3 ferals at snow

natalievetech

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have done rescue work with feral cats and with the younger ones that are "not so feral" I will usually pick them up carefully, slowly and quietly by the scruff of the neck and place a carrier on end (on the floor with the door facing up) and lower them into the carrier butt first, then do not release the cat till you have the door almost completely shut.  Release the cat, pull your hand out and shut the door the rest of the way and secure it.  Then lower the carrier to the floor slowly.  Most people do not know, but scruffing a cat releases endorphins which is soothing to them.  That does not mean it works on all cats.  It definately does not work on alpha male or female cats.  The alpha genes overide the endorphins and it just enrages them.  But it does sooth young cats and adult scardy cats.

Also on the Felaway infuser.  When you get to the point where  you can handle the cats better.  I have had better success with the pheromone collars then the infusers.  I think it's because it keeps the pheromones more centralized where you need them, around the cats nose.  I like nurtureCalm 24/7 Feline Calming Collar.  They cost about $10.00 each and last about 4-6 weeks.

Good Luck, Natalie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have done rescue work with feral cats and with the younger ones that are "not so feral" I will usually pick them up carefully, slowly and quietly by the scruff of the neck and place a carrier on end (on the floor with the door facing up) and lower them into the carrier butt first, then do not release the cat till you have the door almost completely shut.  Release the cat, pull your hand out and shut the door the rest of the way and secure it.  Then lower the carrier to the floor slowly.  Most people do not know, but scruffing a cat releases endorphins which is soothing to them.  That does not mean it works on all cats.  It definately does not work on alpha male or female cats.  The alpha genes overide the endorphins and it just enrages them.  But it does sooth young cats and adult scardy cats.

Also on the Felaway infuser.  When you get to the point where  you can handle the cats better.  I have had better success with the pheromone collars then the infusers.  I think it's because it keeps the pheromones more centralized where you need them, around the cats nose.  I like nurtureCalm 24/7 Feline Calming Collar.  They cost about $10.00 each and last about 4-6 weeks.

Good Luck, Natalie
You are perhaps replying some early post?

Currently I have quite sure way of getting cat into carrier, I just play with toy mouse and throw it into carrier, cat runs after the mouse and is happily in carrier, then I can close the door. Doing that almost weekly teaches them that it is no horror at all as opening the door they can roam freely again.

Cat treats work well also.

Of course there is Mauku who is not willing to do any of such activity and grabbing her will lead painful experience, but there is not much need to get her into carrier either.

Recently I have been upgrading their room with pathways near ceiling, tunnels, nests, climbing trees and most recently with a hammock.

I think that I have spoiled them as outgoing threesome decided to come back in after only 30minutes, weather might have had something to do with it as it was -14C and with breeze it feels like -19C.

I need to find some kind of felt somewhere to make toy mice for them next, they only have three of those left and I would like to make new ones myself or at least attempt to learn. Winter season is boring as running space is so limited, I try to make some more activities available for them.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you cannot find felt - get an old 100% wool sweater from a thrift shop. Wash it with hot water and soap, lots of agitation. Scrub / rub on a scrub board. Rinse well and machine dry on high temperature. Congratulations! You have now made felt.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you cannot find felt - get an old 100% wool sweater from a thrift shop. Wash it with hot water and soap, lots of agitation. Scrub / rub on a scrub board. Rinse well and machine dry on high temperature. Congratulations! You have now made felt.
Thanks, that is very handy information, even it seems I miss machine dryer, scrub board and thrift shop, but you never know what future brings to you :D

There probably is some EU based hobby shops, I have not had chance to look out for them yet, but when I get time for that I will look around.

Living outside of rural dying village has indeed some disadvantages, but modern age online shops save a lot of trouble.

Doctor did ban me from driving and working recently so that limits my options quite bit further, life can be bit funny at times for sure.

Oh, I need to check out how skins are processed, cats sometimes catch some mice kind of creatures with long nose that they don't eat, maybe I could skin one, process the skin and use that to make a toy mouse, realistic smell and feel and for sure hunters do process pelts of other creatures :D

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mouse-like creature with long nose . . . . Here's a picture from Wiki commons. Is this it? If yes, it's a shrew.

Wool felts easily when wet, agitated / handled roughly. Take an old sweater, wool socks, a wool scarf, anything wool. Put it in a pot of hot  water with a little dish detergent. Mash it about vigorously with toilet plunger or a potato masher or wear rubber gloves and mangle it by hand. When the water begins to cool off, drain and add hot water, repeat agitation. When it is felted up to your satisfaction, rinse thoroughly and let dry.

It's fairly easy to preserve a pelt. Processing it to make it flexible is more difficult. And sewing a pelt takes a sharp needle and strong hands.

