21 Year old cat, wobbly back legs?

cherrychan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so first off, hello to everyone on the forum and thank you for taking some time to read this post.

My cat is a mixed-breed 20-21 year old spayed female named Oreo. She has never once had any health issues in the 20+ years we have had her. One day a few months back she woke up from a nap and just couldn't seem to find any balance. She wobbled horribly, and her back legs gave out every 3-4 steps she took. She went to her food bowl to get some food and water, and tried to walk more but was still having the falling issues, at one point all four legs completely gave out and she scrambled to get back up, but most of the time she was just wobbling and her back legs would fall a certain direction, followed by the rest of her body, as if someone was swooping her back legs to the side. We scooped her up gently and set her back down on the couch where she curled up and proceeded to go back to sleep as if nothing had happened. We got her into the vet ASAP, which was the next morning. By that time she was walking a lot better, she was still having what looked like weak back legs, and especially if she shook her head she would lose balance for a moment but not fall. The vet ran full blood work and a physical check up, only to find that she was 100% healthy. No diabetes, no fractures, no ear infections, nothing was wrong with her physically. The vet said that it wasn't a stroke either, and that a slight onset of arthritis was likely to blame. They sent us home with medicated supplements for arthritis, and Oreo was/has been fine for the most part ever since.

She eats just fine, she plays, runs, and jumps (albeit not as gracefully, when she jumps sometimes her back legs bend under her and she wobbles a bit). Id say she is a more-than-normal active 21 year old cat, but she still sleeps alot. She used to be an indoor/outdoor cat but hasn't wanted to go outside in years. The only thing i'm noticing ever since this incident is that she still wobbles just a little sometimes, and especially when she shakes her head, she will wobble a little but never fall. She has also developed two new behaviors in the past few months: shaking her tail like a rattlesnake and dipping her paw into her water dish. The tail thing is almost constant, especially when she is rubbing on someones legs, and she has never dipped her paw before now. The vet was surprised at how healthy she is for 21, but after that many years with her I can tell her back legs just aren't as strong. Should I be worried? Is there anything we can do for her? Has anyone else ever seen this and what happened to your cat? Thank you so much for your time once again.

Here is a recent picture of her. 

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I unfortunately don't have an exact answer, but I can tell you that this exact symptom happened to my moms cat and the cause was diabetes. I would recommend getting a recheck for that as loss of hind limbs mobility is pretty common with diabetes. I hope you get answers soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cherrychan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the response. Has anyone else had this issue?