2013 - AAFP Releases New Feline Vaccination Guidelines

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Via The Conscious Cat:

http://consciouscat.net/2013/09/23/aafp-releases-new-feline-vaccination-guidelines/

Of note: Rabies (though legally mandated in many places) is no longer considered a core vaccine; the new guidelines also contain changes to the recommended location of vaccine administration to facilitate treatment of possible injection-site sarcomas.

The guidelines at the American Association of Feline Practitioners: http://www.catvets.com/guidelines/practice-guidelines/feline-vaccination-guidelines

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Read it this morning.  I fully intend to discuss this with our vet when we bring our "kids" in for their annuals in the next couple of months.  I am sure, however, he is not going to agree.  One of the many reasons I wish I could find someone better in my area but so far, no such luck.  He is, at least, really really good with my cats on an emotional level which counts for something.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet already vaccinates Alice at these intervals.  Patches doesn't get vaccinated anymore since having had fatty liver.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I honestly don't know what schedule our various vets use. We don't have adult cats vaccinated any longer as they're all indoor, we don't foster, and we don't ever board them.

miskinsincap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Peanut is also no longer vaccinated, except for rabies, and only because of the law. But ShapSheik is just beginning his vaccinations, and since it has been some time without them with Peanut, I was looking for some reading material on the subject.