2 Week Old Kitten

Nicole903

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I'm new here... anyway my aunt had found a 2 week old kitten which I had taken off her hands (she has two kids under age 5 as well as two German shepherds, didn't need to take care of another infant lol). I took him to the vet today, he was overall healthy which was good. However, I was wondering if anyone has any tricks about taking care of such a young cat. Maybe feeding tips, things to purchase, how/when to do certain things.
Thanks in advance

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you feeding the kitten? How much? How often? What are you feeding it?

Do you stimulate it to pee and poop?

Keeping it warm?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Easiest to say in all haste, is to look at the articles and treads in our Preg & Kitten care forum. I shall ask our mods to move your post there too. The site www.kitten-rescue.com is also a good source.

What kitten mothermilk replacement milk, kmr, do you have access to? Goats milk is otherwise ok, raw goats milk even excellent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nicole903

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Keeping it warm?
I do all of them I've had him for a couple days before I took him to the vet, and the vet said I was doing a good job so far! He's pretty easy going for a kitten I'm very surprised

Nicole903

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Easiest to say in all haste, is to look at the articles and treads in our Preg & Kitten care forum. I shall ask our mods to move your post there too. The site www.kitten-rescue.com is also a good source.

What kitten mothermilk replacement milk, kmr, do you have access to? Goats milk is otherwise ok, raw goats milk even excellent.
Before I got the KMR I used goats milk, but now I've gotten it and he's eating more as well as finally using the nipple! & thanks for moving the thread

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's nice to hear that he is doing well!

Are you feeding through the night?

We would love to see a picture! :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, orphans are often easier to help than sickly weak kittens. Even if the orphan had a tought time before found. Although a weak sickly kitten can often be saved if the owner / rescuer fights on vigorously and dedicated, the job of careting of an orphan is often surprisingly "easy". Everything is relative of course. You too must act just so, dedicated and with care. Not forgetting to kittenproof everything you can kittenproof...

We had a couple of awful tragedies, when the war to save a life was decisively won after tremendously hard fight - BUT a sheer accident took the life away anyways...

I do all of them I've had him for a couple days before I took him to the vet, and the vet said I was doing a good job so far! He's pretty easy going for a kitten I'm very surprised

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for taking on the tiny kitten. Lots of body contact (think mother kangaroo) is very nuturing. If that is not feasible, then adding a fluffy stuffed toy animal next to the heat source is also soothing.

Nicole903

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bless you for taking on the tiny kitten. Lots of body contact (think mother kangaroo) is very nuturing. If that is not feasible, then adding a fluffy stuffed toy animal next to the heat source is also soothing.
I'm going to buy him a little stuffed animal! My boyfriends mother had suggested that to me as well! Right now I created a temporary heat pad he snuggled on

Nicole903

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, orphans are often easier to help than sickly weak kittens. Even if the orphan had a tought time before found. Although a weak sickly kitten can often be saved if the owner / rescuer fights on vigorously and dedicated, the job of careting of an orphan is often surprisingly "easy". Everything is relative of course. You too must act just so, dedicated and with care. Not forgetting to kittenproof everything you can kittenproof...

We had a couple of awful tragedies, when the war to save a life was decisively won after tremendously hard fight - BUT a sheer accident took the life away anyways...
Aww :( I'm so sorry about the loses.

Nicole903

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Keeping it warm?

Keeping it warm?
So, question for you. I have been stimulating his pee and poop after every feeding. But he has not pooped since yesterday... he's been peeing a lot. Do you think he could be constipated? Or am I overreacting

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens can skip a day. I would not be concerned unless he skips a couple of days.

You can add a couple of drops of olive oil to his bottle and it will help him poop.

Nicole903

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittens can skip a day. I would not be concerned unless he skips a couple of days.

You can add a couple of drops of olive oil to his bottle and it will help him poop.
Thanks so much!!! Makes me worry less ❤

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sometimes its even better to stimulate them BEFORE the feeding. Try with this too.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't forget to burp him. Place him on your chest and use two fingers to very lightly tap.