2 year old male cat peeing in our bed while we are in it...help!

lfahlman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About two weeks ago my 2 year old siamese flame point cross was hanging out in our bed in the morning as he usually does and out of no where, squatted right by me and started to urinate. This was the first time he's ever done this. Right away I thought UTI. It was a Sunday so we planned to take him to the vet first thing Monday morning. Sure enough later on Sunday he peed right infront of me again, so I was pretty confident in what was wrong. Took him to the vet for some tests and they confirmed his bladder was inflamed and he appeared to have very very small crystals. We got him on antibiotics right away and specialty wet cat food to treat. We have two cats including my flame point and we have always fed them healthy cat foods such as blue buffalo and science diet. They are fed twice a day and one meal is always wet cat food. Since taking our flamepoint the the vet, we have been only feeding them wet food. Anyways, everything seemed great a few days later. It's been about 12 days since he peed in our bed. I woke up last night because I felt damp. Sure enough there was cat pee on me! I am confused as he hasn't peed anywhere since being treated almost two weeks ago. The other times he did it I was wide awake, this time he did it while I was sleeping. I have checked his litter box daily and he is taking normal pees and I have been cleaning his box regularly. I am very worried he will do this again and I need to break this habit ASAP! Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really would suggest going back to the vet. It's very common for UTIs to recur soon after initial treatment. I'm not that surprised he's going on you - when my boy had crystals he would come and squat in front of us, trying to show us what was wrong.

I know you say his pee clumps are normal, but it's almost impossible to be sure of that when you have more than one cat.

Also make sure that you clean the soiled bedding with an enzymatic cleaner, to be certain of removing all traces of the smell to his sensitive nose.

The last thing to keep in mind is that UTIs are painful. Sometimes a cat will associate the litter box with the pain. Sometimes changing the litterbox experience (different type/shape of box, different litter,different position - any or all of these) can really help a cat create positive associations again.

You might find these articles helpful:-
[article="32366"]​[/article]
[article="29715"]​[/article]