably not much else could have been done, this seems to be a problem in catteries :( :(  

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/152891/can-someone-please-tell-me-what-fip-is
Thank you, yes I know a bit about FIP.   Stress, vague term as it is, is a factor.   If I went into the details, I don't think anyone here would be able to forgive this person either.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

This is a long story that involved a painful experience with a rescue person that I entrusted some kittens to.  I'll try to condense it to this basic question -- What are the chances of 3 kittens, 2 of them held in a garage for 7 months, developing FIP?   The first was from a different litter than the other two, who were sibling brothers.

Was it just a run of bad luck, or would you feel in your gut that the rescue person was remiss in some way and the mutation for FIP for the other 2 siblings may have been avoided?

Thanks in advance.
I've known situations, 2 to be specific, where more than one cat in the household came down with FIP.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lionandlamb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I've known situations, 2 to be specific, where more than one cat in the household came down with FIP.
Yes but this was not a household situation.  This was a garage situation where there was no attempt to find fosterers/socializers for the kittens and except for basic needs they were essentially neglected.  For the lamest of reasons.  They were given back to me (after I finished with the others) sick and "a mess".   I had no idea there was a problem until I went to pick them up.   I would have taken all 5 when I brought them to her (by the way, semi-feral) kittens (the other 3 siblings were only with her for 12 days when I picked them up, socialized them and they got adopted and are healthy).   It is my contention that the prolonged stay in her garage, exposed to other cats (especially the other kitten who was confirmed for FIP on necropsy) made these kittens vulnerable to something they should not have been.   I feel they were cheated.

cat-tech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did your vet say FIP has been prevalent in your area?  That's a possibility too.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FIP is not passed by exposure to an ill cat. There must be a mutation of the feline enteric c coronavirus to cause FIP, meaning these kittens were, if confirmed by a necropsy, already at risk. Was a necropsy done on all 3 to confirm FIP?