2cats And A Kitten

Jamesescats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello to all
I am new here and have had cats all through my life. I got my Cat, Libby when she was 1year old. Around 3years old now. Moved in with partner who has an 8/9year old cat, Lia. Both females. Addapted to one another very quickly. Both females. Brilliant. Recently got a kitten, Dexter(Dex) a boy. Around the 16week mark. My normally very friendly cat Libby has changed completely, to aggressive. The other cat, Lia who has always been a bit aggressive settled with the kitten very quickly. Surprise surprise. I have been trying to give Libby extra attention and have noticed she is back to her self if outside the home. But returns to aggression when in home. This is completely unlike her and for her breed. Any advice please as to help her be more comfortable with Dex and play even?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
CatWelcome.gif
Welcome to TCS, Libby, Leah and Dexter! I'm sorry to hear that Libby is not happy having Dexter around. This kind of thing often happens when a new cat is brought into a place already home to another cat. Giving Libby more attention is good but you may need to go through an entire reintroduction phase between Dexter and Libby. Check out these articles for advice on how to do so:

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

Consider starting a thread in the Cat Behavior forum Cat Behavior about this. Members who have expertise in cat behavior don't always check the New Cats on the Block forum so you might get a wider response that way. In the meantime, you can't go wrong in reading the two articles above.

We have a lot of information here, both in the articles and in the threads so take your time and look around. More than just information, however, we also offer a caring community. I hope to see you around the forums!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
7376AAE1-B400-42B2-AA5D-E3441BE782F5.jpeg
Jamesescat, Libby, Lia and Dexter, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
9D2B2F1B-A5EF-4A8F-AF09-CED96CEB87BB.gif
to all of you.

Glad that you’ve joined us and you are in the right place for all things cat.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and and see ya around :wink:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: That's a bit surprising that Libby and Lia, both females, adjusted so well, but now Libby isn't so welcoming towards the boy, Dex. Wonder if it's because he's still a kitten? Or maybe Dex is getting too much of Daddy's attention. My only suggestion would be to try re-introduction, scent swapping, etc. Good luck. :crossfingers:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome! Do feel free to post your questions about helping your cats get along in this forum, Cat Behavior. There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks who frequent that forum!