Thinking about it - felt a wool sock. Make cat toy starting with the toe portion, stuffing with something soft and with a little something crackle-y (like cellophane) and maybe a pinch of catnip should start you off. Then when the cats destroy that toy, work your way up the sock making more. I don't think they will care if it is not mouse shaped, not mouse color.

My boys actually like to chase a wine cork. Lovely excuse for me to drink another bottle of wine . . . .

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mouse-like creature with long nose . . . . Here's a picture from Wiki commons. Is this it? If yes, it's a shrew.

Wool felts easily when wet, agitated / handled roughly. Take an old sweater, wool socks, a wool scarf, anything wool. Put it in a pot of hot  water with a little dish detergent. Mash it about vigorously with toilet plunger or a potato masher or wear rubber gloves and mangle it by hand. When the water begins to cool off, drain and add hot water, repeat agitation. When it is felted up to your satisfaction, rinse thoroughly and let dry.

It's fairly easy to preserve a pelt. Processing it to make it flexible is more difficult. And sewing a pelt takes a sharp needle and strong hands.

Thinking about it - felt a wool sock. Make cat toy starting with the toe portion, stuffing with something soft and with a little something crackle-y (like cellophane) and maybe a pinch of catnip should start you off. Then when the cats destroy that toy, work your way up the sock making more. I don't think they will care if it is not mouse shaped, not mouse color.

My boys actually like to chase a wine cork. Lovely excuse for me to drink another bottle of wine . . . .
Ah, päästäinen = shrew then :D

My cats seem to like to chase piece of expanding foam that I cut out when cleaning off some bit too much expanded foam, from one of my solar collector projects.

Even shiny candy wrapping tied to end of shoe lace seem to be very interesting toy for them.

When I have put patch over patch of wool socks, I might give a try at making old sock mouse, they have bit of thing for sock juice, seem to affect them same way cat nip does, what a silly creatures them are :D

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've heard that shrew are poisonous. I'm not sure if that's true or not. It could be why the cats don't eat them.

I've looked all through your thread from the beginning. I think you've done a wonderful job with these cats. They all look so content and well cared for.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that shrew are poisonous. I'm not sure if that's true or not. It could be why the cats don't eat them.

I've looked all through your thread from the beginning. I think you've done a wonderful job with these cats. They all look so content and well cared for.

:rub:
At least shrew are smelly, not sure about being poisonous, but either way cats seem to just bat them around with their paws.

All those small critters seem to like to chew holes to insulation, so less there is near the house, better. There are huge areas without human for them to live around here, so I'm sure population of those will never decline even cats do grab one now and then.

Thanks from your comments, they surely have come a long way.

They have also learned comforts of indoors, it has been now colder and they really don't like to spend too long at outdoors, surely they want to go outdoors, but it is only briefly as cold starts to get into them. They start lifting their paws when feeling cold, so then it is better command them back indoors despite sometimes they are bit of two minds from that, their urge to explore is so great that frozen paws are something they try to tolerate.

When I get outdoor cat house ready it should be bit better for them as they can heat their paws there. Surely they have one warm house inside the warehouse, but I think they would like to have one where they can see what is happening on yard.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been in process of building sort of cat cabin / house for them to get in and warm their paws, it has elevated floor at back portition and has some insulation material which feels warm to touch even at sub zero temperatures.

For a door I cut small hole quite low down, so that when someone is warming at elevated section wind would not blow directly to him.

I made doorway to be around 5 inch in size, it does look bit small when I look my cats, also they just look doorway, but don't attempt to get in, now I'm thinking if I made doorway bit small, but then again, what I have read is that size of head counts and that most can get from that size and smaller hole. I also did read that racoons can get trough 4 inch hole, so I would guess that areas where those creatures roam they have smaller than 4 inch holes for cats?

It is always exciting to see if they will start using stuff one makes for them :D

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, today evening was not very nice surprise.

I have one toilet with roof at one corner of the room, there is cardboard castle quite near and there is small carpet piece under it to make it comfy.

Several times I have wondered where that awful smell comes, I have washed toilet and it seem still to come, now I found out that someone had made wet poo inside of cardboard castle, but it was so covered in carpet that smell did came really out only when I pulled out the carpet, what an horrible stink that was :(

I have no idea whom is responsible of that, but I placed camera so that I can see who visits in castle if there is other of such event, also now I can monitor their toileting from camera too, computer records each time one goes to toilet too, no more secrets.

No, I have no plans to install one inside of toilet, that would be too gross and besides they would tear that apart as they attempt to tear walls of toilet apart instead of digging sawdust. Only few of them are such that toilet is too small area for them, they would like to find covering material from much larger area.

