3+ Cats -- Advice from multi-cat households

mama grizzly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello.  I could use some feedback/advice from cat parents that have 3+ cat households.  Right now we have five 8 month old kitties.  They are the litter our pregnant stray had after we took her in.  We are keeping 3. The other two are enrolled in a program that will re-home them. However, I would like to keep another one as well.  He has meowed, "chirped" and purred his way into our hearts.  I'm just not sure it's wise and I don't have any previous cat experience to guide me. 

Here's some background info (I hope I'm not oversharing). One income with a child going to college in a year.  I know I don't need to state the obvious but college is really expensive and I know I'll have to help cover some costs.  I revamped my savings plan so I can better prepare for vet emergencies.  I've also identified some other areas where I can cut back/save if absolutely necessary once my kid starts college. 

Right now I feed one 5oz can of wet food --three times a day and free feed kibble.  I plan to transition to wet food twice a day once they are closer to a year and will continue kibble (not sure if we will continue to free feed)

All on Revolution, shots are up to date and everyone is fixed already.  I can go to a low cost vet/wellness clinic for annual checkups/boosters when the time comes so there will be minimal cost there.  Should I check on pet insurance since I have so many?

I've factored in the cost of litter and they eat good quality food (approx. $1.60 a can). 

What else should I consider before making my final decision?  Are there any problems that are unique to multi-cat families that I may not be aware of? 

I'm fully committed to taking care of my little rascals and I'm not taking this decision lightly.  That's why I'm asking for your input.  I'm appreciative of any feedback, even if it's not what I want to hear.  Thanks so much.

(Just FYI-The program I enrolled them in is a no-kill program with its own facility.  Once the two go to the program's facility, they have a home until they are adopted.  I only have a week or so to decide whether or not to keep him because once he goes into the facility, he is open to anyone to adopt.  With his personality, it probably won't take long.)    

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I have five cats of my own - two 14 year old girls, one young adult female (1-2 years, we think) and two almost-10-month-old kittens. What specifically are you feeding? I think I only bought one or two cases that came out to that much per can! Most of mine are

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. Great questions! 

I only have two cats so I can't say much about the 3+ cat household from experience. We had three cats once when I was growing up and it didn't work well. Our cats weren't crazy about each other though (not a problem I'd expect with litter mates especially with all of them fixed). 

I think mostly it comes down to money and time. I know from experience that college is expensive (still 22,000 in debt right now) and also that cats are expensive. We just found out that our one year old cat is going to need a surgery that will cost us roughly $750 so it isn't just an expense that comes up later in life. I've looked into pet insurance before, but found it relatively unaffordable on the whole. I do suppose it is worth thinking about the potential for vet costs for 4 senior cats later on in life as well.

Do you have any cats other than the kittens that you will keep? Are you keeping the mom also? Basically, how many cats total will it bring you too? Is there space in your house for these cats to really get away from each other of will they be forced to be in each other's space all of the time? Cats like to be able to get away from each other some of the time even if they enjoy each other's company.

Canned food can get expensive fast though of course it is preferred to an all dry diet. I just spent $125 for the food that will feed my two cats two times a day for the next four months. So that's another important thing to consider. 

Time is also important. Do you have the time to dedicate to loving this number of cats and giving them personalized attention each day? 

If you have the time, space, and the money, I don't see a problem with keeping four kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mama grizzly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have five cats of my own - two 14 year old girls, one young adult female (1-2 years, we think) and two almost-10-month-old kittens. What specifically are you feeding? I think I only bought one or two cases that came out to that much per can! Most of mine are <$1 a can. You may want to look into decent-quality cat food that isn't quite as expensive, if you think budget would be a concern.

How many litter boxes do you have, or do you anticipate having? The "rule" is one per cat, plus one extra. I don't follow that for sheer lack of room. I have four litter boxes, although the one is actually a 30-gallon bin, that doubles as a playground for my Penelopy.

Thank you.  Right now I rotate between Merrick (wet and kibble), Soulistic/Weruva, Natural Balance and Primal Freeze-dried raw. Once I transition to feeding them twice a day, I will also add Acana to the rotation. 

We have 3 boxes in the "cat room" and one in the living room.  I'll probably put one in the corner of the breakfast nook because the one in the living room fills up quickly if they spend most of the day in there. 

