2 Year Old Male Persian With Supracaudal Gland Hyperplasia Or Stud Tail

fatfelix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I noticed that there was a black waxy patch on my furbaby’s tail and no matter how much I try to wash it off, it won’t go away. What alarmed me the most was the hair loss on the base of his tail. I found out that it was called a stud tail. Since I couldn’t get the “sebum” off, I had to shave the affected parts, not clip since the sebum was practically stuck to the skin (per the advice of a fellow cat owner). I saw little blackheads and stuff, but that’s all. No redness or tenderness or warmth, a good sign. I live in a small town in the Philippines and the only vet here is on vacation, so I can’t really ask for a professional opinion.

So my question is, how long will it take for the fur to grow back? I don’t mind the shaved portion since they had fur to begin with and I know they’re gonna grow back. But what about the actual hair loss on the base of his tail caused by the Supracaudal Gland Hyperplasia?

Also, i’m treating his tail with diluted Apple Cider Vinegar followed up by a hypoallergenic facial moisturizer just to be safe. I also wash his tail everyday. Is this enough?

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have expierence with this at all so I hope someone else can tell you if you're treating it properly, but the best solution to get rid of this is of course to have him neutered.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here is an old thread on stud tail that may be helpful. I'm not at all sure that applying a moisturiser is helpful. In fact, I think it might be compounding the issue. Just my opinion.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise