2 sweet ferals are now indoor only - will they ever be comfortable with us?

2feralkitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask for some support to make sure that I am doing the right things for my two little ferals that I have brought into my home. I have always had cats raised from kittens and/or that came loving human interaction. There is a large amount of text below to give you info on my new babies.

I’ve read through many many threads and appreciate all of the great advice and support you have given to each other! I have two feral cats that I brought in to my basement at the end of October (2022) when the family that was feeding them outside their home was planning to move and they would no longer be cared for. I live in a different part of town from where they were being fed and will not be letting them back outside. They and about 6 others had been fed outside for about a year by this family. All of the others were adopted or taken by the family.

Ash and Fox are both extremely afraid of people and the only way I am able to see them is through the cameras I have set up in the basement. They hide when they hear us walking or even scooting a chair on the main floor above them and usually only come out in the basement once my son and I leave for the day for work and school.

I have set up various warm hiding spots for them around the large open basement area that we use as storage, as well as 2 litter boxes that are cleaned once in the morning and once at night, 2 bowls of dry food and wet food (wet bowls cleaned and changed in morning and night), 2 water bowls away from food areas, an area rug with a scratcher and cat tree from Santa, window area with a smaller cat tree that they sit near and look outside, 2 little cat cubes they can lay on top of and in, and a spot under a covered table with a kitty tunnel with another bowl of dry and (fresh) wet food.

The first vet visit back at the beginning of November was a few days after I brought them inside. Upper respiratory infection for the big boy Ash who the vet guesses is 4 years old, whole body allergic reaction to fleas for the little guy Fox who the vet guesses is 2, and the start of all of their flea meds, deworming, vaccines, etc. The next vet visit in December was to neuter Ash, more tests and vaccines (neither have feline leukemia or anything else yay!), and other tests on Fox (already fixed but no chip) because he is only 6 pounds and didn’t gain any weight in the month I had him. We go back in January for Ash to have his teeth removed due to Stomatitis, more vaccines for both, and to see if Fox has been able to gain any weight.

These vet visits have been the only time I’ve been able to touch or really even see them up close and I loved that, but hated that it most likely traumatized them. They run, hide, fight when I need to get them (bought the long gloves after deep gouges from Ash), and are still not comfortable with their carriers after putting food and treats in them and leaving them out, and consistently using feliway plug ins and spray. They took a couple of days after each vet visit to come back out of hiding to eat and drink and use litter boxes, but I can tell they both feel much better after antibiotics and treating for fleas etc. by the way they eat and drink and use their litter boxes, explore around the basement area, lay on and use the scratching areas on their rug, and look out the window. Neither climbs the cat trees, yet.

Bigger boy Ash likes to follow Fox around when he is out and tends to swat at him, trill to him (my cameras have sound), and sometimes will take over eating out of whatever bowl Fox is eating. Little Fox usually goes to another bowl or to his litter box when this happens. I do see Fox eating alone at times, too, so I know he is getting to eat. They have started hiding in the same bottom shelf area together, so I know Fox is not too scared of Ash. They will also eat in bowls side by side. I have a dry and wet bowl of food together on a mat and another set of the same a little bit away with something breaking up the line of sight, plus another of the same under a covered table where I see little Fox go alone.

I’m worried little Fox may need to be separated some from Ash in order for him to get uninterrupted feeding time and gain weight, but I think that would traumatize him even more as they seem to get comfort from each other a lot of times, especially when hiding from our sounds or when I go down to take care of them. I do the sitting with them while reading, slow blinking if they ever look at me from their hiding spot, talking to them, playing music etc.during the morning or evening care times because if I go down more during the daytime or evenings they will stay hidden longer and not come out to eat or drink or use the litter boxes. Each time I go down there, I always leave treats for them that they love and I see them eat at a later time. I have two different lamps that I turn on to create a routine of morning and night feedings with one that stays on during the day and one at night so they always have some light even on overcast days.

They got many toys from Santa, but don’t know how to interact or play with them. I am taking it slow and didn’t even try any of this until they had been here almost 2 months. If I try to get close enough to use the toys on a stick, they run away to another hiding spot or turn away and go deeper where they are hiding.

I know this will be a very long process, but I hate that they still are unable to come out of hiding when hearing us on the floor above and will be traumatized by another vet visit in a week or so. I’m also worried about Ash’s recovery from full teeth removal and if I need to separate them or when to try to acclimate them to coming upstairs with us. There are so many unknowns and without being able to see or touch them I feel lost not being able to see and understand how they are really doing on a day to day basis.

