3.5 Month Old And 9 Weeks Old Kittens

Animagus

A cat is a lion in a jungle of small bushes
Young Cat
Purraise
We first got Jupiter two weeks back and he is 3.5 months now. We got 9 week old Watson last week and slowly introduced them to each other. After the initial hissing, swiping and growling, they now play together happily and it is very cute to watch.
Jupiter was a very vocal, shy and sweet kitten when we got him. He is still very sweet and has come out of his shell a bit more since Watson's been around. However, he doesn't 'talk' as much anymore. He's got conjunctivitis and is a bit upset about the medication and irritation in his eyes, so that could be it. But I also realize that Watson is a very bold kitty and is quite vocal. If he sees us carrying or petting Jupiter, he'd be there asking to be picked up or petted immediately. Watson has no problem eating but Jupiter is a finicky eater. I'm worried if Watson's personality is overshadowing Jupiter's. Also, Jupiter wanted to groom Watson and cuddle together but while Watson will play with Jupes happily enough, he says no thanks to being groomed or to sleeping together unless it is on us hoomans! I could see that Jupiter felt sad about it. Is there something we can do to help Watson be more loving to Jupiter?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Both kittens are still young, particularly Watson, and their personalities will probably continue to change as they get older. Plus, as you mentioned, Jupiter is still new to your home, plus now he's got conjunctivitis, and is dealing with the "new kid". I'd suggest just keeping an eye on them, and giving them both all the love and attention you can.

Here's a couple articles that might be helpful:

9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

Plus:
Cats As Individuals
The Multi-cat Household

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animagus

Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your advice and the articles, they're helpful.

Animagus

Young Cat
Purraise
Both kittens are still young, particularly Watson, and their personalities will probably continue to change as they get older. Plus, as you mentioned, Jupiter is still new to your home, plus now he's got conjunctivitis, and is dealing with the "new kid". I'd suggest just keeping an eye on them, and giving them both all the love and attention you can.

Here's a couple articles that might be helpful:

9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

Plus:
Cats As Individuals
The Multi-cat Household
Jupiter has been eating very little and is lethargic since he got the conjunctivitis, is this normal? How can I get him to eat more? Or should I let him be till he heals fully? We've been applying the prescribed ointment regularly and it seems to be on the mend.
Should we try to get him to play more so he develops an appetite even if he seems disinterested?
Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If he is not eating well he may not be drinking well either and dehydration is also dangerous. Cats sense of smell activate their appetite. The conjuntivitis may be causing some swelling in hirs nasal passage so he doesn't feel as hungry.

As rubysmama rubysmama said contact your vet. Pinch up the scruff on the back of his neck. If it pops back down he's not dehydrated. If it take more than a second or two let your vet know that. Take him into the closed bathroom and run the hot water. The stream will help him.

The one food that none of my seniors or sick cats ever turned down was Fancy Feast beef pate with the brown label. Meat flavored baby food with no onion or garlic may also get him eating. I use Gerber stage 2 to give medicine but my Yoshi who'll eat anything won't eat the beef.

I hope your little one feels better.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention the sleeping thing. My boys were 7 and 18 mts when they met. Yoshi, the older one, Loved to play with Sqeeker but didn't want to cuddle to sleep. Sqeeker quickly learn to wait until Yoshi was asleep to cuddle next to him and Yoshi would pull him in to cuddle and sleep.

Animagus

Young Cat
Purraise

Animagus

Young Cat
Purraise
If he is not eating well he may not be drinking well either and dehydration is also dangerous. Cats sense of smell activate their appetite. The conjuntivitis may be causing some swelling in hirs nasal passage so he doesn't feel as hungry.

As rubysmama rubysmama said contact your vet. Pinch up the scruff on the back of his neck. If it pops back down he's not dehydrated. If it take more than a second or two let your vet know that. Take him into the closed bathroom and run the hot water. The stream will help him.

The one food that none of my seniors or sick cats ever turned down was Fancy Feast beef pate with the brown label. Meat flavored baby food with no onion or garlic may also get him eating. I use Gerber stage 2 to give medicine but my Yoshi who'll eat anything won't eat the beef.

Thank you, I'll try the fancy feast beef and/or liver and if he doesn't eat it, will try the baby food. He has been drinking water and I did the scruff of neck test and seems ok, so relieved.
He had vomiting when we first got him and already had the hospital give him intravenous fluids to keep him hydrated. Poor guy's been having a rough start. I don't know much of his background as I suspect the shelter had him for barely a day or two before I adopted him and he was listed as 10 weeks old when he was in fact 12-13 weeks and the organization sent us his papers only after a week or so. He was a very loud kitty and that may be why he was given up. I do know that he was sent from New York city to a New Jersey shelter which would have been a rough 1.5 to 2 hr drive at the least. His initial vaccinations were done in a NYC veterinary clinic.

Animagus

Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention the sleeping thing. My boys were 7 and 18 mts when they met. Yoshi, the older one, Loved to play with Sqeeker but didn't want to cuddle to sleep. Sqeeker quickly learn to wait until Yoshi was asleep to cuddle next to him and Yoshi would pull him in to cuddle and sleep.
Sqeeker is an unusual name and a smart kitty haha. Hope Jupiter learns to do the same with Watson! :D

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, he did! Sqeeker is a very nervous and vocal cat even after 8 yrs. When he first came home if you glanced in his direction he said "EEK" and ran away. So Sqeeker instead of Squeaker.

Animagus

Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, he did! Sqeeker is a very nervous and vocal cat even after 8 yrs. When he first came home if you glanced in his direction he said "EEK" and ran away. So Sqeeker instead of Squeaker.
Looks like he actively contributed to his name :) His sounds like Jupiter's temperament! I'm so glad both of them have their cuddle friends, albeit unwilling!! :p

Animagus

Young Cat
Purraise

I gave him Fancy Feast liver & beef and he ate some. Then I mixed it in with Kitten food to entice him and now he eats 'Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition Kitten Instinctive Thin Slices In Gravy Wet Cat Food', no problem!! So happy to see him look forward to meal times and he's not as lethargic anymore. Thank you for the idea :)

Attachments

Animagus

Young Cat
Purraise
Awww... such a cutie pie. :catlove: So glad he's eating. Kitten food is good, since its, well, for growing kittens, and has more protein, fats, etc. than adult cat food.

What Is the Difference between Kitten & Cat Food?
I don't want to sound like an over anxious mommy but the kitten food I'm feeding both Jupiter (3.5m) and Watson (2m) says it is for 4 months and older. Both seem to like it a lot and I see their bowls wiped clean for the first time since they've been home. They like that it has chunks in it.
I did see that there is another can for 0-4 month olds but it seems to be a soft mousse. Should I get that one for Watson or is the current kitten food fine? They do eat from each other's plates randomly though Jupiter tends to finish his own plate first.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not sure. Maybe it has something to do with the number of teeth a kitten has at different ages.

Perhaps you can start a new thread in our Cat Nutrition forum.

BTW, I understand being an "over anxious mommy". Ruby is 7 or 8 years old, and I still worry about her. :catrub:

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise