2 week old kitten not latching

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We're fostering a mother cat with 4 kittens. Unfortunatelty, I'm new to taking care of kittens. This kitten was the second smallest and for the past few days he has been gaining little or losing. He has now become the runt.

Day 10 - 249g
Day11 - 251g
Day 12 - 257g
Day 13 - 252g

This morning he rose up to 256g after numerous attempts to get him to latch to his mom. Just now he weighed only 250g. We're starting to try syringe feeding him, but he's not really cooperating. Though to be honest we're still trying to learn how to feed him properly. Would he be better with a bottle instead of a syringe? When we try, he does lick up the formula, but mews abnormally loud. Is that telling us to stop or that he's really hungry and we're not giving him enough?

I don't see any sign of infection on him. He's very active, but keeps going off to sleep on his own. He also does seem to roll around on his back sometimes, but I think he's playing? One of his siblings is also 90g heavier, so it's not surprising if he gets pushed off easily. Though not like he's latching well to begin with.

Any advice would be appreciated.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully, one of our members who is more familiar with kitten care than I am will come along soon and give some tips/help. I do know in reading past posts, a lot of times the 'runt' kitten is placed with mama when the other kittens are taking a break/napping, to help avoid the 'competition'. So, you could try that and see if that can help any. I am also providing a link to a web site about feeding kittens - maybe that will help some too.
Kitten Care - View All — Kitten Lady

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for link. I've watched the video, but she's using the miracle nipple to the feed the kitten. I'm not sure how directly feeding with a syringe looks in comparison. I've ordered a miracle nipple a couple days ago, but I won't get it for a few days still. I'm not sure how to read the kitten's body language to tell if he wants the milk or if we're suffocating the poor guy.

Going to try again with the syringe soon. Last I walked in he was actually on his mom and feeding. I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's not a latching issue, but rather that the other siblings are emptying the milk before he gets a shot. Should I be taking the piglet off the mother cat after a certain point? He weighed 343g this morning. They've all had a lackluster day or 2, but the big one has had several 20ish gram days.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please do comp the rotation shedule; so runt is alone with momma, without anybody disturbing him... And parallelly, continue to try to give him with the syringe... You will see on the scale if you can try to stop with the handfeeding.

Momma is always the nicest to suckle from, so if he is strong enough to suckle from momma, he will always get some from momma.

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He definitely has the energy to suckle from momma. I've been trying to attach him to momma alone. Most times, he seems to give up after a few minutes and wanders off. Would that be a sign that she's empty?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’ve made an error. I missed how many days old they are. ALL of your kittens are doing just fine and do not need supplemental feeding. They ALL weigh more than they need to for 2 weeks old and sound very healthy just nursing from mom, though it’s good to have Miracle Nipples on hand.

Kittens will naturally plateau for a day or so here and there, then grow and eat like pigs and gain again. They are just fine!

U Umerwhat

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As of this afternoon he is 14 days old. He weighs the same as day 10. His behavoir does seem perfectly normal other than the wandering off alone thing(he had another sibling go through that phase too and is doing perfectly fine now). 4 days does seem a lot to plateau, doesn't it?

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will be keeping a close eye on him. He did just feed from his mom an hour ago and I was able to get him to latch on again just now. So I'll hold off on the formula until he seems to be crying for food or drops more weight.

Attached a photo to show the difference between him the biggest of the litter. They can't weigh too much at this age, right?
shorty_kittens_4-09-23.jpg

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The kitten has been hoovering between 249g and 256g. I'm trying to give him formula using a 1ml syringe. Most of the time, he happily takes the first 1ml worth, but becomes difficult afterwards and starts crying for his mom. Luckily she'll oblige most times and let him feed, but she doesn't seem to stay put long if only one or two are feeding. Should I try to keep pushing after the first syringe worth or maybe offer more frequently instead? It's like he'll only eat the formula if he's really ravenous. Any experience/advice would be great.

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Honestly don't know what to do here. He keeps dropping weight. I just weighed him at 245g. He was 247g earlier. Even though I saw him feed twice from his mom between those two weight checks, he still lost weight. The one time I know he was feeding at least 15+ minutes. I don't know if his favorite nipple is a dud or what.

