3 day old kitten gasping for breath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emberever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 3 day old kitten who's breathing very hard, labored almost like she's sucking air. I took her to the emergency vet but they said it 3 days old there was nothing they could do. They gave me some formula and a syringe as well as a heating pad, the tell me she's most likely not going to make it. She has a very strong cry. In fact she hasn't stopped crying for about 4 hours or more. I'm so nervous feeding her with a syringe and causing her to aspirate. I ordered the miracle nipple from Amazon but they said it won't be here till Thursday. I don't know what else to do, I can't give up on her

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you stimulated her to make her go potty/poop? There is a very good video with "the Cat Lady" it tells you how to feed and stimulate. For now, you might try some karo syrup or honey on the gums to give her a little strength. Being warm is critical as is being fed every two hours, Gasping is not good, I will pray for that little mite, there are still miracles out there!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emberever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I have stimulated her and she's not peeing very much so I'm worried about her being dehydrated. She doesn't show any sign of wanting to eat so I'm just putting a drop in her mouth every few minutes. I'm watching the kitten lady videos but I haven't seen anything that describes exactly what's going on with her. I have her between a sock full of rice and the heating pad the vet gave, but she still feels cold. I tried to put her inside my sure to keep her warm but she really didn't like that. Despite everything she it's still feisty but I worried that her cry sounds kind of like she may have aspirated

Emberever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The crying is just tearing my heart in two. She hasn't stopped for hours I did everything I could and took her to the emergency vet at 4 in the morning. I don't understand why they didn't try, She's suffering

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m so sorry! Had you been feeding her or does she have a mom? She probably has fluid in her lungs. It’s very painful.

If she has fluid it’s pneumonia. She needs an antibiotic pronto, and it still may be too late. Having her euthanized may be your best course of action at this point.

Emberever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been feeding her. I am thinking euthanasia would be best, but honestly she's taking such a severe turn for the worse in the last 15 minutes but I don't think she's going to make it long enough to get to the vet. I'll be surprised if she makes it another half hour. She had fight in her before but now it seems like she's giving up

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds as though her organs are shutting down. Poor kitten. You did the best you could. Thank you for trying.

Emberever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She finally passed. I appreciate the support and advise. I'm just devastated, that was one of the hardest things I've ever had to watch

happykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry, you did your very best. I lost 3 foster kittens in the past few months and its a terrible feeling. But I let myself cry because the little ones deserve some tears to show that someone cared about them. Cats breed a lot and not all the babies have perfectly functioning organs and systems.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry....please be assured she sensed your presence and felt she was wanted. It will allow her to rest in peace. You tried your hardest and she knew that....RIP precious little one.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry E Emberever It sounds as if you did everything that could be done for her. Sometimes they just don't make it.

:hugs:

We always lock the threads when a cat or kitten passes, so I'll lock this one now. If you would like to start a thread in her memory we have our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Rest in Peace little girl, we are sorry you couldn't stay longer.

:angelcat:

Status
Not open for further replies.