25 days of doing the right thing!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you, Carol! I just got read the riot act (gently) by my OBGYN - the one who did my hysterectomy. He and his partner have a weight loss program but boy - is it harsh. He detailed if for me ... and I told him I needed to think about it. Weight Watchers is beginning to look good compared to this!

I feel better when I exercise. I feel better when I do the circuit/resistance training. And it's absolutely necessary for weight loss.

I've been treadmilling, but eating too much, so I need to "come together" on these two things...

PS - targeting daily exercise is definitely the way to go...I am more consistent when I have that mindset.

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Your story reminds me of the one about the man who was discouraged and went to his doctor. He wanted the doctor to tell him some way he could commit suicide so that it wasn't obvious, so his wife could collect his life insurance.

The doctor told him the only way he could think of was to run himself to death. Just start out running, and run until he dropped dead. He went home, put on some sweats, and started running. He only got 3 or 4 blocks before he got so tired, he just gave up and decided to try again the next day. After a month of doing this, going farther each day, he felt so good he forgot why he wanted to commit suicide!
Oh if only people would do this.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got my treadmill and totalgym set up in my back room, so instead of sitting on my butt watching tv, I can walk on my treadmill and watch tv. I cannot get in sunlight because of my lupus, so walking outside was out of the question for me. Plus, my neighborhood is kind of shady, and my SO was worried about me walking around there at night while he was at work.
I just have to do a little more arranging in there, and I will be all set. I am excited about it, because I love to walk, I used to walk or ride my bicycle everywhere when I was younger.
I want to say that all of you discussing getting in shape and losing weight has been an inspiration for me. Thanks!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

I just got my treadmill and totalgym set up in my back room, so instead of sitting on my butt watching tv, I can walk on my treadmill and watch tv. I cannot get in sunlight because of my lupus, so walking outside was out of the question for me. Plus, my neighborhood is kind of shady, and my SO was worried about me walking around there at night while he was at work.
I just have to do a little more arranging in there, and I will be all set. I am excited about it, because I love to walk, I used to walk or ride my bicycle everywhere when I was younger.
I want to say that all of you discussing getting in shape and losing weight has been an inspiration for me. Thanks!
You're welcome.... but it's more than talk. I just gotta. I'm mildly diabetic. What my doctor said to me is, the abnormal numbers would disappear if I were to lose X amount of weight (i'm not going to say, too embarrasing b/c it's a large number.) He said, with a lot of concern in his voice and on his face, that diabetes is a terrible disease. It takes your eyes, your kidneys. He's worried about me. I should be worried about me, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh, thank you all so much for the encouragement and the excellent recommendations! And Linda, thank you for that link, I will join that thread!

I think you're right, a mall is probably my best bet for indoor walking (unless I join Curves, which may have treadmills or a track) -- and goodness knows we have plenty of them around here. I've tried walking in grocery stores, but I walk so fast that people look at me funny.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Carol, Im so proud of you. Thats a big accomplishment. Its so easy to be lazy and put it off. It takes courage and strength to start and then keep doing it. You have proven your strength to yourself. You are going to look and feel so much better as result of loving yourself that much. Way to go to you

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Oh I just thought of another way to walk/run indoor during summer.... are you near a decent sized college or university at all? I went to Penn State and we had like a million gyms on campus, plus there was rec hall (our original basketball arena) - pretty much anyone can go into rec hall when it's open and no event is going on and walk/run the indoor track that circles the top of the arena... just a thought!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pami, I never thought I'd say this, but you're right -- I'm starting to love myself! Not just my fundamental spiritual value as a living being, which was all the love I could muster up before, but my actual physical self. I just love my poor old body for responding so well to my exercise efforts, despite having been neglected for so long.

Buzby, yes, come to think of it -- the main campus of a big community college is not far away, and it's a beautiful place... I'll bet they do have some sort of facility I could use. And there's a city rec center very close by that has a small indoor track and some exercise equipment and such, and I ought to check it out again... I went over there once years ago and the whole building smelled like the sweaty teenage boys who frequent it, so I backed off!
But maybe that was a bad day. And maybe I won't mind so much if I'm sweaty, too!

By the way -- last night, I kicked into a new gear, something kinda like the "fastwalking" thing with the arm-pumping, moving very very fast. And I was able to walk that fast for ten minutes before I even broke a sweat! This is astounding to me.

If I had only known how quickly your body can change with really not very much effort, I would have started doing this decades ago. I guess I just never believed it was possible to really change myself so much!

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm am so happy for you!!! That is a major accomplishment!!! Congratulations and keep it up!!

I've been getting very active and losing weight the last three months, and I agree about the daily. I have people tell me not to do it daily, but it is just easier to stick with, even if it's just 20 minutes onthe treadmill, it is something.

lol, In fact I"m going to go run now