Welcome to TCS. Great questions! 

I only have two cats so I can't say much about the 3+ cat household from experience. We had three cats once when I was growing up and it didn't work well. Our cats weren't crazy about each other though (not a problem I'd expect with litter mates especially with all of them fixed). 

I think mostly it comes down to money and time. I know from experience that college is expensive (still 22,000 in debt right now) and also that cats are expensive. We just found out that our one year old cat is going to need a surgery that will cost us roughly $750 so it isn't just an expense that comes up later in life. I've looked into pet insurance before, but found it relatively unaffordable on the whole. I do suppose it is worth thinking about the potential for vet costs for 4 senior cats later on in life as well.

Do you have any cats other than the kittens that you will keep? Are you keeping the mom also? Basically, how many cats total will it bring you too? Is there space in your house for these cats to really get away from each other of will they be forced to be in each other's space all of the time? Cats like to be able to get away from each other some of the time even if they enjoy each other's company.

Canned food can get expensive fast though of course it is preferred to an all dry diet. I just spent $125 for the food that will feed my two cats two times a day for the next four months. So that's another important thing to consider. 

Time is also important. Do you have the time to dedicate to loving this number of cats and giving them personalized attention each day? 

If you have the time, space, and the money, I don't see a problem with keeping four kittens
Thank you for your feedback.  They get along well.  Sometimes Koa (my big boy) will try to remind everyone he's the Alpha.  The boys will submit but the girls just play along until they get tired of it.  Then they chase him off.  Lelani and Lessie are petite calico tabbies but they can hold their own against the boys. 

We will only keep 4, at the most.  These are our only kitties.  I was able to rehome Mama Cat a few months ago so we just have the 5 from her litter here now.  They have access to all the common areas of the house when we're out.  I always open my bedroom door when I get home so they can come in there if they'd like.  I just don't leave it open all day because I don't want them in my bathroom unsupervised. (They know how to get in my bathroom rather easily)  I think they have enough room to spread out.  Will they need more as they get older? 

You're right.  I do need to consider the amount of time it takes to properly care for and give personalized quality attention to four cats.  Thank you for reminding me that my decision shouldn't just be based on $$$.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are to be commended for your loyalty to these kittens!!

I don't currently have multiple cats, but grew up with as many as 5 in the house at once. I agree that cats need to be able to "get away " (J just like human siblings lol). Do you have a sturdy cat condo ( or two?) So they can leap away when they want to, or when they're playing? I've seen some pictures here at TCS of some homemade ones using old dresser drawers, so if you have access to a wood shop, you've got a leg up for sure!

Just like everyone says, make sure they are completely vaccinated because if you think one sick cat is bad, try 5. [emoji]128533[/emoji]

Your food choices look great! I was given some great advice here once about combo dry/wet feedings: if you combine these types, you're better off making sure the dry kibble is high quality rather than the other way around. By the way, check out Whole Earth Farms. You can save about 50¢ per 5 oz can over Merrick, and it's made by Merrick with nearly identical ingredients. And oddly my cat prefers it to Merrick. Tractor Supply also makes a grain free (4Health brand) which is 59¢ a can. Ingredients look good (really), but if you're going to try to switch, I'd switch over early to let their taste buds acclimate before they get good and picky lol. I think that brand also comes in dry.

I've never used it, but am told Natures Variety Instinct (specifically) comes in 13 oz cans, labeled dog food but has taurine and other stuff that makes it suitable for cats. This might be really good if it pans out as that truly could save you a lot of money.

Remembering life with 5 cats, all I can say is cats need human one on one companionship too, and my memory is that we had one cat who I wish we had rehomed with another family member, just because he was always kind of the last cat to get attention, and while he was loved, did well, and lived to 16, he would have thrived as an only cat, the more I think about it. But I know how they wiggle their way into our hearts. [emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️

Last edited:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thing I thought of, it might be better to let the two go together to be rehomed. One kitten going alone might be more scared and upset in this situation. It would be good if the two could go as a pair. Just another perspective.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Currently we have six cats, three seniors and three younger cats.

