3-4 week kittens. Weight loss

Roman9682

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone,
My kittens are 3 and a half weeks old now. There were 5 kittens to start off with but unfortunately lost one kitten at a week old so now I panic over everything.
One of the kittens (she's called Blue) must have been the true runt of the litter as she is smaller than the others and weight is smaller too.
She has been gaining weight up until this week.
Tuesday was 352g
Wednesday 353g
Thursday 357g
Today 350g

She is very active, cuddles and plays with her brothers and sister and seems very alert. I called the vet and they said they aren't overly worried because she's quite active but since losing a kitten I can't help but worry.
Should I not be overly worried? Will she need extra feeding even though I see she feeds well and is very active?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hey everyone,
My kittens are 3 and a half weeks old now. There were 5 kittens to start off with but unfortunately lost one kitten at a week old so now I panic over everything.
One of the kittens (she's called Blue) must have been the true runt of the litter as she is smaller than the others and weight is smaller too.
She has been gaining weight up until this week.
Tuesday was 352g
Wednesday 353g
Thursday 357g
Today 350g

She is very active, cuddles and plays with her brothers and sister and seems very alert. I called the vet and they said they aren't overly worried because she's quite active but since losing a kitten I can't help but worry.
Should I not be overly worried? Will she need extra feeding even though I see she feeds well and is very active?
1 days loss doesnt need to be alarming, but her raising before were too little a day. So yeah, you should do something extra. Start asap.

What do she gets now?
Can you get raw goats milk?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Roman9682

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's on mum's milk. She feeds well, doesn't get pushed out.

I have kitten formula so was going to start her on that

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She's on mum's milk. She feeds well, doesn't get pushed out.

I have kitten formula so was going to start her on that
Good!
What brand of kitten formula? Most brands are OK, but many reports Hartz is very uneven.

Also, observe kitten used to mom is often reluctant with bottle,
and thus, you may need to use a syringe - possibly with a nipple on.

(mini miracle nipple / miracle nipple works well for many)

Train some on a doll, using a syringe is more tricky than a bottle.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. Get home a source of glucose sugar. Glucose sugar proper / dextrose is best, but otherwise, white caro syrup.

Very useful in many situation with kittens in trouble.