Thanks so much if you read my wall of text and have any other slow-going feral to house-cat stories to share. Everyone else seems to be able to at least have their ferals come out near them after a couple of months, but I am not sure if or when that may ever happen for us. Take care!

pictured are Ash (big boy, gray) and Fox (little void)❤❤

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are doing literally everything right, except handling your expectations ☺💐. There are members here where things have taken a year. Other than not liking the carriers which is nearly a universal cat thing 😉 I think they're doing marvelously.

Until you start to see that they're really comfortable with your sounds, talking etc, I wouldn't be concerned about bringing them upstairs because you could end up with a startled/frightened cat who vanishes.
See how things go at the vet visit and remind the vet that any meds will need to be given in the food. And you're right, you might need to think about a way to divide the basement for a bit so Fox doesn't eat any of the medicated food.

Otherwise, give them all the time they need. There's no rush, they are with you now, safe, sheltered and loved 😍.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2feralkitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your first sentence is so on target about my expectations. Thanks so much! I know this but needed to hear it from other cat parents who have heard or know about feral cats and to hear it can take a year(s). Thanks again!
You are doing literally everything right, except handling your expectations ☺💐. There are members here where things have taken a year. Other than not liking the carriers which is nearly a universal cat thing 😉 I think they're doing marvelously.

Until you start to see that they're really comfortable with your sounds, talking etc, I wouldn't be concerned about bringing them upstairs because you could end up with a startled/frightened cat who vanishes.
See how things go at the vet visit and remind the vet that any meds will need to be given in the food. And you're right, you might need to think about a way to divide the basement for a bit so Fox doesn't eat any of the medicated food.

Otherwise, give them all the time they need. There's no rush, they are with you now, safe, sheltered and loved 😍.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 7 cats living inside my house. All but one of them is a former feral who lived outside on my property before I moved and brought them all with me.

The first feral I brought inside took one complete year to adjust to inside living. There were lots of one step forward and 2 steps back. The best advice I can give is to not have lofty expectations. Each cat is different and unique. Setting intentions on what you think they should be doing will only stress you out and then in turn stress the cats out. I like to celebrate each tiny milestone and remember that it was a huge deal for the cat. We humans, work on time and expectations of when and how things should be done. Cats don't work that way! I always liked to have next steps in mind. Yet many of the next steps had to be broken down into tiny micro steps.

As far as getting them to the vet and into carriers, have you asked the vet for gabapentin? I have used it many times to get my feral cats to the vet when needed. The hardest issue is getting the cat to take it. It can come in liquid form which is usually horrible tasting unless you get it compounded. You can also get it compounded into treats. I have bought gabapentin in microtabs and then placed in a pill pocket or even plain cooked chicken. Wedgewood Pharmacy is excellent. Your vet can call in the prescription. Talk to your vet about it.
I used to try and have a morning appointment with the cat. I would give one dose ( usually 100 mg, but you tiny cat may only need 50 mg) the night before usually around 10-11pm. It takes 1-2 hour to get fully into the body. Most of the time, the cat acts a bit drunk. They are wobbly on their feet, but they also lose inhibitions making it easier to pick them up. The day of the appointment you want to give another dose about 2-3 hours before the appointment so you can get the cat into the carrier. You can do a google search on using gabapentin on hard to handle cats.

Since one of the cats is tiny and needs to eat, could you stay in the room when you feed them and watch to see that he is getting the food? I have to sit in the room with 3 of my cats during meal time to be sure they all only eat their own food. If they are not comfortable eating with you there, you can start by bringing yummy delicious treats for them. Try plain cooked chicken or pieces of canned tuna. Start by tossing some in their direction. It may take a bit. Then just sit on the floor and watch and wait. Be sure to keep your gaze down so you aren't making direct eye contact. This is threatening to them.

Also are you free feeding or feeding on a schedule? A scheduled feeding is best. Also high quality wet food especially for the underweight kitty.

You are doing great and thank you so much for helping these cats and taking them into your home. You are giving them a wonderful life. We are all here to help so ask lots of questions.

2feralkitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all of the information and the experience with your feral taking a year! This is what I need to hear.

I do add canned chicken as high quality food occasionally because they would never eat the fresh chicken. I need to also try to baby food mentioned in other threads. I feel like it may be hard to dose them without separating them because they will not eat or anything else if they hear us on the floor above or in the room with them. I will check with the vet about it. Thank you.

I free feed but put wet out on a schedule. I refill dry food bowls and give fresh wet food once in the mornings and once night. I will be talking with the vet more thoroughly about the little one and their weight at our vet appointment next week. Thank you for the ideas!

I have 7 cats living inside my house. All but one of them is a former feral who lived outside on my property before I moved and brought them all with me.

