2 Semi Ferals Neutered Yoday

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our 2 semi ferrals who we brought in perm this week, i put in crates this morning and we r getting both neutered. Will they hate me and be mad at me and stay far away from me
The one cat keeps crying. He trusted me and now i do this. What am i going to expect after they neutered will they trust me. Will they be afraid to go in the room where i put them in the crate
We had trust and afraid now its gone

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always go through this when I trap my strays to bring in, they are SO afraid, it is absolutely heartbreaking. I always get sick to my stomach, and have to concentrate on something else, I want to cry when I think of what they are going through. The trip to the vet is excruciating. Of course they are afraid and confused. But just concentrate on what you are giving them, a life without constant fighting, no more abscesses then you can count, no torn ears and lost eyes, all that I see on my feral toms. A life where the toms will ignore them now, and they will live a much longer, happier life because of you. I get this way even though I have literally brought in more than I can count.
So I can tell you with confidence, they will be SO happy to see you when you pick them up, you are their savior!Keep them in the room they are familiar with, and make sure they have places to go to hide for a while. I have never put a e-collar on and have never had any problems, I think trying to put something like this on them would panic them even more. Neutering means they will be back to almost normal in a day. There may be a little blood, just watch for extreme swelling or pus. But I have never encountered that even on those that are released back outside right away.
Just go into the room, don't force anything and talk calmly to them when they come home, leaving food and treats. They will come around, I promise you, it may take a few days, but it will happen. I have even accidently stepped on them and hurt their tail. etc. and they come around in a couple of days after avoiding me for a while, food does wonders!
The hardest part is done, putting them in those crates, so get it done and make their lives so much happier, if you need to cry, go ahead, we are here for you! I'll pray for them both!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your words are very jelpful. Thank you so much for taking hje time to write this. I am about to cry

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi D dana17

Don't worry, they will forgive you. I know exactly how you feel, I've TNR'd over 30 cats now and I always feel terrible when I have to trap them and take them to the vet. You are doing the right thing. They won't think of you as the person who trapped them. they will remember you as the person who brought them home from the vet and let them out of the crate.

Things are going to be so much better for them once they are neutered. Just hang in there. The next day or two will be tough, but it will be OK in the end.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Using deceit to trick, contain them for neuter... guilt and feeling like a heel...understood, been there. But you must think forward, long term in their best interests.

Looking outside, major blizzard/snow/wind/cold today...1 year ago Bug was out in this stuff!

As a last resort..I was forced to trick and muscle him into a cardboard box for transport to the vet....at the time I felt quite low....but looking back...best thing I could do for him. He's safe and warm today! Looking out a window...I'd guess he's thankful to be in Kitty Club Med here!

THINK LONG TERM!

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Love that! ur cat seems so happy, he is lucky have u.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't want to derail your thread here D dana17 ....but I'm privileged to have "saved" both Bug and Princess. Left outdoors.... I shudder to think of the ramifications. Caring for them brings me great satisfaction. Ex stray/ferals.... they are not perfect little lap kitties, we're still working on human interaction and closeness.

Princess, in particular, has an issue with human touch. She's very skittish. Prior abuse? The learning/domesticating process is ongoing.

Did I mention I choose to spoil them rotten? : )

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will be over soon, and the life you are giving them is a thousand percent better than what they would have had. Please post ASAP when they are home!

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Of course, pics will be posted. We have a nice room ready for them. We spoil ours too. We started with 1, a female who came to us, who got pregnant twice, having 8 kittens. 1 was a few weeks old, got hit by a car and we found him, gave him a nice burial, recently we have 4 full time, the mom amd 1 son stay outside and she is spayed now and 2 we have inside. One comes around for food. One gone for months and i pray for his health and saftey
Lastly 1, very shy comes around every other day now with the bad weather. The one cat is a male and dominant, so they are all scared of him. Him and tjr mom or BFF. If you could see the set up inside and outside we have for them, haha
These cats have been my therapy while my mother battled cancer and when she lost her battle on May 29, 2016, which is why im overprotective of my cats. They helped me through my toughest times.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear of loss of your Mom. Glad the kitties offer some therapeutic, positive diversion. Its really satisfying to know that they have been saved...they're so helpless and vulnerable when starving and straying. I felt so sorry for them...I took 2 in, 6 months apart...immediately..without any hesitation.

Regarding spoiling....in view of their past hardships...they are spoiled as well...without any hesitation. They deserve no less.

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are now neutered!!!, so will the crying by the sliding door go away soon.
This hurts my heart and not sleepoing

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YAY!! They will want to go out, but the urge to do so will lessen as the hormones leave their bodies. That can take up to thirty days after being neutered. They are so much better off, I hope you will sleep better knowing they are safe and warm. Things will go much better now, they will learn to trust you again quickly, and love you even more. If, six months from now they still aren't happy, you could try to let them out for a while if you decide to. Just remember, they are much more safer in your house. All the luck!

dana17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are doing great, very loveable, still mostly stay upstairs in one bedroom to sleep. They also hang out around our sliding back door to see outside. We want them hang out with us in the tv room, this will take time. They enjoy scratches. At night they mostly cry and 6 in morning.
We will be away most of day and overnight and be back around 11 Monday so im a nervous mom.
They seem happy, tails up and both are brothers which help.
Im happy both are warm anpd we spoil both.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they will be fine, in time they will learn to sleep at night.I KNOW they are blessed to have found two such lovely people to love them!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just saw this - and it looks like you've gotten over the major hump (the part where I do most of my crying!). My husband and I have both been there - so glad you cared so much for these two that you were willing to put yourself through all of this stress. It is gut wrenching - but SO worth it in the end - for them AND you! And that these two are even going to get to be spoiled inside babies - they'll be living the life! They will learn not to cry - they're probably just reacting to the times that their bodies tell them it's time to go hunt/eat/prowl. They'll learn they're safe, and that food will come (plentifully and often) and so will you, with lots of love. It takes time for testosterone to leave their bodies too, so they'll get there.

Post pics of your new boys when you can ! And congrats on bringing two wonderful new lives into your home :)