He's not taking well to the syringe feeding. The most progress I make seems to be from getting some on the outside of his cheek which he licks off. Problem is, the formula is getting cold too quick. If feeding the kittens takes so long with the formula, how do I keep it warm in the small syringes?

We can call the shelter we work with tomorrow, but we don't normally get a response until the afternoon. I'm afraid of taking him in since it's a 45 minutes drive. I can keep trying to syringe feed him through the night, but I'm afraid I'm burning more of his energy than he's gaining. Is it normal for them to fight it so much?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear! He is clearly not getting enough nutrition if he is losing weight.

To keep him still for feeding, wrap him in a towel with only his head out — like a burrito. He is to be fed tummy down, head up. Never on his back. Put the syringe to the side of his mouth and give a little, then let him swallow and breathe, then go again. He needs more than 1mL, but you mustn’t force it because if he inhales milk into his lungs he will choke, develop pneumonia, and can die. As long as you go slow and allow time for him to swallow and breathe, try to give another mL.

Keep the formula warm by placing the glass or cup it is in, in a bowl of warm water.

You should also order Miracle Nipples on Amazon. Order the short and long and see which he likes better. They fit on the end of the syringe and are most like mom’s nipples.

Of course he prefers mom, so he puts up a fight, but remember that you are in charge.

I hope this video from Kitten Lady helps:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Even at 245 grams he is in the proper range for a 2-week-old. He weighs over 8 ounces and that is the proper weight for his age. He should weigh 340 grams (12 ounces) at 3 weeks.

So, continue to try to supplement him several times a day, and weigh him each day at the same time as the day before. He appears to be getting milk from mom, but I am puzzled as to why he has lost weight, though his weight is still okay for now. Perhaps 1mL more often might work.

Do keep us posted! U Umerwhat

Last edited:

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for responding. I've been trying the burrito method, but he slips out. I'm probably being too gentle. He tends to become really vocal too and it freaks me and the momma cat out. I'll have to be more firm.

I have been keeping the formula in a bowl of warm water. I'm probably making too little at a time for it to keep warm long. I'm a bit wary about reheating any leftovers.

I ordered the Miracle Nipple mini kit from another retailer over the weekend. Unfortunately Amazon is often late in my area even with Prime, so I don't trust them.

I read in another thread that makeup sponges can work. Would that be worth a try? That's at least something I can get locally.

I'm really freaked out how quickly he's losing weight. He's starting to act lethargic too, except when I try to force feed him. His siblings seem so chonky in comparison I'm worried they're eating his share of milk. Seriously, the rest are 300+ grams and the biggest is past the 3 week weight.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can certainly try the makeup sponges. Also try feeding him away from mama so they don’t hear each other. I do hope your Miracle Nipples arrive soon though.

It’s okay to re-warm formula a time or two.

Do not compare him to the others. They are surpassing norms, while your runt is meeting his milestones thus far. Focus on the runt being within his proper weight range only. I had a runt of 4 who is now the largest cat of all — actually huge and rather s bully at times some 7 years later. You just never know!

Hang in there! Keep the faith!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, if he seems lethargic, apply glucose sugar or sugar or honey water to his gums for quick energy before feeding. It should perk him up.

I’m rooting for him and he’s made it 2 weeks so far! Let’s go for week 3!

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did put some honey water on his gums before this feeding. He fought the whole way. I think he got closer to 2 ml this time. He went right to momma to feed after, but I'm not holding a lot of faith in that.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I did put some honey water on his gums before this feeding. He fought the whole way. I think he got closer to 2 ml this time. He went right to momma to feed after, but I'm not holding a lot of faith in that.
If it doesnt go better soon, tube feeding may be a good alternative...

The problem is, you must have somebody whom show you, and lend the gears, because its nothing for a newbe... Very easy to harm the kitten.
That is why we seldom mention it; and using syringe or a little sponge (which you yourself mentioned?) is usually good enough.

Next problem is, many vets doesnt know how to do it / arent willing to show...
So, if you can find a vet whom knows and is willing, or a rescuer / breeder; begin to search for such a one.