3+1 makes 4.... Maybe... oh boy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Just keep doing it .. though I would place the scent cloth not by the food
I always heard/read it is good to place it by the food/under the food plate so they relate the other kitties' scents to good things.... Is that information not correct?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

I always heard/read it is good to place it by the food/under the food plate so they relate the other kitties' scents to good things.... Is that information not correct?
I will let the Real Experts chime in ... but I always started in communal non food areas... I would have issues with someone new at my dish... I do place stuff in beds , on the furniture( human and cat) plus I wore a piece when Introing Dal

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Things got.... interesting!
The scent exchange was funny... Well... Gracie could care less - attacked her food as though she hadn't eaten in a week
didn't even notice anything different. I got three different wash cloths and rubbed one on each of the kitties, Lucky, Bugsy and Hope. Then I put them under Gracie's plate. Not a reaction - none.
While she was eating I rubbed other 3 wash cloths all over her - one for lucky's plate, one for hope's and one for Bugsy.

Lucky didn't care, Bugsy ate and found the wash cloth quite handy to cover his plate
and then there was Hope... ah Hope had a hard time....
Hope smelled every inch of that cloth very carefully, as though it would jump to bite her and after a long while doing so, walked away refusing to eat the food.
Only after taking the cloth out she ate... I then folded the cloth under the plate, and she ate the rest...
Hope seems to be the one stressing out the most about this situation - I need to be very careful with her...

Lucky has been extremely curious with who is behind the door - anytime I am in the bathroom she is right there, scratching the door... If I open the door, she watches Gracie very carefully

Today I opened the door for them to see each other - the scene was priceless: Standing outside of the bathroom the three resident kitties, very quiet, capable of hearing a pin drop quiet; inside Gracie, quiet, with the occasional Hissssssss, hissssssss, hisssssss.
She doesn't have a problem with Lucky; whenever Lucky watches her, she just goes on to grooming herself, eating, or whatever... But the others do make her nervous.
How long can she be inside of the bathroom?
I work out of my home, and visit her all the time... Sometimes I just bring my laptop and stay here with her...
She is not stressed, and doesn't looked depressed at all... She is eating really, and I mean REALLY well...
What do you think? I do not want to ruin this, and want to do the absolute best for this to work...
C - Hope was a stray, a street cat for a while, right? It makes sense then that she would be the most wary. Just give it time. And I am not surprised by Grace's appetite.. she is making up for lost time!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

C - Hope was a stray, a street cat for a while, right? It makes sense then that she would be the most wary. Just give it time. And I am not surprised by Grace's appetite.. she is making up for lost time!
Yes, Hope was a stray, the others
never had that fear...
Here is a little movie I did of Gracie the day before yesterday - that's when I found out she was covered with fleas... The movie is long, sorry, but you can see how she doesn't look stressed and how chatty she is

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gracie is BEAUTIFUL

I have a soft spot for senior kitties, we adopted three, two girls and a boy. The boy Sammy has hyperthyroidism. Constant eating, extreme weight loss, unkept coat and heart problems are big symptoms of this disorder, so I am not surprised she is eating all the time and yet hungry all the time. Her body is overworking and will do so until the Methimazole will start doing its balancing act. You should see her apetite leveling off if she is on the right dose, also she will gradually gain weight. Her coat is greasy and dull because of the thyroid also (I am not minimizing the fact that she was neglected). She may also not groom a lot anymore since she is an older girl...

In Sammy's case his T3 and T4 panels were normal so rechecking the values afer a month of treatment did no good. We had to rely on his apetite leveling off and him gaining/maintaining his weight to know for a fact that he was on the right dose of Methimazole. He does have a heart murmur but it's stable and not life threatening. Did your vet say anything about Gracie's having developed a heartmurmur?

I am sure the experts will chime in here. Like you said, I would take it easy and slow with the intros. Our Leo had very hard time accepting Sweet Pea but we kept at it. We did put the scent cloth under the water/food dishes; just like Hope, Leo did not like it very much. I used to pet Sweet Pea and after leaving his room I would go and pet Leo and transfer Sweet Pea's scent this way onto Leo's coat. You will have to give Hope tons and tons of attention...

A big hug to you for saving this very special little old lady

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I forgot, do you have baby gates up? If not, you might want to get some and try that for a week or two. We left Tumbles in his room for a total of 3 weeks with the screen door on. (Part of that time he was in a big dog crate and the 2 resident cats could come "visit" him when they wanted.) I'd say keep her in the bathroom for at least 2 weeks to get her totally comfy of the noises, smells, etc and also to make sure she eats well, learns to trust you, and is doing okay medically. Then you can start working on the integrations.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Carolina, if Hope won't eat at all with the Gracie-scented cloth there, then remove it! Try putting treats down on one after a good play session and see what happens.

But you're right - the point in scent swapping is to get them associating the scent with good things, things they love, so they transfer that association to the scent.

They know she's there, and they can smell her under the door and on you.