At one time, we were up to eight cats in the house. That was 20 years ago, when we took in a neighbor's cat, who turned out to be pregnant. She had five kittens and there we were, with Whisper and her five babies, Hydrox the Old Coot, and Banshee, our RugCat Queen. We had the kittens spayed and/or de-balled when they got older. We kept three of them: Spike, BooBoo, and Ms. Pepe and found homes for the other two girls. Spike died of pneumonia about a week before the kittens' first birthday. BooBoo and Ms. Pepe just turned 20 years old back in February. A few years ago, we took in a wee kitten (Tabby) that our neighbors found and then my mother's cat (Muffin), when Mom went into a nursing home; that took us back up to eight cats. Since then, Whisper passed away, followed soon after by her sister. And now we're back to six cats (and a beagle, but that's another story). Most of our time has been spent with six cats in the house and, for the most part, we feel comfortable with six. I really wouldn't want to go any more than that.

It can be a hassle with vet bills at times. The three senior cats -- BooBoo, Ms. Pepe, and Amber Louise -- go to the vet every six months (BooBoo more like every 3 months as he has some asthma and sinus problems) for geriatric check-ups, just to make sure everything is OK with them. The other three go once a year, unless we notice something funky with one of them. If one cat comes down with a tummy problem with puking or diarrhea, there's a good chance that whatever it is will work its way through the rest of the clan, so we stock up on Clavamox or Amoxi. Vet bills can be a hassle and there's no getting around them. We do not have pet insurance; I don't know, we talked about it, but never really bothered with it.

We did all the kitten shots, but once they were done with, we were done with all shots, except for the rabies vaccine. I don't let them have any other vaccines at all and it's in their charts they are to have no vaccines other than rabies. And if it's wasn't the law in PA, I wouldn't even do the rabies vaccine. That is just my opinion, though; I worry too much about feline sarcoma to deal with vaccines. And I'm not really sure all vaccines are needed as often as what some vets say they are. Again, that's just my opinion.

We have found that six litter boxes work out well for the clan, BUT scooping is imperative. I scoop twice a day, sometimes three times if there's something going on with diarrhea or whatever or if they're using one box more frequently. The kids like clean boxes and I have some cats who prefer peeing in one box and pooping in another. We have both lidded litter boxes and boxes without lids; some cats don't mind lids, others will not go into a lidded box. We have both scoopable and regular clay litter; some like one and some like the other.

The clan eats four cans of Friskies Buffet pate every day. They each get 1/3 of a can for breakfast (2 cans) and another 1/3 of a can for supper (2 cans). In between they get a lunch of dry kibble and several snacks when I'm home to give it to them. We do not free feed kibble. We have a couple cats who will eat until they puke and we also have a cat who will eat and eat and eat until she bursts, if she's able. Plus, we have the beagle who will go around and eat everything in sight. Free-feeding just isn't a good thing around here....it's pretty much futile with Jackie (the beagle) in the house. Some people don't like Friskies Buffet, but I've been using it for decades with no problems.

Toys. Lots and lots of toys. Little meeces for them to attack, Da Bird is a great interactive toy. So is the red laser light. Little balls that roll around all over the floor (and get lost under the couch). BooBoo used to chase a ball around the kitchen at 2:00 in the morning, then when it went under the stove, he'd come back to the bedroom and meow, meow til I got out of bed and fished the ball back out with a yardstick, so he could play some more. Tabby loves the little meeces and we'll hear her yelling at her meece down the steps at midnight...she also likes to bring her meece to us when we're eating dinner; she will actually jump up on the table with the meece in her mouth and drop it down between the two of us. We say "Thank you!" and she picks it back up and takes off again. A good, sturdy cat tree (if you have the room for it) is wonderful for the cats, preferably in front of a window. Make sure it has lots of perches and little hidey holes. Our cat tree "sits" five cats at a time and I have pictures of five of them in the tree. Baskets and pillows for sleeping. One of their favorite sleeping spots is nothing more than a large wicker clothes basket with a queen-size pillow inside, wrapped in a flannel pillow case. It's in the living room next to the heating register. We used to have as many as four cats cuddle up together in the basket, esp during the winter when the basket was nice and cosy for them. We have stands/tables at windows with queen-sized pillows on them, just perfect for a cat to look out the window and chitter at the birds and bunnies and then curl up for a nap.

