2019 was a very rough year for running cat rescue

Siamic

Avid Siamese Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I run a cat rescue. May seem like a ramble because last week was a week that I put in 117 hours at the rescue. Just feel like I have to make a post because it has been overwhelmingly tiring and overwhelmingly amazing the same time. When I do not get everything done in life like somehow I ended up forgetting to do a call back for 3 days or forgot I had a vet appointment for a cat yesterday - I feel like I have failed. But asking one person to run an entire 30-40 cat rescue...some days I feel like keeping it running and taking care of their basic needs is a challenge in and of itself without tacking more on.

I am the director. I have two other people who help me out here but for the most part I am the web designer, photographer, veterinary technician (certified), cat behavior consultant (certified) and graphic designer. Many of the skills would ideally be given to other employees, volunteers, board members. No one has come forward to volunteer in the last two years with these things so I am it. We have been thankful to have huge amount of community donors though! And we openly invite places that work with special need's individuals to come by and pet/socialize with cats. That feels awesome. I taught myself most of these skills. While that sounds nice - I have been volunteering between 80 and 120 hours a week at the cat rescue to maintain it since I can't even afford to pay myself. I live with the co-director and her friend works a good job that pays for the housing for our little family. We saved 211 cats in 2019 and 150 in 2018 + 100 in 2017. Of those cats - 15 eye removals, 7 leg removals, 2 femoral head repairs and more. I cannot say not to a cat with medical needs and would rather not take a paycheck even if I feel like we could pay me for my efforts. I have 11 years of rescue experience at 27 which is really interesting. I worked in a shelter for years prior to tech school and starting this rescue. Some days I regret it due to having no help, other days it feels like it is where I need to be in life.

I love it and I hate it. Waking up at 5 am and going to sleep at 11 pm is a daily because nothing goes as planned since we are focused on special needs. We have saved countless cats with ruptured eyes, broken legs and so on. I think the hardest thing I want to say is that it runs your life. Good and bad. The rest of my life suffers definitely - by that I mean, drinking and eating perhaps not the best food and neglecting cleaning the house at home or not being able to spend the time you would like to with family and so on. Not even getting all of the rescue work done every day because there is not nearly enough time in the day. Sometimes you get yelled at because you are unable to be at two places at once as a small rescue that is constantly taking on more than it can chew it seems like.

Regardless, things have went relatively well. I have been volunteering more 80 hour shifts lately than 100-120. I am a professional writer so write a cat behavior article here and there to earn money to help with house care. I also do product reviews and make money on that by giving advice to the product designers. Just recently I picked up grant writing.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm. I totally get it. :clap2::goldstar::worship::alright::welcomesign::vibes::redheartpump:
If we happened to be near each other.... join forces!
I started rescuing young as well. I didn’t intend to really BECOME a rescuer. I just could not turn away. It seems like a hundred years ago but also , just yesterday that I had to rush to rescue a large colony. It was an emergency for every cat and kitten. The time frame, time devoted, and everything else you mentioned became my life as well. Each time you feel exhausred or low on hope, post again. This is a great place to find encouragement and renewed hope. Many here do join forces, whether it is online or even through networking or connecting other ways. You’ve done what each of us hoped to do. You saved lives, gave love and gave kitties a better life. I also raised a Special needs child so huge hug to you! I still manage the cats that did not get adopted out of the two colonies that were high risk here. All colony members were feral so I socialized as many possible for adoption. Sometimes it’s tough and then there are the days when something goes so well you wonder how it happened. Try to network and get a little more help. Please keep writing here so we can give you support if you feel the need and never give up. Just when you least expect it, good things happen! Welcome to TCS! Thank you for all you have done and are doing! Sending love and all the best vibes and energy that I can find!:vibes::redheartpump::sunshine:

bikeman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are a saint
+1.

As a person with a special needs cat that we rescued, and is currently up for adoption, (we are now a shelter), it is people like you who help keep these kids alive, rather than be put down summarily.
Please don't give up your work. After talking to several cat rescue groups around here discussing our guy, Lolli (thread on him in Cat Health), it is clear that you are not alone in your devotion to your work. People have come out of the woodwork offering their opinions and their help.

