2 Year Old Cat Ate A 2 Foot Long Ribbon!

marj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had thought my cat was playing/chewing on a ribbon that she was playing with earlier and when I looked down it was gone! It’s thick ribbon, maybe half an inch wide and was about 2 feet long. She swallowed it about half an hour ago. Should I take her to the vet as soon as they open or wait? I don’t want it to get wrapped around her intestines and/or start cutting up the lining. Is there anything I can give her to help it get through her system?

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Do you have Petromalt ? This is a flavored mineral oil jelly that helps kitty pass hairballs. I would watch carefully and check her stool . Hopefully it will pass through without problems .
Here's a link with more info ...
Keep us posted .

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think you should call the vet as soon as they open. How does your cat seem now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She seems fine, as she just woke me up to play. She ate and drank water last night. I will call the vet as soon as they open.

marj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
~ Do you have Petromalt ? This is a flavored mineral oil jelly that helps kitty pass hairballs. I would watch carefully and check her stool . Hopefully it will pass through without problems .
Here's a link with more info ...
Keep us posted .

Fortunately she’s never had hairball issues so I’ve never had to give her petromalt. The only thing I have for her is a little bit of Lysine gel.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you 100% sure she ate that much ribbon? If so, I would definitely be sitting at the vet's office when the doors open.

Have you looked underneath furniture, behind doors and anywhere else she might have "hidden" the ribbon? It's not impossible she ate 2 feet of ribbon, but that is a lot.

marj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you 100% sure she ate that much ribbon? If so, I would definitely be sitting at the vet's office when the doors open.

Have you looked underneath furniture, behind doors and anywhere else she might have "hidden" the ribbon? It's not impossible she ate 2 feet of ribbon, but that is a lot.
Yes I believe she did. She was on the floor in the same room I was in. I checked everywhere for it when I noticed she wasn’t “playing” anymore.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd go get an x-ray to see where the mass is. Depending on the material the ribbon is made from, it's possible that her stomach acid will dissolve it into pieces she can pass. It's good she ate and drank water overnight. The ribbon either has to come out one end or the other (or worst case, be surgically removed).

I wouldn't wait for symptoms that she is blocked up, because then that does become a medical emergency. Go get an x-ray and professional evaluation.

marj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd go get an x-ray to see where the mass is. Depending on the material the ribbon is made from, it's possible that her stomach acid will dissolve it into pieces she can pass. It's good she ate and drank water overnight. The ribbon either has to come out one end or the other (or worst case, be surgically removed).

I wouldn't wait for symptoms that she is blocked up, because then that does become a medical emergency. Go get an x-ray and professional evaluation.

Thanks for the information! I called the vet and am bringing her in in a few hours, but if she has issues with a bowel movement I’ll bring her to the ER. It will be 12 hours since she ate it once I get her in with the vet, but she’s acting normal. Eating, drinking, & playing.

marj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well they induced vomiting and she threw up a lot of food but not the ribbon. She is on a high fiber diet to help push it along, since she was not experiencing any symptoms of it being tangled so I’m hoping she’ll pass it. I don’t like the waiting game and I feel terrible that they had to induce vomiting, but please keep Meowgi in your thoughts so she can pass the string without complications.

marj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
However, I am having a hard time getting her to eat the wet prescribed food and she will eat a little of the dry food if I mix it with her regular food and treats. Not sure if it’s the meds they gave her or if she really just doesn’t like the food.