2 week kitten constantly crying

newbie99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so the kitten we adopted from CL who was spayed had a kitten two weeks ago.

She's a very good mother for being so young (9 months.)

Just recently (the past 3-4 days) the kitten has been crying consistently. Mama responds to his cries. I can visibly see he is teething. Could that be the cause?

I tried feeding the kitten some of my pumped breast milk just to see if he was hungry. He didn't seem interested at all. I haven't seen him nurse recently though and he wouldn't latch when I tried coaxing him. I've just have been leaving mama to do what she needs. But his meowing is horse now... So in worried if there is something I'm missing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newbie99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Forgot to add: the kitten has lost 10grams (last checked two days ago.).

ck2d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd recommend a visit to the vet, but first of all, see if he's hungry. Get some kitten milk replacement and try to feed him. There could be a problem with his mother's milk.

newbie99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My hubby is on his way now. Pretty sure mama cat's milk dried up. Her teets aren't as swollen and I just saw him try to nurse and I could tell he was frustrated and she was uncomfortable.

newbie99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tried KRM and kitten didn't really seem interested. Not sure if its just because it's new, or he doesn't need it.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may need to try a different kind of nipple like a smaller one . you can get some small that fit on a feeding syringe and feed that way. just put in a very small amount at a time,, make sure he swallows.

YOu can try first rubbing some dextrose or corn syrup ( like the white Karo syrup if you live where that is available) on his gums to perk up his blood sugar if it is low.

You can add a very small amount of that to the formula too to try to entice him

if he won't take it via a bottle or syringe, you will need to tube feed. and I would recommend that a vet show you how to do that the first time.
Because this kitten has already been crying for a few days and may have not been getting much nutrition, I would not delay at all. A kitten needs to feed every few hours or will get hypoglycemic . You may need to go to an emergency vet today if you can't get that kitten feeding this AM.