The first feral I brought inside took one complete year to adjust to inside living. There were lots of one step forward and 2 steps back. The best advice I can give is to not have lofty expectations. Each cat is different and unique. Setting intentions on what you think they should be doing will only stress you out and then in turn stress the cats out. I like to celebrate each tiny milestone and remember that it was a huge deal for the cat. We humans, work on time and expectations of when and how things should be done. Cats don't work that way! I always liked to have next steps in mind. Yet many of the next steps had to be broken down into tiny micro steps.

As far as getting them to the vet and into carriers, have you asked the vet for gabapentin? I have used it many times to get my feral cats to the vet when needed. The hardest issue is getting the cat to take it. It can come in liquid form which is usually horrible tasting unless you get it compounded. You can also get it compounded into treats. I have bought gabapentin in microtabs and then placed in a pill pocket or even plain cooked chicken. Wedgewood Pharmacy is excellent. Your vet can call in the prescription. Talk to your vet about it.
I used to try and have a morning appointment with the cat. I would give one dose ( usually 100 mg, but you tiny cat may only need 50 mg) the night before usually around 10-11pm. It takes 1-2 hour to get fully into the body. Most of the time, the cat acts a bit drunk. They are wobbly on their feet, but they also lose inhibitions making it easier to pick them up. The day of the appointment you want to give another dose about 2-3 hours before the appointment so you can get the cat into the carrier. You can do a google search on using gabapentin on hard to handle cats.

Since one of the cats is tiny and needs to eat, could you stay in the room when you feed them and watch to see that he is getting the food? I have to sit in the room with 3 of my cats during meal time to be sure they all only eat their own food. If they are not comfortable eating with you there, you can start by bringing yummy delicious treats for them. Try plain cooked chicken or pieces of canned tuna. Start by tossing some in their direction. It may take a bit. Then just sit on the floor and watch and wait. Be sure to keep your gaze down so you aren't making direct eye contact. This is threatening to them.

Also are you free feeding or feeding on a schedule? A scheduled feeding is best. Also high quality wet food especially for the underweight kitty.

You are doing great and thank you so much for helping these cats and taking them into your home. You are giving them a wonderful life. We are all here to help so ask lots of questions.
[/QUOTE

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Time. Patience. You’re doing great! I have started letting people know about one of my most helpful tricks. I rub catnip on my shoes. A good quality catnip. It is an attractant and the ferals will often approach my shoes just to rub on the catnip as long as I stay very still. I start by leaving some catnip in a carrier, cage or other places I want them to go. The scent from my shoes is carried wherever I go while tending the needs of the kitty. The cats learn. Good things come with catnip! Lol Also, leave a blanket or clothing you have worn where they can get used to your scent. Cats have great noses! They have scent glands in their little chins and you may see them rubbing their face on your clothing. If they do, you have captured their scent and can wear that clothing when you are handling them. It helps during bonding, vet appointments and other circumstances to make them feel more secure. The scent of home. Safety. I often use large cages when taking cate of any cat needing medication to be sure they get it. A small bathroom is a great place too. It will have to be cat proofed but I find that socializing is much easier if the kitties see us. No rush on that though. Everything goes in little steps. Kitten steps. You’re awesome! You saved two lives. Kitty guardians are kitty heros!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! Your post made me cry happy tears! Another kitty hero! Thank you.

As others said, you are doing a very good job and all is fine, no worries. I once had the most feral kitten I knew, but yes, time and patience are the key. She turned out to be the most loving, sweet cat I knew before she went to her forever home.

You can visit Ash and Fox more often and just sit there and read a book in a soft voice, or just be there while doing facebook etc on your phone. In time they will familiarize with your scent and the sound of your voice. Even when they look at you, do not look at them and pretend you do not see them. One day I guarantee that one or both of them will just hop onto your lap - and that would be the most gratifying feeling ever!

Goodluck. We are so looking forward for your updates!! Bless you.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you are doing all the right things 😀 it can take a long time with cats who are truly feral who were born outside or even for hose who are dumped and living out there for a while. I have two now who are not touchable.

Fred has been inside for about six months now, and Cinnamon just came in about two weeks ago. They were great friends outside- best buddies forever, so, I’m hoping with Cinn inside now it will help them to become more social and maybe touchable in time. Fred interacts with my other cats but they do tend to chase him behind, his fave spot. Zena is his best friend out of my other three. But he won’t let me touch him or get too close to me at all still. He is actually coming to my room 2 to 3 times when you seen I was there and washed himself once but he hasn’t done that for quite a while.

There’s going to be a lot of steps forward and 10 steps backward apparently. I just hope in time he will interact more and maybe even be touchable…he did once sniff my finger when I was feeding him, putting the food dish down outside but that was it.

treeclimber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are doing well - it just takes a lot of time!

One thing I like to do with people-shy cats is sit In their space and ignore them. Read a book, watch Netflix, take a nap, eat dinner, etc. If a cat approaches, don’t notice or acknowledge its presence, let it check you out on its own terms.