Our house is small and, with the clan we have now, I know that some of the cats would prefer more alone time. Molli spends a lot of her time sleeping on the kitty couch in the bedroom; that's her spot and nobody bothers her there. Or she'll jump into the catnapper at the bedroom window and nap there. Tabby likes the rocking chair in the computer room and she'll nap back there for hours. Muffin stays in her stroller for naps. And so on. It's hard for a cat to really find privacy and, for our cats years ago, it didn't matter as most of the time, they'd all cuddle together anyway. These cats don't cuddle together at all; they're more independent, which makes it harder for them to find a place of their own.

As for human companionship, it's vital to their well-being: I really do believe that. We sit on the couch and we've got cats all over us. We go to bed and the cats go, too. Heck, I don't even go to the bathroom by myself. (I used to take a shower with Banshee sitting on the corner of the tub, peeking in behind the shower curtain; she'd talk to me while I showered.) While they don't cuddle with themselves, they do cuddle with us. After being alone all day, they need some companionship, they need some cuddles, they need to know that we love them. People say cats don't care, but I don't believe that. While cats might be able to be left alone easier than a dog can be, they still need to know that we're there for them. 

What would happen to your cats if anything happened to you? Where would they go? Is there anybody who would be willing to take on the responsibility for their care if you passed away? I know it's morbid to think about it. It's also important. My sister has agreed to take our cats and we have it stipulated in our will that she is to get them. We have money set aside for their care.....you can't expect somebody to take on four cats and not have the money to care for them.

If you could possibly find a good person who'd be willing to take two of your cats, that would be better than just taking one. I kind of agree with NewYork1303 in that letting two of the kids go together would be easier on them than making one go off alone. But if you just take them to a shelter, there's no guarantee that the two of them would get homed together anyway. 

I apologize for the book and I realize this is way more than you wanted to know. But we've lived with a clan for decades now, even though, the clan doesn't have the same family members as it used to, and so we've learned a few things along the way. Much of this is simply trial and error and, believe me, we made a lot of mistakes along the way!

sweetdz99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 9 cats.  1 senior (20 yr old), 5 siblings from a stray (4 yrs old), 1 orphaned we bottle fed (2 years old), 2 orphaned siblings (1 yr old).   We had 12 at one time but  I was able to find a home for 2 of the orphaned 1 yr old siblings (there were 4 total) and 1 senior (19 yr old) passed away last year 

I am a single mother, she is 21 and going to community college.   My parents moved in with us 3 years ago along with my handicapped brother.  They are retired/disabled and get financial aid.  Some of their money helps me most goes to their own medical and living expenses.  All the kitties are on either advantage or revolution.  The orphaned ones are on revolution.  All are inside only cats, except when we take them for walks on their harnesses, which they love.

FOOD

They eat Kit N' Kaboodle ( I buy the really large bag) and Fancy Feasts, occasionally I buy other food for them but mostly Fancy Feasts.  It is about  40 every other week give or take depending on what they eat.  They are fed twice a day with  2 cans fancy feast different flavors and one plate of fancy feast fish and shrimp.  They get fish and shrimp all day long.  When the plate is empty, they get another can.  2 large bowls of dry food are always available. 2 large water bowls and 1 electric fountain (medium sized) water bowl and every night they get a handful of treats.  

I researched pet insurance when I only had two cats, but it just didn't seem like a good deal unless they were sick a lot and mine weren't at the time.

TOYS

There are toys everywhere.  Mice, the little round thing with the balls they can never get out, crinkle mats, pet beds (4) a large kitty tower, balls, string on a stick,  A must is to have something that will keep them entertained and also give them exercise.  One of mine needs to be played with constantly or he hunts the others.  

LITTER BOX

We have only one.  But it isn't a typical litter box.  It is a storage box.  Like the kind they sell at Christmas to store things in.  The walls are lower a little and they kick out litter at times but it works for us. Underneath the box we pee pee pads because my senior kitty sometimes misses.  It is cleaned numerous times a day because I am lucky, my father is home and does it.

MISC

Our house is small too and they are everywhere.  They sleep everywhere.   They are all mostly long hair so keeping the hair at bay is the hardest part.  

Companionship can not be beat.  They love you back unconditionally, no matter what people say about cats.  Cats have feelings.