Will be interesting to see how they use that toilet, I wonder what kind of intervals there will be for each one, also whom are using that toilet and whom are using other toilets, will there be different toilet for each one of them or are they using random toilets, there really is not knowing at the moment as they are quite stealthy and there is so many of them as there are toilets too.

Maybe I will setup another camera or two for other toilets, it is said that one should keep eye of their toileting habits to know about their health and without recording cameras it is not quite easy, especially when I'm mostly out from the room.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did find out many things with cameras.

Mouku is the one being naughty. It does happen when I have had no chance to visit them early morning, so when other three are still indoors.

He did spent quite long time observing the litter box, then he backed up a bit and decided to poop at front of box. I have placed plastic box lid there to be a kind of mat, which is easy to clean up in case of such event.

Mouku does not use any other boxes, only that one, but only when there is no cover.

I think that I will get some clear plastic boxes and make top entry toilets for them next, maybe then I would get benefit of covered box and still get him to use one properly, then I could put two of those in place of one, maybe other ones will then leave such unused for Mouku.

He is shy huge cat, maybe he is too shy to poop where other ones have pooped, but I guess it is more to do with the fact that I haven't had chance to spend as much time with him as I had before. Multiple reasons I think.

I also did found that Mouku spends most of time eating, I have been wondering of food consumption, they have 2-3 different dryfood and also wet food daily, he seems to like that 3rd dryfood which others are not so keen about, so I did put that to Senses food tower which should make him eat bit less.

It is this one:
http://www.petfooddirect.com/product/52582/Catit-Design-Senses-Food-and-Treat-Maze-for-Cats

I had to place it away from camera range, so I don't know if he has been using that, or if someone else has been using that, but I did notice food has disappeared a bit. It was a meat day for them, so dry food and water was not disappearing at typical rate, 400 grams of meat keeps them happy for a night. Nocturnal creatures so I feed them at evening and they can then feed during the night when they prefer.

At morning three of them goes outdoors hunting, but sometimes only at the day if I have to visit somewhere during the morning. I like to keep bit of watch when they are outside, so it is good to feed them at evening so that they can eat during the night and be all charged up for the hunt at the morning, at evening they come back indoors, works relatively well.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess spring is nearing as even Mauku has started to be bit playful and she even has allowed more of petting lately. She was thought to be 5 at 2010, so this year should be her 9th birthday, but our first meeting was at 2009, when she climbed up vertical wall of the warehouse when we happened to bump to each other.

It has been bit of roller coaster, with all the biting, escaping and recapturing, she probably had not much if at all human contact before, she has been very elusive always, but she kind of tolerates me and also gives lot of slow blinks when I stay far away :D

But she does love to play, not much of chaser type, but she does reach string that swing near to her and she loves that hunt, even she decides not to leave her spot, she is a feral after all and without socializing early on she has difficulties to understand that human, even big, is not really a threat.

So, she keeps her distance, but also enjoys her easy life, nowdays she also likes bit of petting, even a bit when she sees she is being petted at, which is quite bit of improvement for her, but no more than 10 seconds is allowed, then it is either paw with claws or moving away, however I did found her purring after last time I did pet her, she likes, but is just bit afraid, or just not trusting.

I'm not excepting her to be lap cat or anything of such, but I like to at least attempt to show her that petting is nice thing, not sure if it is possible to go much further than that, I think she has set to her ways quite much.

Trouble playing with her is that sometimes other ones are bit too eager and tend to hunt her prey, which means whomever does that will get full claw on beating to top of their head from Mauku and it gets her bit worked out and when she is in that mood she is not much interested in playing.

Her fur is bit odd, looks normal, but feels like dry grass, compared to Panther which is also short haired there is huge difference as Panther's dark brown and black fur is silky smooth, but they all have bit different fur, each one has different 'roughness' to their fur. But also her fur is not very thick but quite soft, so that there are not much resistance in it, where as Panther's fur has clearly some resistance, I guess that Mauku's coat is just bit thinner. That is supported by the fact that I can quite easily get to see her undercoat if I move fur aside. She could use some brushing, but that might end up rather badly, unless I manage to surprise her when she is at deep sleep, which is not happening much.

Not much going on here, boys are visiting outdoors, except for Mouku who get very vocal and demanding even if he is let to stairs and door get closed. I think it was Panther who got mice last time, they did usually caught one or two daily that I can see or hear.

Little iita is same as usual, very noisy, and demanding to be petted, not so keen of being on lap, but sometimes jumps on lap too, loves to play with a string, running and jumping around at full speed, I wonder if she ever grows from that little cat stage onwards though, she is still like a miniature cat, usually she likes to turn upside down when petted and not too keen about belly rubs, what I have figured out is that she would like to be petted from back while she is on her back, but under the chin is fine too :D

She still can't meow, her noise is mostly constant note that changes to kind of blowing into water kind of burling or how that is called. Tiger yowls, no meows from that one either, Panther is closest to meowing I think, or Mouku, but Mouku is not making sounds usually, very rarely he makes out very quiet meow that is almost inaudible.
Probably I am meowing most, as I try to coach them to meow like a cat, but so far Only Mouku has picked something up and he is usually slowest one :D

New toilets seem to be working quite well, just storage boxes with tall sides, those are larger than litter boxes and tall sides keep stuff inside.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that they have been now enough long indoors, so that they think indoors as their home and decided to slowly introduce them to downstairs of the house where they would have access to outdoors as they will.

Three of them are fully social even at outdoors, fourth one just learning how even at outdoors I'm not a threat.

One has now had two days of access to outdoors, that is Mouku, who has sit at cat door and just watched outdoors for now, but today he took few steps to outside too, running quite fast at very low position, he is so shy about his surroundings and when he hears any odd noise he runs back inside, but slowly learning this larger area he has now access to.

Even Mauku has visited downstairs, but she is still too shy to visit even warehouse and yet to visit outdoors, but as others are going back and forth, she will soon realize how this stuff works.

Weather has changed to be quite nice, above freezing so soon it will be a spring time and lot of little mice and other critters to hunt for them.

If I'm successful of relocating them to downstairs during next few months, then it would save me a lot of cat toilet cleaning and perhaps make them all as happy as Miuku is, who has been in incredible good health with access to outdoors.

Next step is to put cat bed to downstairs and also their food bowl, but I think that has to wait few weeks, it is best to introduce changes slowly and better make them additions so they can choose themselves, that way adaptation is a lot faster.

I need to get pics from camera to computer, there is one which shows paw print size difference between iita and Miuku, even both are adults, they have huge difference in paw size.

I'm not 100% about Mauku, this might be still bit too early for her as she has not given her 100% trust to me yet, but also I think that it might be key to make her fully trust to me, access to outdoors has created lot of trust and bonding with others, so it might work with her too.

We have reached a point with Mauku that she does allow me to pet her back, when she is at cat bed, also she has started to be bit vocal when she has some needs, which tells me that she has learned quite a bit and it might be quite close to where she ever will get, so it will be interesting to see if she is now reaching deeper trust and bond or if she becomes more independent, but I think she will be again bit more happy when with this new possibility.

Last evening little iita was so much interested in adventuring that she managed to get herself very much soaked with sudden rain, today she has been really shining of enjoyment of this sunshine and just the yard has been plenty for her adventures. She too spent first few days at warehouse, just looking to yard and my interactions with other ones, today she decided to join in even with some petting, really lot of improvements in few days for her.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, things did not go so well with Mauku, she did fine for two days, she learned how to ask to get indoors, but one day she was not interested of getting outside and I did pet her a bit which she seemed to like, that is last I saw her, as she had access to outdoors she decided to go out and has not visited even on yard ever since.

Maybe she will be fine, it is not horribly cold and she is very well capable of taking care of herself. It is just bit of shame that she chose to disappear instead of bonding stronger which is what other ones have chosen.

Everyone else is very happy and quite content around me, except Mouku who is not quite ready yet, I'm not allowing him to outdoors daily anymore as he did show signs of perhaps disappearing too.

But rest are rolling on their backs and coming for petting etc. Quite well learned to come indoors for night too.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, there has been still no sign of Mauku at all, so I guess that was last time I had chance to pet her before she disappeared.

Mouku has however got very much of lap cat, every time I sit he jumps on lap and demands pettins, he purrs loudly, still one wrong move and he might bolt to hideout, but also I can hug him, I can do almost anything to him, except lifting hand high or move hand quickly, also moving towards him usually makes him spooked, but also it is possible to brush him completely, I can even turn him upside down and give him belly rubs and he just purrs and kneads.

So he is quite tame, but still not quite trusting.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I got a lead from Mauku's location, she might be at old farm where one elderly lady lives alone whom I have helped with firewood making sometimes, not sure if it is her, but will check it out tomorrow.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
So sorry to hear that Mauku is missing. Maybe she has moved to another farm, two of the feral cats I care for seem to have moved to another house this year. I think my house got too crowded for them.

Hope that she is doing OK.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My goodness how things have changed! :clap: And Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!! :rub:

I'm so sorry to hear about Mauku... but it is the season change, and some of my feral cats will wander now. It means no end of worry. I hope that is her! And you never know... she knows she can have whatever she needs there, so she may show up one day, looking as if she never went anywhere. ;) :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news everyone, I did saw her today and for sure it is Mauku and how was she enjoying her new surroundings, she had her belly exposed when enjoying warm sun, her choice of best spot was one large log pile.

Elderly woman that lives alone on that farm, has broken arm so I ended up kind of helping her with daily things as she has nobody else there.