3 days old kitten not nursing, please help..

asmalikd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sister’s cat gave birth three days ago and one of the kittens is way smaller than the other two.. It’s not eating and no matter how we try to urge it, it refuses to suckle any nip. We’re trying bottle feeding with formula and even this is a difficult process, getting it to suck voluntarily is hard and even then it only does so for a few seconds. It also has a habit of arching backwards with its head.
It’s very active and doesn’t cry a lot. We called the vet who gave us an absurd cost for treatment (without guarantee of survival) that we just can’t afford, and instead follow her advice on bottle feeding with the formula.
I’m at my wits end and desperate to know what could cause this? What can I do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

asmalikd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks a lot for the feedback! I just tried it with a syringe and while the kitten still doesn’t /want/ the milk, it swallows it once i carefully drip it in. I’m slightly more optimistic.
Feeding it safely takes a long time but it’s worth it if it just starts growing and takes some of this worry away! 😥 I’ll continue feeding it like this overnight and if it doesn’t improve by tomorrow, I guess I’ll have to take on some more debt to get it checked properly.

asmalikd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is the kitten doing today?
It gained 8 grams since I posted, and has started kneading more! :happycat: Feeding still requires some patience but we’re pulling through,hopefully it can catch up to its siblings soon. It’s been a sleepless night but it’s so worth it.

Here’s a photo so you can get some gist of how small this baby is right now!
8116ADCA-F46B-4B8B-96BA-25975967F402.jpeg

asmalikd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kitty was rejected by its mom today, gonna have to be seperated for a while.. At least we’re making progress on the feeding front, we’re up almost 20 grams. 😽 Gonna be a vet trip tomorrow after all just to make sure there’s no underlying sickness.

So small when you see it close to its siblings, but it sure has the biggest personality.
07DF1E67-FD9E-46EA-83CA-E1066D93778F.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m guessing there are no underlying issues; she’s just a run of the mill runt. Happens frequently. She’ll catch up eventually, especially with your care. You’ve done magnificently with her so far!

Mom cat will accept her eventually. Give it time. This baby clearly wants to make it! 😊

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kitty was rejected by its mom today, gonna have to be seperated for a while.. At least we’re making progress on the feeding front, we’re up almost 20 grams. 😽 Gonna be a vet trip tomorrow after all just to make sure there’s no underlying sickness.

So small when you see it close to its siblings, but it sure has the biggest personality.
20g raise in total after you began handfeeding, or per day?
if per day its good, above average but not unheard of.
But if its in total its just barely a minimum, and she is still deep into the woods.

How much do you manage to get into her every day? Is there any way you can increase?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, she should gain 6-10 grams per day. Do you have a kitchen scale to weigh her? The amount of formula she gets per day is based on her weight. Give me a weight and I’ll calculate it for you. I think we just wanted to get her eating and gaining the first couple of days! 😊

asmalikd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had to study for tonight and passed her over to my mom to feed, it weighed 76 grams on Wednesday, and now mom tells me it weighs 107. Should I be concerned? We’re doing as the vet suggested and feeding it 3-5ml of formula every 2-3 hours. 🤔

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The gains are awesome! Sounds like all is going well. If the kitten wants more, give more. As long as she is gaining weight daily all should be well.