Vacation a lot?   Make sure you have someone that will care for them when you are away.

When one gets sick, it does get a little more stressful since they require more attention than normal and the others want your attention too.

I wouldn't change anything about sharing my space with any of my cats.  If i could change anything tho, it would be to have a bigger house!   

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mama grizzly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are to be commended for your loyalty to these kittens!!

I don't currently have multiple cats, but grew up with as many as 5 in the house at once. I agree that cats need to be able to "get away " (J just like human siblings lol). Do you have a sturdy cat condo ( or two?) So they can leap away when they want to, or when they're playing? I've seen some pictures here at TCS of some homemade ones using old dresser drawers, so if you have access to a wood shop, you've got a leg up for sure!

Just like everyone says, make sure they are completely vaccinated because if you think one sick cat is bad, try 5. [emoji]128533[/emoji]

Your food choices look great! I was given some great advice here once about combo dry/wet feedings: if you combine these types, you're better off making sure the dry kibble is high quality rather than the other way around. By the way, check out Whole Earth Farms. You can save about 50¢ per 5 oz can over Merrick, and it's made by Merrick with nearly identical ingredients. And oddly my cat prefers it to Merrick. Tractor Supply also makes a grain free (4Health brand) which is 59¢ a can. Ingredients look good (really), but if you're going to try to switch, I'd switch over early to let their taste buds acclimate before they get good and picky lol. I think that brand also comes in dry.

I've never used it, but am told Natures Variety Instinct (specifically) comes in 13 oz cans, labeled dog food but has taurine and other stuff that makes it suitable for cats. This might be really good if it pans out as that truly could save you a lot of money.

Remembering life with 5 cats, all I can say is cats need human one on one companionship too, and my memory is that we had one cat who I wish we had rehomed with another family member, just because he was always kind of the last cat to get attention, and while he was loved, did well, and lived to 16, he would have thrived as an only cat, the more I think about it. But I know how they wiggle their way into our hearts. [emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️
Thanks for the feedback misterwhiskers. We do have a cat tree/condo but I plan on adding another one too.  It was in the living room but I had to move it due to a leak.  Now it's in the cat room and they like to jump on it then to the piano and run across the top of the piano.  I also want to add some more hiding/napping places.  I will check out Whole Earth Farms.  I haven't seen 4Health cat food at any of the pet stores in my area so I'll look for it online. 

Another thing I thought of, it might be better to let the two go together to be rehomed. One kitten going alone might be more scared and upset in this situation. It would be good if the two could go as a pair. Just another perspective.
I thought of that too and I can suggest it to the adoptions manager.  Ultimately though, they have final say.  Lessie is a princess and deserves to be spoiled rotten.  I think she would do well as an only cat because she loves attention and is more of a lapcat than any of the others. 

Currently we have six cats, three seniors and three younger cats.

At one time, we were up to eight cats in the house. That was 20 years ago, when we took in a neighbor's cat, who turned out to be pregnant. She had five kittens and there we were, with Whisper and her five babies, Hydrox the Old Coot, and Banshee, our RugCat Queen. We had the kittens spayed and/or de-balled when they got older. We kept three of them: Spike, BooBoo, and Ms. Pepe and found homes for the other two girls. Spike died of pneumonia about a week before the kittens' first birthday. BooBoo and Ms. Pepe just turned 20 years old back in February. A few years ago, we took in a wee kitten (Tabby) that our neighbors found and then my mother's cat (Muffin), when Mom went into a nursing home; that took us back up to eight cats. Since then, Whisper passed away, followed soon after by her sister. And now we're back to six cats (and a beagle, but that's another story). Most of our time has been spent with six cats in the house and, for the most part, we feel comfortable with six. I really wouldn't want to go any more than that.

It can be a hassle with vet bills at times. The three senior cats -- BooBoo, Ms. Pepe, and Amber Louise -- go to the vet every six months (BooBoo more like every 3 months as he has some asthma and sinus problems) for geriatric check-ups, just to make sure everything is OK with them. The other three go once a year, unless we notice something funky with one of them. If one cat comes down with a tummy problem with puking or diarrhea, there's a good chance that whatever it is will work its way through the rest of the clan, so we stock up on Clavamox or Amoxi. Vet bills can be a hassle and there's no getting around them. We do not have pet insurance; I don't know, we talked about it, but never really bothered with it.