I get frustrated that so many rescue groups cannot help an animal that was once feral, or have FIV, have a physical problem or might occasionally nip because they can't clearly say "no" just yet in their current young developmental stages.

But... There are people like you around. Yes. You. Are. A. Saint.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Uhh......... are you me?

No, seriously... I’m not going to lie, I’m super suspicious right now 😆

I’m the same age as you.

I have 15-17 years rescue experience (I wanted to be a dog when I grew up 😂 so I begged my parents to let me volunteer/chaperone).

I’m a certified dog trainer (focused on feral, abused/traumatized, and poorly socialized dogs).

I’m a certified cat behavior consultant (was initially pursuing cognitive ethology!), although I never technically used it as planned because of rescue.

I now work at a wildlife sanctuary.

And I spend every single second (and dime) of my free time (and bank account) trapping, taking in, and privately fostering companion animals (mostly cats these days), with a focus on seniors/geriatrics and/or special needs, along with TNR/colony care taking, and recently, TNR advocacy.

We have 23 animals in our care right now, 16 of which are cats (and 2 dogs, 5 foster rats).

I certainly feel you on so much of what you expressed here. Friends have a hard time grasping why I haven’t been out with them in years, why I suck at maintaining communication...

Well, it takes at least two hours to get everyone fed, water changed, dishes washed at every meal, doggos out to potty, boxes scooped, and basic cleaning of cages (for rats or other small animals).

And those two hours do not account for meds, injections, or fluids, of which most of the animals in our care require (including the small animals), nor does it account for kittens/puppies/pups/kits/etc that eat multiple times a day or are bottle babies (whenever we have them), and it also doesn’t account for feeding/watering our colonies.

That’s not what I even consider to be the bare minimum, since we prioritize playtime, interaction, socialization, training, enrichment, and walking the dogs (and some cats) as highly as any of those other things.

It’s exhausting, and sometimes I wonder why the hell I changed the entirety of my life’s plan, back up plan, and the back up plan to the back up for something that is costly and doesn’t pay/doesn’t pay well and is so demanding in every respect.

But then I look at the kitty in my profile picture - and I remember.

I think to myself so many times, “I should take a break, slow down, just foster one cat at a time for the municipal shelter, and pursue my degree, get back involved with my friends and hobbies, and just live a normal life for a while.”

But too much always needs to be done, too many animals need help. Above all else, too many people are cruel, irresponsible, or look the other way.

And the truth of the matter is, I can’t tolerate not doing it.

Even when I am too mentally and physically exhausted to be “useful” or need to take a break, what am I doing?

I am here, on TCS, and on private, local animal rescue Facebook groups, trying to help others. I am educating about wildlife or how to recover lost pets on Nextdoor. I am researching TNR laws and planning for how to change local ordinances and public opinion. Or, I am slowly getting through my collection of veterinary books to try and educate myself.

Even when it’s stressful - and believe you me, it is most definitely at peak stress for me these last few weeks - something about it doesn’t feel like work (unless there’s poop involved - never got over that one! 😂). It’s just “a calling”, so to speak.

I love TCS in large part because no one in the real world understands, and it is the most isolating aspect of rescue. But members here get it.

I hope you might be able to find some comfort in the community here like I have.

My boyfriend nags me when he sees me coming here in my free time, and tells me I need to focus on something other rescue and cats to decompress.

What he doesn’t understand, is that coming to TCS (even just lurking or reading old threads) is how I decompress, and even how I practice “self-love” - because 9.9 times out of 10, TCS is the only place that I don’t feel so alone... and the only time where the world doesn’t seem quite so insane.

Thank you for everything you do for these cats - for picking up society’s slack, even when it feels like doing so will surely break you.

Every exhausting, overwhelming, and heartbreaking moment of what you do is worthwhile.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, it's wonderful that you do this. You've definitely come to the right place to meet kindred spirits.

I take care of a colony of semi-feral cats. Not very feral now, as they've all been with me for years, but not really friendly enough to rehome. I also foster and rehome kittens as well as doing TNR.

It's nice to have you on TCS.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I hope CCRDirector comes back! Does anyone know where her rescue is? I'd honestly love to be able to help her out some if she's close.