3 Down - 6 To Go

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Finally (after 2 litters were born), my friend agreed to help me trap the feral cats in her neighborhood. We talked to her neighbors and one of them was so grateful for our help she donated $100 to the cause. That'll get 6 cats fixed, ear tipped and vaccinated for rabies!! Woohoo!!

Last night my friend caught 3 cats and 1 is pregnant. They are at the clinic now awaiting their turns for surgery. We'll be picking them up this afternoon and my friend from The Cat Network will help with recovery.

We're pretty sure that one of the other two is female. And I'm thinking the third is male. But I'm super happy we got them. 6 more to go - that we know of.

I want to give thanks to all the education and love for kitties on this site for giving me the knowledge to help my friend and these cats in a humane way.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You get applause!

The world needs more people like you! Great Job!

Best Wishes for you and the ferals!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the support!! And thanks to all of you for having this great site with so much information to help the kitties of the world!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow...that's great!!!
Just be aware of the neon sign that appears whenever cats know they can get a good free meal and be spayed/neutered.

Katie

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

Wow...that's great!!!
Just be aware of the neon sign that appears whenever cats know they can get a good free meal and be spayed/neutered.

Katie
Oh great. Hope cats can't read that sign. hahhaa.

So we got one more cat caught. He's a male Siamese. BEAUTIFUL. He's at the vet's office today for his surgery. AND WE FOUND A BABY! Oh my goodness. He's beautiful. About 5 weeks old. Brown tabby. We don't know who his momma is so we got him and had him checked by the vet. He said the baby looked good. We bought him some food and he ate a bit. Now's he's hanging in the carrier meowing away. I'm guessing he's trying to call his momma. I held him wrapped in a towel for a while - that's how I got him to eat. But he won't stop meowing.

Any suggestions on what I can do to calm him down a little?

Guess he's mine until I can find a home for him in a few weeks time. I shouldn't adopt him out until at least 8 weeks, right??

Thanks!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by merlynn's mom

Any suggestions on what I can do to calm him down a little?

Guess he's mine until I can find a home for him in a few weeks time. I shouldn't adopt him out until at least 8 weeks, right??

Thanks!
Awww...he probably is crying for his mom. I would try to provide him with a surrogate stuffed animal in the meantime.

The minimum age to place him is 8 weeks...but I would recommend holding on until 10 weeks.

Katie

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

Awww...he probably is crying for his mom. I would try to provide him with a surrogate stuffed animal in the meantime.

The minimum age to place him is 8 weeks...but I would recommend holding on until 10 weeks.

Katie
Ok, thanks, Katie. I have a little stuffed animal here at work I put in there for him. He's all snuggled in the towel and is resting still so he seems okay for now.

I'm going to pick up some meds and things from my contact at the Cat Network and will try to hold on to him for the next 5 weeks. That should give me enough time to find him a home. Will he be okay to leave at home all day in a safe room with his carrier? There is no one in the house from 8a-6p. That's a long time. I can probably try to sneak him into work tomorrow and Friday but after that will be tough.

I also have two cats at home. Will they catch anything from this little guy if he is kept in a separate room? Thanks!!!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That should give me enough time to find him a home. Will he be okay to leave at home all day in a safe room with his carrier? There is no one in the house from 8a-6p. That's a long time. I can probably try to sneak him into work tomorrow and Friday but after that will be tough.
As long as he is eating on his own...he should be ok....but you may want to invest in a little scale to weigh him to ensure that he is putting on weight.

As long as you wash your hands between visiting with him and visiting your own cats..you should be fine. When I fostered some kittens, I had separate clothes for when I visited them versus spending time with my own cats.

Katie

houseofcats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you able to get him to the vet and have him checked out? It may be too early to have him tested, but they can see if he has fleas, earmites, etc. If you keep him seperate from the others and make sure you wash your hands etc. it should be fine. We've fostered several litters and we have a household of around 30.

Once he's old enough you would want to have him tested before you adopt out and this will give you peace of mind around your others. Good luck with the little guy!

merlynn's mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. I ended up bringing the little guy in today. He's too cute. He ate very well this morning. And he had two good poos yesterday, along with some little pees. So he's definitely doing well. He was at the vet yesterday morning. The doc gave him a dewormer and checked his ears for mites and his body for fleas. Didn't find either. Ears look pinky clean. I'll be by my friend's later. She's a member of the Cat Network and she'll work with me to get him the meds he needs and do the testing once he's old enough. Yes, I'd like to foster him until he can get tested. Ideally, until he can be neutered.

We played a little this morning and now he's napping in the carrier.

I have a few photos of the cutie, but they are in a PDF and I can't post them.

Maybe later I'll harass my studio to see if they can convert them for me.

Thanks again!