24 week kitten chewing food weird after desexing?

voyega87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
about 5 days ago we brought our little girl Betta home from the vet after her desexing. We bring her home and she's pretty anxious - she ends up spending most of the night hiding in a box on my bed. I give her water, and then feed her a small meal and then dinner a few hours later. She takes the food as well as she usually does. The next morning, she eats only about a teaspoon of food, and then I give her pain relief.

Fast forward 4 days, and now she is only taking a few small bites of food, chewing excessively with most of it falling out of her open mouth. I immediately suspected teeth problems, but I've never had any experience with dental stuff with cats so I have no idea if it's correct.
She seems uninterested in her wet food, and instead is only interested in her dry food.

I would take her to the vets, but they were closed from the day after we brought her home, and won't reopen until tomorrow. Any one got any idea what's going on here?

Cheers :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is she? What pain medication is she on? My money would be on the pain medication is causing her to chew weird but it's always best to follow up with your vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah: Not to mention, if you are using her wet food as the medium for the pills, she could be connecting the two and is hesitant to eat her wet food because she ends up feeling 'weird' after it or that it is altering the taste of her food.

What is she doing to suggest that she still needs pain meds? If they are given after actually being needed, they can cause her to feel totally 'off'.

She is pretty young to be having dental issues, as well as the odd 'coincidence' in terms of timing - besides, I would have thought she would have gone through a thorough exam before spaying (de-sexing) that might have identified a dental problem.

Of course, you need to touch base with the vet, just to be on the safe side.