3 days after labor

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it will pass in a couple of days.  A few posters have asked this question and the mom's were fine.  But the experts will be along.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats experience after pains and also frequently breathe heavily or pant for 2-3 days after giving birth and beginning to nurse. Most cats settle down as it's just the body's way of coping with the changes and new demands. Just give her lots of wet food. She needs the nutrition but should be fine.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is fine out of the box
If she is fine out of the box, I think its not real pains.  So sooner stress as you say.

Im wondering if what you see is  the so called fleming, a way to take in smells via mouth, the Jacobsens organ in the roof of mouth...

If you dont know what it is, many people dont pay attention to it, they think the cat is simply a little uneasy, or talking soundlessly...

I myself notice this just a couple of years ago.  I knew some others animals had it, but I wasnt clear cats have it too....

Last edited:

kitty1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat gave birth 3 weeks ago, and for the first few days she was panting and breathing heavy. I even thought she was still having contractions. I asked the vet when I took my male to be neutered and she said it was most likely pain causing it and it happened when she was with the kittens because she was nursing and that stimulated contractions. She said if it went on longer than 4 days to bring her in to be checked. She stopped though and it took her a little while to be back to her cuddly self.