If you try eating in the basement, include a cat-safe food like tuna canned in water, and “accidentally” drop or leave some. They probably won’t come out and eat it until you’re gone, but as the ritual becomes more familiar they might start creeping closer to wait while you’re eating.

I like to combine the food and the nap - leave some tasty-smelling cat-safe remnants of my “dinner” sitting out, then move a reasonable distance away and take a nap. I think from a cat’s perspective, sleeping at them is one of the least threatening things a human can do.

2feralkitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! I will definitely start the catnip on shoes and clothing ideas. Thank you!

Time. Patience. You’re doing great! I have started letting people know about one of my most helpful tricks. I rub catnip on my shoes. A good quality catnip. It is an attractant and the ferals will often approach my shoes just to rub on the catnip as long as I stay very still. I start by leaving some catnip in a carrier, cage or other places I want them to go. The scent from my shoes is carried wherever I go while tending the needs of the kitty. The cats learn. Good things come with catnip! Lol Also, leave a blanket or clothing you have worn where they can get used to your scent. Cats have great noses! They have scent glands in their little chins and you may see them rubbing their face on your clothing. If they do, you have captured their scent and can wear that clothing when you are handling them. It helps during bonding, vet appointments and other circumstances to make them feel more secure. The scent of home. Safety. I often use large cages when taking cate of any cat needing medication to be sure they get it. A small bathroom is a great place too. It will have to be cat proofed but I find that socializing is much easier if the kitties see us. No rush on that though. Everything goes in little steps. Kitten steps. You’re awesome! You saved two lives. Kitty guardians are kitty heros!
Thank you so much! I will definitely start the catnip on shoes and clothing ideas. Thank you!

2feralkitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I do hope that happens someday but I realize it may be a long, long process. I will keep sitting with them and hoping! Thank you!

Wow! Your post made me cry happy tears! Another kitty hero! Thank you.

As others said, you are doing a very good job and all is fine, no worries. I once had the most feral kitten I knew, but yes, time and patience are the key. She turned out to be the most loving, sweet cat I knew before she went to her forever home.

You can visit Ash and Fox more often and just sit there and read a book in a soft voice, or just be there while doing facebook etc on your phone. In time they will familiarize with your scent and the sound of your voice. Even when they look at you, do not look at them and pretend you do not see them. One day I guarantee that one or both of them will just hop onto your lap - and that would be the most gratifying feeling ever!

Goodluck. We are so looking forward for your updates!! Bless you.

2feralkitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for sharing your experience! Hoping the best for yours, too!

It sounds like you are doing all the right things 😀 it can take a long time with cats who are truly feral who were born outside or even for hose who are dumped and living out there for a while. I have two now who are not touchable.

Fred has been inside for about six months now, and Cinnamon just came in about two weeks ago. They were great friends outside- best buddies forever, so, I’m hoping with Cinn inside now it will help them to become more social and maybe touchable in time. Fred interacts with my other cats but they do tend to chase him behind, his fave spot. Zena is his best friend out of my other three. But he won’t let me touch him or get too close to me at all still. He is actually coming to my room 2 to 3 times when you seen I was there and washed himself once but he hasn’t done that for quite a while.

There’s going to be a lot of steps forward and 10 steps backward apparently. I just hope in time he will interact more and maybe even be touchable…he did once sniff my finger when I was feeding him, putting the food dish down outside but that was it.

2feralkitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! I actually did lay down on their rug last night and was thinking it may be a good thing to do more often. I will keep ignoring and spending time with them while I eat and read and rest. Thank you!

You are doing well - it just takes a lot of time!

One thing I like to do with people-shy cats is sit In their space and ignore them. Read a book, watch Netflix, take a nap, eat dinner, etc. If a cat approaches, don’t notice or acknowledge its presence, let it check you out on its own terms.

If you try eating in the basement, include a cat-safe food like tuna canned in water, and “accidentally” drop or leave some. They probably won’t come out and eat it until you’re gone, but as the ritual becomes more familiar they might start creeping closer to wait while you’re eating.

I like to combine the food and the nap - leave some tasty-smelling cat-safe remnants of my “dinner” sitting out, then move a reasonable distance away and take a nap. I think from a cat’s perspective, sleeping at them is one of the least threatening things a human can do.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laying belly up shows in cat language that you are giving them your most vulnerable and trusting position. Turning your back to them means you are just doing your own thing and ignoring them. This tends to make them curious and they feel they can just slip past you. Lol Cat language. Putting food near your back as you sit still or lay still may bring them closer and eventually, putting food on your lap or (if laying down) on your tummy may lead them to eat from you. I often lay down immobile with a treat in open palm. I do not move but let them eat the treat.