We did all the kitten shots, but once they were done with, we were done with all shots, except for the rabies vaccine. I don't let them have any other vaccines at all and it's in their charts they are to have no vaccines other than rabies. And if it's wasn't the law in PA, I wouldn't even do the rabies vaccine. That is just my opinion, though; I worry too much about feline sarcoma to deal with vaccines. And I'm not really sure all vaccines are needed as often as what some vets say they are. Again, that's just my opinion.

We have found that six litter boxes work out well for the clan, BUT scooping is imperative. I scoop twice a day, sometimes three times if there's something going on with diarrhea or whatever or if they're using one box more frequently. The kids like clean boxes and I have some cats who prefer peeing in one box and pooping in another. We have both lidded litter boxes and boxes without lids; some cats don't mind lids, others will not go into a lidded box. We have both scoopable and regular clay litter; some like one and some like the other.

The clan eats four cans of Friskies Buffet pate every day. They each get 1/3 of a can for breakfast (2 cans) and another 1/3 of a can for supper (2 cans). In between they get a lunch of dry kibble and several snacks when I'm home to give it to them. We do not free feed kibble. We have a couple cats who will eat until they puke and we also have a cat who will eat and eat and eat until she bursts, if she's able. Plus, we have the beagle who will go around and eat everything in sight. Free-feeding just isn't a good thing around here....it's pretty much futile with Jackie (the beagle) in the house. Some people don't like Friskies Buffet, but I've been using it for decades with no problems.

Toys. Lots and lots of toys. Little meeces for them to attack, Da Bird is a great interactive toy. So is the red laser light. Little balls that roll around all over the floor (and get lost under the couch). BooBoo used to chase a ball around the kitchen at 2:00 in the morning, then when it went under the stove, he'd come back to the bedroom and meow, meow til I got out of bed and fished the ball back out with a yardstick, so he could play some more. Tabby loves the little meeces and we'll hear her yelling at her meece down the steps at midnight...she also likes to bring her meece to us when we're eating dinner; she will actually jump up on the table with the meece in her mouth and drop it down between the two of us. We say "Thank you!" and she picks it back up and takes off again. A good, sturdy cat tree (if you have the room for it) is wonderful for the cats, preferably in front of a window. Make sure it has lots of perches and little hidey holes. Our cat tree "sits" five cats at a time and I have pictures of five of them in the tree. Baskets and pillows for sleeping. One of their favorite sleeping spots is nothing more than a large wicker clothes basket with a queen-size pillow inside, wrapped in a flannel pillow case. It's in the living room next to the heating register. We used to have as many as four cats cuddle up together in the basket, esp during the winter when the basket was nice and cosy for them. We have stands/tables at windows with queen-sized pillows on them, just perfect for a cat to look out the window and chitter at the birds and bunnies and then curl up for a nap.

Our house is small and, with the clan we have now, I know that some of the cats would prefer more alone time. Molli spends a lot of her time sleeping on the kitty couch in the bedroom; that's her spot and nobody bothers her there. Or she'll jump into the catnapper at the bedroom window and nap there. Tabby likes the rocking chair in the computer room and she'll nap back there for hours. Muffin stays in her stroller for naps. And so on. It's hard for a cat to really find privacy and, for our cats years ago, it didn't matter as most of the time, they'd all cuddle together anyway. These cats don't cuddle together at all; they're more independent, which makes it harder for them to find a place of their own.

As for human companionship, it's vital to their well-being: I really do believe that. We sit on the couch and we've got cats all over us. We go to bed and the cats go, too. Heck, I don't even go to the bathroom by myself. (I used to take a shower with Banshee sitting on the corner of the tub, peeking in behind the shower curtain; she'd talk to me while I showered.) While they don't cuddle with themselves, they do cuddle with us. After being alone all day, they need some companionship, they need some cuddles, they need to know that we love them. People say cats don't care, but I don't believe that. While cats might be able to be left alone easier than a dog can be, they still need to know that we're there for them. 

