3.5 weeks old kitten with serious constipation

simpleisbeauty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I received two orphaned kittens from a friend three weeks ago. The kittens were only a few days old and both of them had serious cat flu, one hasn't been able to defecate last two weeks. He could eat, sleep and pee normally. He was taken to the vet and received enemas almost everyday. He was given lactulose with no shown improvement.

The vet said that it's quite possible that a section of the colon is enlarged so the poo goes in the extra space instead of going out. No surgery can be done before 6 months old so I'm quite frustrated. My husband and I both have to work full day and won't have much time to take him to the vet. Are there any other options or do I have to learn to do enema on him every night? Any suggestions would be of great help, thanks!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're vet is talking about a condition called megacolon which is unusual in a kitten but is possible.  I have only tried Miralax so I know nothing about lactulose.  I know several people who have tried both say the Miralax works better.  It's a tasteless powder that can be given with food twice a day.  With adult cats that are very prone to constipation the usual starter dose is 1/4 teaspoon twice a day and adjust the dosage to find the right amount.  I'm not sure with a kitten though, I would ask your vet about the dosage.

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't know kittens could get constipation.    What is he eating?   Feed him wet.  Pumpkin also helps. 

I wish you luck.  Poor baby. Talk to your vet more. 

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I received two orphaned kittens from a friend three weeks ago. The kittens were only a few days old and both of them had serious cat flu, one hasn't been able to defecate last two weeks. He could eat, sleep and pee normally. He was taken to the vet and received enemas almost everyday. He was given lactulose with no shown improvement.

The vet said that it's quite possible that a section of the colon is enlarged so the poo goes in the extra space instead of going out. No surgery can be done before 6 months old so I'm quite frustrated. My husband and I both have to work full day and won't have much time to take him to the vet. Are there any other options or do I have to learn to do enema on him every night? Any suggestions would be of great help, thanks!
An ultrasound would show where all the poop is......