2 weeks old kitten

Alice80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, i have a stray cat living in my garden, she gave birth in an empty house in the neighbourhood on May 10. She disappeared for 1 week and we eventually found her kittens but one of them was already dead. We took in the other kitten and started giving him formula but then the mother finally showed up (she had a collar on her neck so i think somebody tried to take her in not knowing she had babies 😪). She took care of her baby immediately and she's spending the whole day with him but i'm afraid her milk is dry because the kitten isn't getting any weight.
My question is will her milk come back and how do i know if the kitten is getting enough??
I'm trying to feed him some formula but he is completely refusing and keeps chewing on the bottle and turns his head away. But i'm afraid he's not getting anything from the mother. What can i do to help them?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi, i have a stray cat living in my garden, she gave birth in an empty house in the neighbourhood on May 10. She disappeared for 1 week and we eventually found her kittens but one of them was already dead. We took in the other kitten and started giving him formula but then the mother finally showed up (she had a collar on her neck so i think somebody tried to take her in not knowing she had babies 😪). She took care of her baby immediately and she's spending the whole day with him but i'm afraid her milk is dry because the kitten isn't getting any weight.
My question is will her milk come back and how do i know if the kitten is getting enough??
I'm trying to feed him some formula but he is completely refusing and keeps chewing on the bottle and turns his head away. But i'm afraid he's not getting anything from the mother. What can i do to help them?
Kittens whom have momma, have often difficult for bottle. Try with a needleless syringe, or a dropper!

The only way to know for sure if he gets enough, and you arent experienced, is to weigh every day. If he adds 10+ grammes a day, good, if its much less - you must act vigorously....

But dont worry he wont take from momma if you handfeed. Its always pleasant to suckle from momma. So if momma has any milk, he will get it.
And yes, sometimes the milk comes back if baby suckles.

What kmr do you have? Can you get raw goats milk?

Was there a telephone number on the collar? So you can phone the other family, and thell them its OK with this momma and her baby?
I suppose you have her inside now, with yourelf?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alice80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I weighed yesterday and today and he didn't get any weight although he was sucking all day yesterday. I will ask about the goat milk today.

The collar doesn't have a phone number and she doesn't belong to anyone she's been living in the garden since she was a baby. I think they just found her in the street and took her in. I'm keeping them inside at least until the baby can start with solids.

When can i introduce kitten wet food?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you are desperate, you can begin next week, but this is early.
Continue with goats milk or this kmr you do have....

And yes, continue to try to get into him, he must have supplement. If he dont lose weight, he apparently do get in something. But very apparently, not enough.

If he seems weakish, you can always smear a droplet of white caro syrup on his gum, inside the lips: gives some energhy.