What would happen to your cats if anything happened to you? Where would they go? Is there anybody who would be willing to take on the responsibility for their care if you passed away? I know it's morbid to think about it. It's also important. My sister has agreed to take our cats and we have it stipulated in our will that she is to get them. We have money set aside for their care.....you can't expect somebody to take on four cats and not have the money to care for them.

If you could possibly find a good person who'd be willing to take two of your cats, that would be better than just taking one. I kind of agree with NewYork1303 in that letting two of the kids go together would be easier on them than making one go off alone. But if you just take them to a shelter, there's no guarantee that the two of them would get homed together anyway. 

I apologize for the book and I realize this is way more than you wanted to know. But we've lived with a clan for decades now, even though, the clan doesn't have the same family members as it used to, and so we've learned a few things along the way. Much of this is simply trial and error and, believe me, we made a lot of mistakes along the way!
Winchester, thank you for the "book" and sharing your experiences with me.  You also brought up the excellent point of what would happen to them if something happened to me. I will make sure I have a plan for them just like I have one for my teen.  The wicker basket with the pillow is a great idea.  I'm going to see if my kitties will like that. 

I have 9 cats.  1 senior (20 yr old), 5 siblings from a stray (4 yrs old), 1 orphaned we bottle fed (2 years old), 2 orphaned siblings (1 yr old).   We had 12 at one time but  I was able to find a home for 2 of the orphaned 1 yr old siblings (there were 4 total) and 1 senior (19 yr old) passed away last year 

I am a single mother, she is 21 and going to community college.   My parents moved in with us 3 years ago along with my handicapped brother.  They are retired/disabled and get financial aid.  Some of their money helps me most goes to their own medical and living expenses.  All the kitties are on either advantage or revolution.  The orphaned ones are on revolution.  All are inside only cats, except when we take them for walks on their harnesses, which they love.

FOOD

They eat Kit N' Kaboodle ( I buy the really large bag) and Fancy Feasts, occasionally I buy other food for them but mostly Fancy Feasts.  It is about  40 every other week give or take depending on what they eat.  They are fed twice a day with  2 cans fancy feast different flavors and one plate of fancy feast fish and shrimp.  They get fish and shrimp all day long.  When the plate is empty, they get another can.  2 large bowls of dry food are always available. 2 large water bowls and 1 electric fountain (medium sized) water bowl and every night they get a handful of treats.  

I researched pet insurance when I only had two cats, but it just didn't seem like a good deal unless they were sick a lot and mine weren't at the time.

TOYS

There are toys everywhere.  Mice, the little round thing with the balls they can never get out, crinkle mats, pet beds (4) a large kitty tower, balls, string on a stick,  A must is to have something that will keep them entertained and also give them exercise.  One of mine needs to be played with constantly or he hunts the others.  

LITTER BOX

We have only one.  But it isn't a typical litter box.  It is a storage box.  Like the kind they sell at Christmas to store things in.  The walls are lower a little and they kick out litter at times but it works for us. Underneath the box we pee pee pads because my senior kitty sometimes misses.  It is cleaned numerous times a day because I am lucky, my father is home and does it.

MISC

Our house is small too and they are everywhere.  They sleep everywhere.   They are all mostly long hair so keeping the hair at bay is the hardest part.  

Companionship can not be beat.  They love you back unconditionally, no matter what people say about cats.  Cats have feelings.

Vacation a lot?   Make sure you have someone that will care for them when you are away.

When one gets sick, it does get a little more stressful since they require more attention than normal and the others want your attention too.

I wouldn't change anything about sharing my space with any of my cats.  If i could change anything tho, it would be to have a bigger house!   
Thank you sweetdz99.  I'm sorry for your loss.  Wow! Between cats and family you really have a full plate.  We're always looking to add toys to the collection.  I've stepped on a few balls and had to trash them and we are forever finding stuff under the sofa or behind the piano.  I'm fighting a losing battle with cat hair too.  Since I like a house that looks lived in (vs a model home, where everything is spotless and perfectly in place) , I try not to get too worked up about it.  

Thanks again everybody for sharing advice, experiences and helping me think this through.  

sweetdz99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Overflowing plate at the moment..  7 cats withURIs ... UGH.  Only 3 on antibiotics.  Everyone is on Lysine and only one needs steam treatment.. I think we are doing okay :)   You are very welcome... Good Luck with your decision!