2nd Cat - Best To Get Kitten Or Adult, And When?

WJSong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried search this forum but couldn't find an existing thread addressing this issue.

My older cat, Twix, passed away 2 weeks ago, leaving my 5-year old male cat, Taro. Twix and Taro were never the best of friends but they tolerated each other. No grooming but they would eat/sleep near each other, and chase and play fight (sometimes it would be a bit 'growl-y' on Twix's behalf, but nothing out of hand).

Since Twix's passing, Taro seems to be doing okay. He's not displaying any visible stressful behaviours. But I am a bit concerned because he has lived with other animals his whole life, and now spends most of the day alone (my partner and I work full time). I would like to bring another cat into the household to keep him company.

Taro is a very easy-going, good natured cat. He is very playful, and has never hissed, growled, bitten, etc. Previously when he has met other cats, he has been alert and would also hide, but no aggression. To be honest I think the detached relationship between him and Twix was mostly caused by her aloofness.

Would it be better to bring an adult cat of similar temperament? Or would it be easier to integrate a kitten, whom Taro would see less of a threat? Also, should I wait to give Taro more time to 'grieve' Twix's death, or would it be preferable to introduce a new cat soon so that he would not be lonely?

Thanks in advance!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry for the loss of your Twix. :alright: If you're ready, please do consider posting a memorial to him in our crossing the bridge forums. :angel:

It's usually best to introduce a kitten to a resident adult cat, that way the adult feels less like their territory is threatened by an intruder. Sometimes adult cats (neutered males as well as females!) will almost step into a kind of parental role, grooming and playing with the kitten, which is pretty cute to see. :)

Once you bring in your new kitten, it is important to follow formal introduction protocol, which is discussed in the article here: How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WJSong

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry for the loss of your Twix. :alright: If you're ready, please do consider posting a memorial to him in our crossing the bridge forums. :angel:

It's usually best to introduce a kitten to a resident adult cat, that way the adult feels less like their territory is threatened by an intruder. Sometimes adult cats (neutered males as well as females!) will almost step into a kind of parental role, grooming and playing with the kitten, which is pretty cute to see. :)

Once you bring in your new kitten, it is important to follow formal introduction protocol, which is discussed in the article here: How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Thank you, it has been a really hard for me as Twix's departure was unexpected. I'm not even sure I'm ready for a new cat right this moment, but I also want to act in Taro's best interests.

I didn't know there was a forum dedicated to memorials. I will make a post when things have settled a bit :)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
W WJSong welcome to TCS! I'm so sorry it is at a sad time. :rbheart:
And it's quite appropriate for you to start your own thread about this.
Here is our Crossing the Bridge forum if you feel you would like to use it.

I agree with abyeb about a kitten or younger cat, if you feel that is what you would like to do. :)

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Having just adopted new kittens as companions to my older cat that has been with a cat companion for most of her life (but they weren’t friends), I would highly suggest trying to find an older kitten (so approximately 1-2 years old) with a similar temperment. I think it is easier to gauge the personality of a cat at this age, and there have been lots of horror stories about hyperactive kittens on the site.

I adopted two very young kittens and I think this is also a great option. Why two? Because younger kittens have tons of energy. Even if Taro likes to play he likely won’t be ready for the kind of non-stop energy a kitten has. The kittens will be able to rough house with each other while your older cat gets used to them. You will also be less exhausted - I think contrary to what many people might expect, two kittens are a lot more manageable than one that happens to have a lot of energy. It also means the kittens won’t be lonely during the first few weeks of introductions when the cats should be separated and if there is an adjustment period to letting them out at night (many people put kittens in a spare room at night because they are too noisy, too active, or have trouble with digestion).

However, because your kitty has had positive history with other cats in the past I think you can’t really go wrong if you take the introductions slowly. Good luck!